GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

help me choose KB or saleen

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know there are already a million blower threads, but help me choose i wanna order a charger! i was planning on running the saleen, with the 7.5# pulley, with the cobra injectorts lightning MAF etc. as i am finding out all of the stuff i will need, its getting to be more and more expensive. need a different CAI, engine mounts to lower the motor etc... so now i am looking at the KB 8# intercooled kit. this kit includes the CAI, which goes in the bumper. is this going to be a problem driving in rain? i use my car for work as a daily driver, so i can not afford to have some water hydrolock the motor. this kit includes everything i need to run the setup i want, and its going to be cheaper then ordering everything for the saleen. what should i do? will the LFP TB work with the KB charger? am i going to have to worry about reliability running the 8# setup??
Old 2/6/06, 09:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Whipple!
Old 2/6/06, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As most regulars here know, I was lusting after the Saleen SC for many, many months... I was dead-set on getting one. The Saleen is an awesome unit, and there are many guys out there making awesome power with it. But, I had to wait until a real estate deal was done before I had the cash to buy one. When I finally was able to get it, I decided at the last minute to go with the new Kenne Bell for several reasons.

1. Tuning. I began to get a little uneasy about the tuning. I definitely did not want to go with the weak Saleen-supplied 4psi tune. The most experienced tuners out there for the Saleen SC is JDM Engineering. I was going to use them (they do great work for sure) until I found out their tunes are locked. If you want to change anything, you have to send your XCal to them, they will make the change, and then send it back. I didn't really like the fact that I couldn't take it to a dyno and tweak my own car. On the other hand, the KB comes with a very good 8psi tune as part of the kit. Adam put it in his car, and with no other mods whatsoever, put down 440rwhp right out of the box. Plus, with a good clutch and drag tires, he was easily into the 11's on 8psi with KB's basic tune.

2. Convenience. I really liked the fact that everything you need is in the Kenne Bell kit. I didn't have to piece together injectors, MAF, etc. It's true that JDM does sell a kit that has all that stuff, but that also adds to the price of the blower.

3. Price. When I added up the numbers, I was money ahead to go with the KB, including having custom dyno tune(s) done for my car (note: KB still has yet to release it's tune for auto trannys... but I heard they're working on it now).

You asked about the CAI. I like the fact that it is totally outside the engine bay... the air is much cooler there. And I can't see how rain will cause any problems, unless you decide to drive through water deep enough to submerge the whole front bumber? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Bottom line, you'll be happy with either kit... but I'm happier with the KB. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya i think im kinda leaning towards the KB kit now. i am not going to use the canned tune, i am going to have it installed and tuned at mustang magic. what do you think about the reliability down the road with the 8# kit?
Old 2/6/06, 10:13 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 6, 2006, 9:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ya i think im kinda leaning towards the KB kit now. i am not going to use the canned tune, i am going to have it installed and tuned at mustang magic. what do you think about the reliability down the road with the 8# kit?
[/b][/quote]

As far as I'm concerned, it's all about the tune, not the boost. Keep it from starving for fuel or detonating and it will be just fine for a long time. We only have like 15-16 degrees of timing in mine right now. I'm trying to work out my schedule so I can get it back to Adam to slap a 10# pulley on it next week. I trust his tunes completely.
Old 2/7/06, 12:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

well im sold. KB it is. DONE.|
Old 2/7/06, 07:32 AM
GT Member

Where are the guys with Saleens? I would like to hear how they are doing.
Old 2/7/06, 10:03 PM

Here's another [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] for the KB. On these runs, Adam was bone stock except for the KB, an upgraded clutch and drag tires. The entire exhaust, gears, and everything else was stock. These 1/8-mi runs are equivalent to low 11's in the 1/4-mi. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]

Adam's runs at Irwindale [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Old 2/7/06, 10:22 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 7, 2006, 12:09 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

hey man where are you at on LI?

