GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes Violators vs. Mac axle backs

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/07, 06:10 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Pypes Violators vs. Mac axle backs

Hey everyone ! I'm currently running Pypes Violators with my stock H-pipe w/cats, and wanted to get some opinions as to whether the Violators or Mac axle backs are louder with the factory cats still in place ? Anyway as always.. thanks for all your feedback, and support in advance..
Old 9/6/07, 06:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I've heard, the Mac's and Violators are pretty similar.
Old 9/7/07, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MACs FTW!
Old 9/9/07, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had MACs when I originally started changing the exhaust on my car. In fact, they were the first mufflers I had tried. They were not much louder than stock, and right now I am running the Violators with headers and an offroad X pipe. I would definitely say that the Violators are louder, simply because for as much more free flowing as my exhaust is now, the Violators still have a really nice tone to them. Whereas the MACs when coupled with my offroad X pipe where really raspy at certain RPMs. And they had a deeper tone to them.

If you are planning on swapping to an offroad mid pipe at some point, I would stick with the Violators.
Old 9/9/07, 10:25 AM
Cobra R Member

I've noticed nothing but Loudmouths is overly loud compared to stock. Violators were a few dB's louder, and sounded a lot better, but the cats really restrict sound. Either way, though, I love the Violators. Here's before and after my off road h pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM3EVQraxbI
Old 9/9/07, 04:45 PM

Currently, I don't have any plans on upgrading to an off road mid pipe..Although I realize the factory cats restrict the sound ! I've also discovered that a certain amount of back pressure is necessary in order to avoid giving up low and mid range torque..It's also my understanding that once the cats are removed ? the exhaust seems to sound raspy and tinny, along with trumpeting thanks to the 3v variable cam design..That being said ! I'd much rather put up with somewhat of a sound restriction, than end up with a raspy/trumpeting exhaust sound, while also giving up low and mid range torque in the process..
Old 9/9/07, 05:26 PM
Cobra R Member

X pipes generally give the trumpeting. I have no trumpets on my '07. The Pypes o/r h was dynoed at 8 hp and 10 ft/lbs tq gain.

That said, I loved the Violators with and without the off road pipe. A high-flow catted prochamber would go nicely with them as an alternative.
Old 9/9/07, 06:40 PM

According to Brenspeed's test results ! the Pypes off road H produced 8 RWHP and 10 ft lbs. torque only in the upper RPM ranges at WOT..As far as I'm concerned, it's just not worth giving up RWHP and RWTQ in the lower/mid RPM ranges..Although I may consider the Mac catted prochamber, depending on the price However I definitely agree the Violators sound much better over the stock mufflers, even with the factory cats still in place
Old 10/9/07, 03:57 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Bump: So is there a general concensus on this? Violators vs MAC axle-backs... which sounds better?
Old 10/9/07, 04:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
According to Brenspeed's test results ! the Pypes off road H produced 8 RWHP and 10 ft lbs. torque only in the upper RPM ranges at WOT..As far as I'm concerned, it's just not worth giving up RWHP and RWTQ in the lower/mid RPM ranges..Although I may consider the Mac catted prochamber, depending on the price However I definitely agree the Violators sound much better over the stock mufflers, even with the factory cats still in place
It's only a few numbers on each that you're losing, and it's so worth it for the sound. The other numbers can be made up elsewhere. Like lower gears and such. I'd rather have it sound better. I cruise around town a lot more than I race. So I guess it depends what you do more.
Old 10/9/07, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
It's only a few numbers on each that you're losing, and it's so worth it for the sound. The other numbers can be made up elsewhere. Like lower gears and such. I'd rather have it sound better. I cruise around town a lot more than I race. So I guess it depends what you do more.
I pretty much don't race at all anymore, so I mostly cruise around town and attend the local car cruise events..maybe I'm just getting old or something ? but to me ! my Violators sound just right, even with the factory mid pipe, still in place
Old 10/9/07, 10:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I thought you meant giving up hp/tq over stock. I don't think anything is lost over stock, just not gained. In fact, my dyno sheets don't show any loss in torque, but do show gains.

Catted prochamber would sound great. I probably would have went that route, but the off road h is so much cheaper, and I knew that would sound good. Don't get me wrong, the Violators sound great on their own, but for me, they're just too quiet.
Old 10/10/07, 08:28 PM

I was actually considering the MAC high-flow catted prochamber. But at $500 + even for a catted mid pipe ! just isn't worth it, in order to gain just a few more ponies, and perhaps just a slightly louder sound, over the factory mid pipe w/cats..
Old 10/10/07, 08:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I was actually considering the MAC high-flow catted prochamber. But at $500 + even for a catted mid pipe ! just isn't worth it, in order to gain just a few more ponies, and perhaps just a slightly louder sound, over the factory mid pipe w/cats..
What up Rocky! I've been thinking about trying these!
Old 10/10/07, 09:30 PM

Hey Scott ! since becoming a loyal Brenspeed and Pypes customer lol. I've also thought about the Pypes mid muffler system as well. And if I become bored with my Violators down the road ? I'll definitely be upgrading to the Pypes mid muffler set up.. Oh and btw ! if Brent had carried them in stock, before purchasing my Violators ? I wouldn't have hesitated for a moment, in pulling the trigger on them.