GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question about twin screw blowers......help me pick one.

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/09, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about twin screw blowers......help me pick one.

I posted this here because i'd like feedback from anyone who has put a blower on their 2005+ 4.6 GT. I've set up a little side account and will keep adding $$ to it so I can eventually take the plunge to F/I. Might take a few years, but where there's a will, there's a way. I have decided on a T/S for a number of reasons....one of them is instant low end punch. I want power as low down as possible. Here are some criteria:

- Budget will be around $6k installed.
- Must be reliable and low maintenance.
- Must be able to perform well on a stock motor (no head or cam work).
- Must be suitable for a daily driver.
- No crazy boost that can harm the motor over time.
- Minimal "whine" sound.

I'd love to end up with at least 400 RWHP...but must have gobs of torque. Not looking for all the power up top. Also, are there any units that are on the quiet side as far as whine goes? Not a big fan of that sound....not a deal breaker though. Some of the companies I've heard of are: Saleen, Roush, Whipple, Ford Racing, Edelbrock, Tork Tech, Kenne Bell....etc. Sure I missed a few. I'd like to know if any stand out from the others.

Anyway, help steer me in the right direction, and be as specific as possible with your reasoning. I really appreciate it.
Old 11/13/09, 04:04 PM
GT Member

edelbrock e force
Old 11/13/09, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Green96GT
edelbrock e force
Can you tell me why? I know they are getting lots of press these days.
Old 11/13/09, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

How "minimal" on the whine?
Old 11/13/09, 05:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Saleen twinscrew.
  • Many different options or "stages" available
  • proven to be very reliable and deliver consistent results
  • little whine, not huge but noticeable
  • OEM looks and reliability
Old 11/13/09, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
How "minimal" on the whine?
Well, I've heard some are quieter than others. I read the Edelbrock has almost no whine while the Ford Racing whines like mad.
Old 11/13/09, 05:18 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I were you I would go with a Saleen. Proven technology, minimal whine.. I'm sure the Edlebrock would be a good choice too..
Old 11/13/09, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those Saleens do look sharp. I know it's about the power, but they do look nice.
Old 11/13/09, 05:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If I could upload a decent vid of my old setup so you could hear it, I would. I think there are soundclips on the Brenspeed website, not of my old car but several others.
Old 11/13/09, 05:48 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I actually have Tom's old Saleen blower. I had a friend in the car and I was trying to get him to notice the whine. He's not a car guy and he couldn't hear it. Of course the LT headers don't help the matter. It's probably the most noticeable for me when I'm on a residential street doing about 30 mph with the windows down and the AC and radio off. If you coast you can hear the normal whine.

When I stomp on it for the life of me I can't hear it. The exhaust is so loud and the adrenalin starts pumping so hard I can't hear it. But I can feel it. I can feel the torque and the rear end trying to break loose. It's a great feeling.

I can't speak for other twin screws because I've never driven them. I think they probably all end up with the same result though. A wicked big grin on your face and the possibility of horns coming out of your head.

Mine dynoed at 479 rwhp and though it only been on this tune for a couple of months, I'm pretty confident I could drive it forever, or at least along time like this.

Again, I know nothing of the others so I won't put them down. I only know I love mine and would do it again in a second.
Old 11/13/09, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO if you want the least whine Whipple and Kenne Bell are out. Both produce quality produce as does the Saleen. Just about any choice is going to get you the performance that you are looking for, just be aware that chasing that "number" is an awfully hard thing to pass up. The more you push it the harder it will be on your car.

Me, I've had my Whipple now for 1-1/2 years on a daily driver and am at 15K miles with the blower putting out 475rwhp/425rwtq. With no maintenance or reliability issues. It does however whine. It's noticeable and I wouldn't have it any other way Totally agree with Gary, the only regret I have with mine is not getting it done sooner. The car was made for a blower, IMO.

Last edited by habu; 11/13/09 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11/13/09, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply...as far as a number, I can imagine how addicting it can get...wanting more and more. I'll just be looking for any way to stay entertained with my ride and avoid the urge to move on to the newer and faster model of the day. Funny, when I took home my Mustang, it felt like a monster. Now it feels like it can't get out of its own way under 4 grand.....amazing how you get used to things.
Old 11/13/09, 07:38 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
.....amazing how you get used to things.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 11/13/09, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

The Roush TVS and Edelbrock don't make much noise. I drive my car every single day and it's been a great blower. No issues with it at all. Both of them can make 400hp with a 6 lbs pulley and than make close to 700 rwhp with a larger pulley. So you're going to have a LOT of room to grow because you'll end up wanting to increase boost someday. I'm running the Roush TVS and couldn't be happier. I think you're going to need to increase your budget slightly a little bit though to be able to get a blower that meets all of that criteria.

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
If I were you I would go with a Saleen. Proven technology, minimal whine.. I'm sure the Edlebrock would be a good choice too..
The Saleens aren't quiet by any means.
Old 11/13/09, 08:13 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
Thanks for taking the time to reply...as far as a number, I can imagine how addicting it can get...wanting more and more. I'll just be looking for any way to stay entertained with my ride and avoid the urge to move on to the newer and faster model of the day. Funny, when I took home my Mustang, it felt like a monster. Now it feels like it can't get out of its own way under 4 grand.....amazing how you get used to things.
A cai/tune was definently a noticable difference in power for me. Maybe go with a CAI/Tune right now that can later work with the blower of choice?

Edit- I see the Steeda CAI works with the saleen.

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 11/13/09 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11/13/09, 08:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by NastyStang113
The Roush TVS and Edelbrock don't make much noise. I drive my car every single day and it's been a great blower. No issues with it at all. Both of them can make 400hp with a 6 lbs pulley and than make close to 700 rwhp with a larger pulley. So you're going to have a LOT of room to grow because you'll end up wanting to increase boost someday. I'm running the Roush TVS and couldn't be happier. I think you're going to need to increase your budget slightly a little bit though to be able to get a blower that meets all of that criteria.

The Saleens aren't quiet by any means.

The Saleen is most definently on the quiet side as far as whine goes compared to most blowers.. I have drivn in one and next to one and the blower noise wasn't that noticable.. The OP didn't say he was looking for absolutely no blower noise.. I'm sure the Roush TVS is a good choice as well. I mean it comes from Roush

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 11/13/09 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11/13/09, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Compared to what though? I've driven quite a few of them, my cousin even owns one. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just disagree.

Here's some videos for the OP. I think the Roush/Edelbrock and Whipple are probably the quietest.

Saleen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVp_x...eature=related

Roush TVS. (Skip to end of video!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyaGgOnXABI

Whipple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohv_O...eature=related

KB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMPxGiC6Bk

Techco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHxRp...eature=related
Old 11/13/09, 08:47 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

From the interior the whipple seems like more of a constant whine compared to the saleen. The Saleen just didn't seem that loud when I rode in it.. But comming from me i really like to hear it!!!

Edit- The Roush and Techco seem pretty quiet from those vids..

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 11/13/09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11/13/09, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

The Techco is quiet?
Old 11/13/09, 09:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by NastyStang113
The Techco is quiet?
From that vid, the hood open, and the camera right in the superchargers face, yea, it seemed pretty quiet.. It had a little whistle but nothing crazy.

Edit- It had some whine at WOT but the exhaust seemed like it drowned it out..

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 11/13/09 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about twin screw blowers......help me pick one.