GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question about oil...

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/07, 02:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about oil...

After searching through posts, it seems like Mobil 1 5w-20 is a popular choice for board members. Are you guys using synthetic Mobil 1 or just that regular kind?

~Ray
Old 2/14/07, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know how it is south of the border, but I am pretty sure in Canada, the only Mobil 1 you can get is full synthetic.

Also check out Royal Purple. Its just a good (IMO), and costs a few cents less a bottle.
Old 2/14/07, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor

The majority of them are using Mobil1 synthetic.

I really would look into Royal Purple like mentioned above, but it's usually a dollar more a bottle?

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/14/07, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

You are prob right about the cost. However, in Canada, mobil1 is sold in Litre bottles, and RP is sold in quarts.

I would suspect for you, both are sold in quarts?
Anyway, since a litre is slightly bigger than a quart, even though the price per bottle is a few cents less, I would bet the cost / unit is more.

I never thought about it really, unil your post.
Old 2/14/07, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor

Ahhh, that's what it is. We sell both in quarts. What you said makes perfect sense, though. I wish they sold it in litres, more often!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/14/07, 04:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic is basically overpriced Group III engine oil (fake synthetic) like Castrol Syntec. A member at BITOG did a gas chromatography test on some M1 and found it contained a Group III basestock. It appears Mobil is now playing the "full synthetic" game with its customers.
Old 2/14/07, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Mobil 1 synthetic is basically overpriced Group III engine oil (fake synthetic) like Castrol Syntec. A member at BITOG did a gas chromatography test on some M1 and found it contained a Group III basestock. It appears Mobil is now playing the "full synthetic" game with its customers.
Where did you get this info?
Old 2/14/07, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd like to see the source too not calling you out or anything just would like to see some actual testing on these oils.
Old 2/14/07, 08:09 PM
Former Vendor

Go royal purple and there's no mixups!

As far as Mobil1 goes, I've never heard of any issues there. Everyone I know raves about Mobil1 like it's a Jennifer Anniston sitcom?

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/14/07, 09:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much difference is there in full synthetic oils? Seams like every oil co. out there has one. If there is a major difference, who should we all stay away from? If we just change our oil on a regular basis, with whoevers oil is that good enough?
Old 2/14/07, 10:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Taco Bill has a very good write up in his how to area I think on the Mobil one or if you go to mobil site there are some engineers statements on the products that offer some good repour. & what I read of Mobil 1 I'll most likely lean thata way.
http://mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...ics/Myths.aspx
And Royal Purple :
http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html
I never heard of it before.
Attached Thumbnails Question about oil...-img_1194.jpg  
Old 2/14/07, 10:25 PM
Cobra Member

I only use Mobil1 full synthetic in all my cars. The only oil that is good enough.
Old 2/15/07, 07:08 AM
Former Vendor

Royal Purple is used by most NHRA vehicles. It's a better choice.

That link shows why, just like mentioned above.
Old 2/15/07, 07:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I use Mobil 1 but Royal Purple and Red Line are great oils too.
The main things are
a)Change your oil regularly
b)Change your oil filter regularly
c)All (3) brands listed above are great brands, use the one that gives you the most Peace of Mind.
Old 2/15/07, 08:11 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I use Mobil 1 but Royal Purple and Red Line are great oils too.
The main things are
a)Change your oil regularly
b)Change your oil filter regularly
c)All (3) brands listed above are great brands, use the one that gives you the most Peace of Mind.
Good way to put it. Basically, try them all out, and see which one you like the best. Use a good filter too!!! No FRAM cardboard bullcrap.
Old 2/15/07, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed

Im guessing you sell Royal Purple?...and if NHRA teams(top fuel, prostock), its only used one run anyway and if its legit racing oil, it does not have a regular additives package in it. RP for the street is loaded up with sulfer and phosphurus additives which you don't want in a engine that is new or in good condition. Ive seen the dyno tests that claim its wonderful...that doesnt mean anything.

Someone mentioned fake synthetics...that claim has been made but you can start with a petroleum product and change its molecular structure to become a synthetic. Ive ran Mobil 1 for quite some time and have had it tested in the lab for condition and ran a acid number on it after varied mileages. It says 15K mile oil on the bottle and it will hold true in a street car.
Old 2/15/07, 08:23 AM
Former Vendor

We've been running Royal Purple since the 1980's in both street/track/all out race vehicles and never had one issue regardless of the molecular structure. I haven't tested it in a lab, nor under a microscope. But I have tested it in over 100+ vehicles in the last say... 1-2 years? Absolutely no problems.

Anyone that has a NEW MOTOR for break in would know that they need to use Shell Rotella oil in order to properly break in because of the additives, and then switch to a Royal purple down the road!

Yea, we're a royal purple dealer. But we're also a Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Wolfs Head, Amsoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Red Line dealer as well. So I'm not saying that because I sell just that or anything?

As far as race vehicles, you're right. It's different than steet oils. Here is the difference

http://royalpurple.com/homer/homer.html

I never said go run XPR 5W20 for Alcohol and Nitrous cars! I said the brand Royal purple is used in NHRA.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/15/07, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Show me something from an independent firm and I will think twice. When you post something from the company's website, that doesn't mean crap in my book. Until then, I will use Mobil1.
Old 2/15/07, 08:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Good way to put it. Basically, try them all out, and see which one you like the best. Use a good filter too!!! No FRAM cardboard bullcrap.
6 qt Mobil 1 5W-20 / 5W-30 (for those w/o access to 5W-20)
FL-820-S

Every 3000 miles ought to do it for everyone here and allow you to stick to the manufacturer's recommended service interval to avoid voiding the warranty. Ford's definition of "normal" duty is quite vague. The majority of people that would use a Stang as a daily driver would fall under severe duty: 10-15 mile trips, stop and go driving, etc... I've heard of people having their powertrain warranty voided because they followed a 5k service interval when they fell under the severe duty category.
Old 2/15/07, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK...I'll ask again. Where did you get/hear this info?

Quick Reply: Question about oil...