GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question about twin screw blowers......help me pick one.

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/09, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. Just to be clear....I'm not bashing blower whine....I get it...some people love it and that's cool. I'm sure I can get used to some noise (or music) as I'm getting pushed back in the seat from all the extra power on tap!
Old 11/14/09, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the vids. Hard to tell on the dyno, but the Saleen does sound like a jet! They all make incredible numbers.
Old 11/14/09, 08:34 AM
GT Member

heres a video...

Heres a video of my Edelbrock e-force in car, running the 1/4 mile racing my brothers vette. Sorry about the wheel hop on the cam, and my wifes voice at the end..LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvQ1VBLgEgg

I think that Edelbrock either has, or will soon have an e-force for the 2010 GT.

tim
Old 11/14/09, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool vid! I can hear it, but doesn't seem that loud.
Old 11/14/09, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Whipple IMHO.. Proven time and time again to be one of the best blowers on the market. Looks factory sitting under the hood. Doesn't have too much of a "whine" unless you start pushing out high Boost.. Many of guys run them on there daily drivers, so there reliable.. Make great HP and tons of TQ!
Old 11/14/09, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

You say you have your heart set on a twin screw, but the Roush and Edelbrock TVS compressors are not twin screws, but the newest generation roots style blowers. The air charge makes it's way around the outside of the rotors unlike the twin screw design where the air charge gets dumped straight down between the rotors. I think the very best deal out there right now is the Edelbrock system. If Whipple wasn't forced by Ford Motor Company to raise the kit price by about $1000 last year I'd say the Whipple kit is tops too, but it's gotten overpriced...Thanks Ford.

You'll really dig the stump pulling low end torque of a TVS with great mid range power too. I wouldn't even think twice about it and I own a Whipple.
Old 11/14/09, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor

It depends on how fast you're in need of this blower. Our favorite three over here were always Edelbrock, Roush and Whipple. We dabbled off into TECHCO blowers when they came out, had trouble moving them because of the price even though quality was up to par. So we remain on the three above, and here's why:

Edelbrock - Absolutely the best customer support we've received thus far as well as a wealth of technical data. We worked with Rob Simons back and forth many times and I can tell you the guy know's what he's doing. He designed the Saleen blower when he was working for Saleen as an engineer, and Edelbrock pretty much gave him the green light to do as his pleased for this project. The product quality is as always amazing and 90% of the components are made in the USA. It's a TVS blower by Eaton with 100,000 mile oil change intervals and it's up to OE spec. Obviously Eaton will test the TVS to higher standards than any other blower on the market because it is OE equipped on some production vehicles that are DOT like the Corvette ZR1. This is more and more becoming a common blower. Edelbrock's new 2010 kit should retail right around $6000, produce 430 or so horsepower to the tire SAE corrected with 93 octane, and be available within the next month. I have a preorder already going with Edelbrock and have had a purchase order in for a few weeks. If you're interested we're taking $5000 dollar deposits and you could get one of the first few coming out of the assembly line. Very easy install, great color directions that come in a binder, uses stock fuel system, gives you a killer 85mm monoblade throttle body with the largest surface diameter of the competing kits, looks good, VERY quiet at 5-7PSI, good hood clearance for strut tower braces, better torque numbers than competing kits, easy to maintain, has a vehicle warranty available.

Roush - Obviously another great quality name and very easily installed as the Edelbrock. Not as in-depth direction wise, but very easy to install none the less. ALSO comes with a throttle body, from a GT500 as well as GT500 52# injectors. Not neccessarily a benefit, but if you plan on going high horsepower down the road these two items will allow you to go pretty far. Also an Eaton TVS core with the same maintenece and characteristics/sound/quality/etc as the Edelbrock. Makes INSANE power and must turn the boost down for stock bottom end. Reccomended to install GT500 fuel system as well. This system with a good Carmen's pulley set will get you 9PSI or so with the GT500 fuel system and easily hit 480RWHP. You have to detune this kit right out of the box, but what a great system!! Also great customer service on Roush's side and you'll be extremely happy. Roush's pieces are also held to OE specs because of their technology partnership with Ford. This system will, however, probably cost you closer to $6800 with the fuel system and correct pulleys for lower boost.

Whipple - Obviously a S197 favorite because it's been around since they came out, Ford sells and recommends them, proven power, great sound, etc. They also have great customer service and obviously Ford is working with them very closely so their quality has to be up as well. You will have to relocate the intake air temperature sensor behind the blower on this system in my honest opinion. I hate to install/tune them without accurate temperatures. This is about 200 dollars in parts, but you'd still be around $6600 dollars for the black 10psi HO system. The nice thing is that this kit COMES with the GT500 fuel system and will have very good upgradability down the road. It has 39# injectors and a stock throttle body. This is NOT a problem under 525RWHP or so and its only something you'd have to address if you started building a bottom end and were looking for closer to 600RWHP or above. Again, easy to install, even the IAT relocation.

So my honest recommendation would be to look at the three options and see what suits you best.

