GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes Off Road H-Pipe from Brenspeed

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/05, 05:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Hatchman@December 22, 2005, 8:05 AM
I'm going to reset my battery, just to see if that makes a difference. Maybe the computer needs to learn it has lower back pressure.
Reset the computer, drove around for a while, and I feel like I got some of the power back, but not quite where I was before.

Holy cow these things are LOUD! I like loud cars, and every truck or car I've owned has had an exhaust, but this is the loudest yet. Sounds like a straight pipe dragster when you get on it. Stinks a lot more too, really notice it when I back into the garage. Smells like the car aged 20 years over night.

Decided to put these things on probation over the weekend. Putting about 700 miles on the car to travel home and back. I may be putting the stock cats back on. So far, haven't gained anything, and everything is a loss besides the "look at me!" factor.

Too quite before, too loud now, dang I'm just too picky and try to rethink everything too much.

Oh yeah, popped the SES light as well, P0420 and P0430.
Old 12/23/05, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Brad

let us know what your new G tech times are with this H pipe, compared to before. Got me curious. I have the pypes o/r H pipe, but have yet to install it. I don't want to sacrifice performance for the "look at me factor" even if it is only a couple hp's. Already did that once by putting 20 in rims on it, and I'm kind of regretting it even though the car looks sick.

Anyways I've also seen the dyno chart from Brenspeed but it would be nice to have a 2nd opinion in terms of #'s, even if it is just a before/after comparison with the G tech.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12/23/05, 05:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by nicksolheim@December 23, 2005, 2:06 AM
Hey Brad

let us know what your new G tech times are with this H pipe, compared to before. Got me curious. I have the pypes o/r H pipe, but have yet to install it. I don't want to sacrifice performance for the "look at me factor" even if it is only a couple hp's. Already did that once by putting 20 in rims on it, and I'm kind of regretting it even though the car looks sick.

Anyways I've also seen the dyno chart from Brenspeed but it would be nice to have a 2nd opinion in terms of #'s, even if it is just a before/after comparison with the G tech.

Merry Christmas!

I agree. I would be interested in more feedback too before I make the purchase.

Happy holidays everyone!!!
Old 12/23/05, 06:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You bet guys! The computer should reset over the next few days with all the driving I'm going to be doing. So I'll get back to with the results after the weekend. Taking the G'tec home with me, so I'll get some runs in on it.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12/23/05, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nicksolheim@December 23, 2005, 1:06 AM
Hey Brad

Merry Christmas!

I feel the same way, definately sounds like it has a lot more power but th sotp feel seems like I lost a little. I notice it most in top of 2nd and throughout 3rd. I will know more when I take it to the track next month.
Old 12/24/05, 11:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here's a few exhaust clips of the JBA axle backs and Pypes offroad H pipe.

Just JBA, several months ago, car is clean.
JBA axleback

After H pipe was installed
With Pypes H pipe

The clip reall doesn't do the H pipe justice, it is a lot different and louder when you get on it.
Old 12/25/05, 11:54 AM
FR500 Member

oh my god im soo excited now
Old 12/26/05, 01:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well, the pipes are growing on me. Sometimes, when I crank it up, I"m like, DANG this thing is LOUD! But I got into quick race with a couple vehicles today (for just a few feet) and it sure sounded good.

Seat of the pants says power is 100% back and then some. Computer must have just needed to learn the new backpressure. G-tec comfirms it with a .1 second faster run that ever before. And just a note, the G tec was VERY accurate and within less than .1 second of the timeslips for about a dozen drag strip runs. So I have a new best G tec time of 13.29 at 106 mph. Can't wait to take it back to the track to get some new real timeslipls.

But overall, performance wise, very happy with it.

It's still "Slap Your Neighbor" loud, but driving around with the windows down is music to your ears. With the windows up at low rpms and you hit the gas, it sounds a little bit rackety, almost like a pulp wood truck with a leaky header, but once you get it past 3000rpms, it really sings.

On the interstate for over 500 miles with them, between 60 and 80, can't even tell they are there.

There IS, a new higher pitched drone right at 2100 RPM that wasn't there before, but I just drive around it. It's only about 100rpm's wide in bandwidth, but definitely noticeable.