you referenced mustang magic
-mike
Old 2/7/06, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

no i live in manhattan, but thats where i get all my work done. i am usually in the hamptons for the summers tho.
Old 2/7/06, 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eighty6gt @ February 6, 2006, 8:33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Whipple!
[/b][/quote]

I agree. or at least wait a couple weeks to see what FRPP/Whipple has to offer in terms of price and completeness of kit. Their torque claims are remarkable. The way it's looking, based on the $1000 difference between Whipple's 8lb. and 10lb. kits, is that they don't appear to think that 8lbs requires the injectors or BAP. As I understand things, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Saleen unit doesn't leave much physical space available for bigger pulleys.
Old 2/8/06, 12:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

but baby wants boost NOW!!! WAAAAAHH [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/panic.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/woohoo.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 06:13 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 8, 2006, 12:52 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
no i live in manhattan, but thats where i get all my work done. i am usually in the hamptons for the summers tho.
[/b][/quote]

oh word. i live in bayside, queens. you should come down friday night were meeting at 10pm @ bay terrace.

how is mustang magics tune work? i might need to stop by there.

do they do gears also?
-mike
Old 2/8/06, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

they do excellent work, and there prices are great, i would definetly stop in and check them out. where is bay terrace at? you ever go down to yonkers on thurs nights??

got any pix?
Old 2/8/06, 07:05 AM
GT Member

What would you guys say if you could buy the Saleen supercharger for $4300 brand new? There was an authorized dealer on ebay from WA who had a new one listed for that price. Do you only get the supercharger from Saleen and thats it, or does it also come with a flash tunner too?
Old 2/8/06, 07:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fastback65 @ February 8, 2006, 9:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What would you guys say if you could buy the Saleen supercharger for $4300 brand new? There was an authorized dealer on ebay from WA who had a new one listed for that price. Do you only get the supercharger from Saleen and thats it, or does it also come with a flash tunner too?
[/b][/quote]

Do you have a link to the SC?
Old 2/8/06, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got my Saleen Series VI for $4370 (new version)...then...
* $100 - 90 mm Lightning MAF
* $100 - 39 lb Cobra injectors
* $265 - 8 lb pulley and belt (I think I got ripped off here)
* $40 - JDM MAF adapter harness
* $30 - CNC flange
* $35 - S&B high flow cone filter
* $80 - heat shield / CAI mount
* $75 - JDM tune

Accessories total $725. Grand total $5095.
Old 2/8/06, 09:43 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ February 7, 2006, 11:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
...that they don't appear to think that 8lbs requires the injectors or BAP. As I understand things, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Saleen unit doesn't leave much physical space available for bigger pulleys.
[/b][/quote]

Stock injectors and a stock fuel pump at 8psi would be rolling the dice in my opinion. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]

And why would you want to put "bigger" pulleys on the Saleen??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] I believe there may be a limit on how small you can go, but it's probably for boosts in excess of 12psi. Last I heard, JDM has a 3.2" pulley that works. You Saleen guys, please correct me here if I'm wrong, but I think the 3.4" pulley is for 10# boost.
Old 2/8/06, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clockworks @ February 8, 2006, 11:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I got my Saleen Series VI for $4370 (new version)...then...
* $100 - 90 mm Lightning MAF
* $100 - 39 lb Cobra injectors
* $265 - 8 lb pulley and belt (I think I got ripped off here)
* $40 - JDM MAF adapter harness
* $30 - CNC flange
* $35 - S&B high flow cone filter
* $80 - heat shield / CAI mount
* $75 - JDM tune

Accessories total $725. Grand total $5095.
[/b][/quote]

got pix of the install?
Old 2/8/06, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(official_style @ February 8, 2006, 11:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
got pix of the install?
[/b][/quote]
Nope, not installed yet. The stupid s/c isn't even in my possession yet. I paid on Dec 24th, it's been a month and a half. I'm getting pretty pissed.

Don, I think you are right about the 3.4" pulley being for 10 lb of boost. I got the 8 lb pulley and it's labeled 3.6".

Quick Reply: help me choose KB or saleen