If you're looking for 430 or so RWHP with daily driveability in mind and never see yourself upgrading from there, go with the Edelbrock kit right out of the box. Even if you did change your mind a few years down the road and wanted more, just get a fuel system and a pulley, retune the car, voila!

If you're looking for insane tire shredding power and plan to build a bottom end down the road, go for the Roush system with the GT500 fuel system as well. You'll have scary power now, and when you're ready to go forged rotating assembly, you'll have even SCARIER power! Someone has to put that **** NastyStang113 in his place! Forged? Pully, retune, 550RWHP like nothing! 600 no problem! 650-700 all day!

If you're looking for insane power, plenty safe, classic whine/looks go for Whipple. You'll still be able to upgrade down the road, just depends on how high up you're going. Might need new injectors depending... but kit already has all the good stuff otherwise! Forged? Pulley, retune, voila! 550-600 RWHP! New injectors 650! 700!

Call us!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
Old 11/14/09, 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

From another very satisfied E-force owner, you can't go wrong with this kit. It runs very quite, on the lower end cost wise for an intercooled kit and really blends in nicely under the hood.

As another sound reference point, here's mine on the dyno...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKEyTIJrzw

But you can't go wrong with any of the set-ups that were outlined thus far! And yes, the power gets addicting and I am already bored with 422RWHP and plan to add a fuel pump set-up along with a new tune in the spring

Last edited by Doogie; 11/14/09 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11/14/09, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Chris, thanks for the great response! Now I need to keep squirreling away those nuts.
Old 11/14/09, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor

I hear you, Dave! Give me a call and I'll get you a great deal shipped on any of the three I mentioned. Or Procharger, if you ever decide to go Centri, we have great deals on them!

Chris
Old 11/15/09, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought the Whipple kit ships with 38 lb injectors from the Ford GT supercar not the 39 lb '03-'04 Cobra injectors. I used 52's with mine.
Old 11/15/09, 06:08 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
I thought the Whipple kit ships with 38 lb injectors from the Ford GT supercar not the 39 lb '03-'04 Cobra injectors. I used 52's with mine.
I've heard them called 39#, 38#, 37# and 34#. It's because Ford doesn't have an accurate flow rating listed on them, and when they sold them under motorsport, everyone finally did the research with Bosch to find out they're actually "34#". But yes, it's the same injector as the GT supercar. You need to up the pressure to 60# or so on that injector, otherwise it will max out on a 10PSI system. I like the 41# bosch's that Edelbrock uses, and 60#ers.
Old 11/16/09, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
It depends on how fast you're in need of this blower. Our favorite three over here were always Edelbrock, Roush and Whipple. We dabbled off into TECHCO blowers when they came out, had trouble moving them because of the price even though quality was up to par. So we remain on the three above, and here's why:

Edelbrock - Absolutely the best customer support we've received thus far as well as a wealth of technical data. We worked with Rob Simons back and forth many times and I can tell you the guy know's what he's doing. He designed the Saleen blower when he was working for Saleen as an engineer, and Edelbrock pretty much gave him the green light to do as his pleased for this project. The product quality is as always amazing and 90% of the components are made in the USA. It's a TVS blower by Eaton with 100,000 mile oil change intervals and it's up to OE spec. Obviously Eaton will test the TVS to higher standards than any other blower on the market because it is OE equipped on some production vehicles that are DOT like the Corvette ZR1. This is more and more becoming a common blower. Edelbrock's new 2010 kit should retail right around $6000, produce 430 or so horsepower to the tire SAE corrected with 93 octane, and be available within the next month. I have a preorder already going with Edelbrock and have had a purchase order in for a few weeks. If you're interested we're taking $5000 dollar deposits and you could get one of the first few coming out of the assembly line. Very easy install, great color directions that come in a binder, uses stock fuel system, gives you a killer 85mm monoblade throttle body with the largest surface diameter of the competing kits, looks good, VERY quiet at 5-7PSI, good hood clearance for strut tower braces, better torque numbers than competing kits, easy to maintain, has a vehicle warranty available.

Roush - Obviously another great quality name and very easily installed as the Edelbrock. Not as in-depth direction wise, but very easy to install none the less. ALSO comes with a throttle body, from a GT500 as well as GT500 52# injectors. Not neccessarily a benefit, but if you plan on going high horsepower down the road these two items will allow you to go pretty far. Also an Eaton TVS core with the same maintenece and characteristics/sound/quality/etc as the Edelbrock. Makes INSANE power and must turn the boost down for stock bottom end. Reccomended to install GT500 fuel system as well. This system with a good Carmen's pulley set will get you 9PSI or so with the GT500 fuel system and easily hit 480RWHP. You have to detune this kit right out of the box, but what a great system!! Also great customer service on Roush's side and you'll be extremely happy. Roush's pieces are also held to OE specs because of their technology partnership with Ford. This system will, however, probably cost you closer to $6800 with the fuel system and correct pulleys for lower boost.