Anyway, for those looking to be louder, meaner, and more power, you should be pleased.
Old 12/26/05, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

so you are saying that I need to reset the computer and the power seems to magically return? Is it okay to do this with a tune? BTW, I have been out of town for almost a week and it is killing me that I can't drive my car.
Old 12/26/05, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

so anybody have a custom tune for this pipe yet?
Old 12/26/05, 11:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by 05-1947@December 26, 2005, 5:38 PM
so you are saying that I need to reset the computer and the power seems to magically return? Is it okay to do this with a tune? BTW, I have been out of town for almost a week and it is killing me that I can't drive my car.

Yeah, I dug it up in an old thread and tried it out. Somehow, the computer relearns with the new lower back pressure. Can't really explain it. Started out feeling sluggish, now faster than ever. Go figure. :scratch: The tune is loaded in the computer, and isn't changed by resetting the battery, so unplugging the battery won't affect your custom tune. I got a new tune from Doug with the rear 02 sensors turned off, so I'll see if it goes back to sluggish again for a few hundred miles.

I don't think there is a tune out for this piece, nor do I think you need one. Brent at Brenspeed also said it doesn't need one, but his Mustang got more horsepower right off the bat without having to drive it around for several hundred miles like mine.

I haven't heard of anyone with an offroad pipe that claimed they had to get a new tune after install. Not saying it wouldn't hurt, just saying I haven't heard anyone say the needed one.
Old 12/27/05, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by S197 GT@December 22, 2005, 1:10 AM
I also felt like I lost a little low end torque! But it sure does scream above 3 grand!
I was talking with someone who did a longtube and X-Pipe install and he told me that on the dyno they were able to regain the low end torque by adding a little more timing and fuel. I may be visiting the dyno when mine comes out of hibernation.
Old 12/27/05, 10:02 AM
GT Member

Just got done installing mine!

I have the off-road H plus flowmasters axle-back. Sounds wicked WOT, had a buddy drive the car on the street and boy she's waken up.

Thanks Brent!
Old 12/28/05, 01:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Have yet to install mine. Was supposed to do it yesterday but was sick as a dog

Hatchman, thanks for the feed back from G-tech.

I gotta get one on those things :bang:
Old 12/28/05, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure thats going to help. If, and it is just an if, you did lose some power it may just be a trade off from having a new part. It happens.
Old 1/7/06, 11:26 AM
FR500 Member

im installing as we speak and im having a problem connecting my top 02 sensor.....its like not long enought....is does the pipe itself need to be moved more?? whats the deal???????
Old 1/7/06, 12:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@January 7, 2006, 12:29 PM
im installing as we speak and im having a problem connecting my top 02 sensor.....its like not long enought....is does the pipe itself need to be moved more?? whats the deal???????
All of my O2 leads where long enough. Make sure they are not twisted or wrapped around something. Remember to twist them before you screw them in, so as it screws in, the lead wires becom untwisted, so no strain on the wires when driving around. But they should reach. My driver side one is a little tight, but should be fine.
Old 1/7/06, 05:36 PM
RPM
GT Member

Just took my Pypes O/R H pipe off! At first I thought the sound was great but I quickly grew tired of the sound. Put the stock cats back on today.

I think that the mufflers, designed for a catted system, don't do enough to filter out the higher pitched sounds. The catless pipe would sound good no doubdt, with mufflers designed for no cats. Power-wise I can't tell that I lost that much up on top and when I installed mine I felt it lost a little down low.
Old 1/8/06, 12:18 AM
FR500 Member

hey hatchman....the problem was long solved. anyways ANYONE WHO HAS THE PROBLEM I DID PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok soo we discovered the place above the transmission where the actual 02 sensor cable connects to, theres a bracket holding it in that had some slack in it, we disconnected the actually sensor connector from the bracket and connected the 02 sensor back and bam, it went back on the o/r pipe no problem

my testimonial about the x-pipe

i could not believe how loud it really was. my friend has an 02 GT with magnapacks glasspacks and when i started it and revved, the look on his face was great, a really suprised smile and laugh. my moms reaction was OH MY GOD when i drove away after showing her. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! revved at some passing group of kids and the girls screamed. i did not expect it to be that loud. i have the o/r x with flowmasters....this is personally a great setup. im debating to weld where the clamps r because of the raspy sound.....well overall, i feel a difference when i drop into gears the car responds better and the computer had no problem adjusting...VERY PLEASED!!
Old 1/8/06, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@January 8, 2006, 1:21 AM
hey hatchman....the problem was long solved.
I figured after an hour, you'd already found some slack in the wire somewhere.

Glad you like the pipe and it's giving you some

Quick Reply: Pypes Off Road H-Pipe from Brenspeed