GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question about 20's

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 06:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am thinking about getting 20's but I have some question's. Do you have to upgrade the brakes when you get 20's, do they decrease ride quality, and do they slow down the car at all. Thanks
Old 2/6/06, 07:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the foose nitrous 20x10 in the rear and 20x8.5 in the front. i love them. you dont have to get a different brake setup, I haven't. You deff. feel the bumps more. I havent noticed them slow down the car any but i do get better traction off the line with the 275's in the rear.
Old 2/6/06, 07:24 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CAL05GT @ February 6, 2006, 6:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have the foose nitrous 20x10 in the rear and 20x8.5 in the front. i love them. you dont have to get a different brake setup, I haven't. You deff. feel the bumps more. I havent noticed them slow down the car any but i do get better traction off the line with the 275's in the rear.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks, what I was most concerned about was upgrading the brakes because I would like to leave in the stock brakes. Can you drop the car any with 20's. Like eibach's, or steeda lowering spring's?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CAL05GT @ February 6, 2006, 6:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Thank's, what I was most concerened about was upgrading the brakes because I would like to leave the stock brakes on. Can you lower the car any with 20's, like eibach's or steeda lowering springs?
Old 2/6/06, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005sonicgt @ February 6, 2006, 6:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks, what I was most concerned about was upgrading the brakes because I would like to leave in the stock brakes. Can you drop the car any with 20's. Like eibach's, or steeda lowering spring's?
Thank's, what I was most concerened about was upgrading the brakes because I would like to leave the stock brakes on. Can you lower the car any with 20's, like eibach's or steeda lowering springs?
[/b][/quote]
You can leave the stockers on and lower the car to, do a search in the appearence forum it's been done before. 20's ride harder, to some degree if they are heavier they will slow the car down slightly. They affect the gear ratio in such a way that in theory you could actually reach higher speeds.
Old 2/6/06, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

[attachmentid=44652]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005sonicgt @ February 6, 2006, 8:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
You can definitely lower the car with 20's... Most of us that installed 20's have also lowered our rides... I installed STEEDA Sport Springs...
Old 2/6/06, 08:21 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(u-got-stang @ February 6, 2006, 7:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[attachmentid=44652]
You can definitely lower the car with 20's... Most of us that installed 20's have also lowered our rides... I installed STEEDA Sport Springs...
[/b][/quote]

shweet!!! thanks alot everybody, I was soo worried about the whole brake and drop thing, but I think evevrything will work out smoothly! Hey Randy those wheels are pretty nice, how wide are they?
Old 2/7/06, 05:16 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005sonicgt @ February 6, 2006, 9:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
shweet!!! thanks alot everybody, I was soo worried about the whole brake and drop thing, but I think evevrything will work out smoothly! Hey Randy those wheels are pretty nice, how wide are they?
[/b][/quote]
Wheels: 20x9 (front) / 20x10 (rear)
Tires: 245/40/20ZR (front) / 275/35/20ZR (rear)
Old 2/8/06, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always heard the increasing wheel size with stock brakes can cause brake failure. Baer Brakes' site claims that upgrading from stock to 20" wheels on an SUV can result in 20-25ft longer stopping distances from any given speed; although, that may be clever marketing on their part.

"Upgrade your brakes with our 2 grand kit for safety." Yeah, I could see people falling going for that.
Old 2/8/06, 04:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Every_Mn @ February 8, 2006, 5:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've always heard the increasing wheel size with stock brakes can cause brake failure. Baer Brakes' site claims that upgrading from stock to 20" wheels on an SUV can result in 20-25ft longer stopping distances from any given speed; although, that may be clever marketing on their part.

"Upgrade your brakes with our 2 grand kit for safety." Yeah, I could see people falling going for that.
[/b][/quote]

Well the Baer kit for the 05 Mustang is like $1 grand so it's not that bad.
Old 2/8/06, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CAL05GT @ February 6, 2006, 6:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>i do get better traction off the line with the 275's in the rear.
[/b][/quote]

That kind of cracks me up because I have never driven on the stock rims and tires and I think that I have poor traction with my 285's. But I probably get the same amount of traction that you do but I am just used to spinning the tires in 2nd gear at 50 mph.
Old 2/8/06, 11:31 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(300HPGT @ February 8, 2006, 3:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That kind of cracks me up because I have never driven on the stock rims and tires and I think that I have poor traction with my 285's. But I probably get the same amount of traction that you do but I am just used to spinning the tires in 2nd gear at 50 mph.
[/b][/quote]
dont even talk about traction issues! check sig...all that on bald moderate compound 255s in back...tho it is fun to see ricers faces when u chirp 4th on the freeway lol
Old 2/8/06, 11:37 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Every_Mn @ February 8, 2006, 2:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
On SUV's, we drive mustangs. With the upgraded tires on my wheels it will make up for the difference in stopping distance.

Better Gripping Tires = Better Braking
Old 2/9/06, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stkdidy @ February 9, 2006, 12:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
dont even talk about traction issues! check sig...all that on bald moderate compound 255s in back...tho it is fun to see ricers faces when u chirp 4th on the freeway lol
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] for sure ---- can't keep them to the road --- [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

20 x 9s on Rosie and yes, they ride a bit rougher - but it also depends on the rubber - and ima type who don't want to drive a Stang feeling like driving a Lincoln --- so, depends on what you are going for.... and the stock brakes worked fine for about 5K miles now --- with no adjustments other thatn re-calib. of the speedo ---