Whipple - Obviously a S197 favorite because it's been around since they came out, Ford sells and recommends them, proven power, great sound, etc. They also have great customer service and obviously Ford is working with them very closely so their quality has to be up as well. You will have to relocate the intake air temperature sensor behind the blower on this system in my honest opinion. I hate to install/tune them without accurate temperatures. This is about 200 dollars in parts, but you'd still be around $6600 dollars for the black 10psi HO system. The nice thing is that this kit COMES with the GT500 fuel system and will have very good upgradability down the road. It has 39# injectors and a stock throttle body. This is NOT a problem under 525RWHP or so and its only something you'd have to address if you started building a bottom end and were looking for closer to 600RWHP or above. Again, easy to install, even the IAT relocation.

So my honest recommendation would be to look at the three options and see what suits you best.

If you're looking for 430 or so RWHP with daily driveability in mind and never see yourself upgrading from there, go with the Edelbrock kit right out of the box. Even if you did change your mind a few years down the road and wanted more, just get a fuel system and a pulley, retune the car, voila!

If you're looking for insane tire shredding power and plan to build a bottom end down the road, go for the Roush system with the GT500 fuel system as well. You'll have scary power now, and when you're ready to go forged rotating assembly, you'll have even SCARIER power! Someone has to put that **** NastyStang113 in his place! Forged? Pully, retune, 550RWHP like nothing! 600 no problem! 650-700 all day!

If you're looking for insane power, plenty safe, classic whine/looks go for Whipple. You'll still be able to upgrade down the road, just depends on how high up you're going. Might need new injectors depending... but kit already has all the good stuff otherwise! Forged? Pulley, retune, voila! 550-600 RWHP! New injectors 650! 700!

Call us!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
What a great post. One of the most informative I've read in a long time!

I too am running the Roush TVS over here in the UK, with one of Carmen's custom 3.75" pulleys (7-8lbs boost) and one of of Tillman's killer tunes! No numbers yet as Chris is still in the process of dialling it in, but I hope to be on a dyno this week. I went the BAP route, rather than GT500 twin pumps, but as I have no plans to go forged any time soon, this will do for now.

Andy.
Old 11/16/09, 02:12 PM

Roush TVS2300 FTW...
Old 11/19/09, 10:12 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks Andy! I can't wait for results!
Old 11/21/09, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed

Call us!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
Very nice write up. Can you give us an IAT comparison of the 3? I am under the impression that the Edelbrock has the largest, most efficient intercooler and the best runner design. Can you give any info that would support/refute this? It is info that could definately help to decide between the 3.
Old 11/21/09, 07:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just upgraded to the 'Polished' Whipple HO kit and couldn't be happier!

Even with a bit of belt slip (losing a pound or two in the upper rpm range) she put down 466whp & 445trq.

(Older pic: I've cleaned things up a bit sense this pic and added the BigBoost Kit)

I did the full install myself from the base 400hp kit to the upgraded HO (BigBoost) kit, so I've had the blower in and out of her a few times now. If you have any questions about the FRPP / Whipple kits just shoot me a pm.

*Chris, you can post the IAT's from mine if you want*

Last edited by 69Mach1-409; 11/21/09 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11/21/09, 07:53 AM
GT Member

10.15 Sec E-force...

Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta1BG...eature=related
Old 11/21/09, 08:16 AM
Former Vendor

It's time to start comparing SAE numbers. The STD corrected numbers throw everything off. If I Standard corrected my numbers, more than half of the supercharged S197's we do would be "over 500RWHP". Anything above 485RWHP SAE corrected on a Dynojet you can bet is 500RWHP Standard corrected.

Anyway, the Whipple, Roush and Edelbrock ALL HAVE THE SAME IAT's. Yes, this is a blanket statement and they probably could find a gap somewhere deep down in someone's temperature controlled labratory with their engineering degree and thousands of hours of research.

Back here on earth, on the street where winter we're freezing our ***** off and summer we're sweating them off, your IAT's will all be roughly within 10 degrees of each other at all times. I see most of these cars start the pull in the mid 90's and low 100 degree temperatures after a few runs, and they hit 6500rpm blowing through maybe 115 degrees or so.... it comes right back down. It may shoot up a little bit on decel, but a second or two at idle and you're fine again.

As you can see, there's team whipple, team edelbrock, etc. Everyone is very proud of their purchase. At the End of the day, they're all very comparable. (Keep in mind I'm comparing the Tillman Edelbrock Stage 1 & 2 packages to the Whipple HO kit and Roush TVS2300)

If I dug around for similar days (humidity, temperature) I could probably find fair enough results. Maybe if I get some time next week I'll look around.
Old 11/21/09, 08:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
I just upgraded to the 'Polished' Whipple HO kit and couldn't be happier!

Even with a bit of belt slip (losing a pound or two in the upper rpm range) she put down 466whp & 445trq.

(Older pic: I've cleaned things up a bit sense this pic and added the BigBoost Kit)

I did the full install myself from the base 400hp kit to the upgraded HO (BigBoost) kit, so I've had the blower in and out of her a few times now. If you have any questions about the FRPP / Whipple kits just shoot me a pm.

*Chris, you can post the IAT's from mine if you want*

mmmmm, I like that engine bay!!

Quick Reply: Question about twin screw blowers......help me pick one.