GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes Off Road H-Pipe from Brenspeed

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/05, 04:03 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say this job has a 3 beer difficulty

Make sure you fit everything together to check for defects or shipping damages. You will receive your H-Pipe in 2 pieces (driver side and passenger side). The "H" is the connection point. You will receive a clamp for the "H" and the pipes also have the make-shift flanges for the headers.

Tools Needed:

3/4" Drive Ratchet and extensions (a swivel extension will defiantly come in handy)
1/2" Drive Ratchet and extensions
15mm standard and deep sockets
7/8" open wrench
Floor Jack and Jack Stands or Lift

Installation:

I used a floor jack and jack stands from the front of the car. Obviously a lift would make it easier, but most people, including myself don't have access to one.

First you'll want to remove the o2 sensors from the factory pipe using your 7/8" open wrench. There are 2 on the passenger side and 1 on the driver side. Do Not over twist these wires. I secured mine in between the undercarriage and the metal "knuckle shredder". You'll see what I'm talking about.

Next is taking off the nuts up at the headers. There are 2 per side. This is where the swivel extension and 15mm deep socket come into play. You may want to use some WD-40 or some kind of lubricant to make it easier to break these nuts loose.

Then you'll want to slide down and take the 2 nuts off of each clamp holding the H-Pipe and the "over-axle" pipe together. You can use the 15mm standard socket for these. Slide the clamps down towards the rear end and your almost there.

Next you have to get the hangers out of the rubber brackets. Just pull those suckers out. It shouldn't take much effort, they just slide out. Be careful to not hit one of your o2 sensors while pulling the pipe out.

(Here is your chance to hear it with open headers!!!)

Then you grab the 2 pieces of your O/R Pipe and fit them together to the same size as stock. Which is pretty much all the way together. You should definately notice how much lighter they are than the stock pipe!!!

(Here is your chance to play the H-Pipe Trumpet to try to mimic the sound you're hoping for)

Now stop screwing around and get under the car with the O/R pipe!

Start off by tightening the clamp between the "H" with the 15mm standard socket on the 1/2" drive ratchet. Make sure that baby is tight!

Next you want to slide the hangers back through the rubber brackets. Again, be careful to not beak the o2 sensors! While sliding the hangers through the brackets, feed the pipes into the "over-axle" pipe. Slide the clamps back over the connection point and lightly tighten the nuts.

Now you'll need to slide the flanges from the front up towards and over the studs on the headers. Grab that trusty 15mm deep socket and your extension for these nuts. Tighten them down fairly secure. Make sure to tighten them down evenly.

Next you'll have to put the o2 sensors back in. You will want to twist them counter-clockwise enough so that when you tighten them down, the wires are not twisted. You'll see what I mean. Make sure they are nice and snug in there.

Finally you just want to tighten everything down and check for any alignment issues.

Now you are ready to fire her up for the first time!!!

Initial Start Up

Sorry about not throwing any revs. It was like 12:30 at my buddies house!
Old 12/17/05, 04:13 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Final Impressions:

Unfortunately, I did have a few hiccups.

1. The day after the install, I noticed my mufflers where totally out of whack! The driver side muffler was soooo loose on the "over-axle" pipe. I must have wrestled the over axle pipe a bit too much while under there! I had to get back under and retighten them with and impact ratchet! Now they are perfect! - Lesson being, don't wrestle around too much!

2. I started hearing a crazy rattle, and it was bugging the heck out of me. After the first install, then going back the next day to re tighten everything, I thought all problems would be solved. Nope! But the good news was that all that rattle was coming from a leak in the "H". I took off that wimpy clamp that comes with it and I welded it! Now everything is perfect! - Lesson being, you may have to weld the middle section of the "H" or at least find a better clamp.

But other than that...I love them! Everything is perfect now, they sound great and now I definitely turn heads! This is not outrageously loud, but it will definitely wake up the neighbors and than some!
Old 12/17/05, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice write up man

I got my H pipe sittin at home, and am looking forward to installing it. Thanks for the pointers as I am sure they will save me some time & headache.
Old 12/17/05, 04:52 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by nicksolheim@December 17, 2005, 4:48 PM
Nice write up man

I got my H pipe sittin at home, and am looking forward to installing it. Thanks for the pointers as I am sure they will save me some time & headache.

Definately use a swivel extension for the header nuts! Especially the passanger side top one! You'll see! It's a breeze on the O/R Pipe, but the cats get in the way on the stocker!
Old 12/17/05, 05:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Excellent write-up Nick! I installed my h-pipe this morning and now I'm having just as much fun as you! Also noticing a drop in MPG. No problems so far. No leaks or rattles, even with the supplied U-clamp for the 'H' section. Here's a picture of my new h-pipe. I made a short clip (.avi) to share what it sounds like with a Magnaflow catback, but I have no where to host it.
Old 12/17/05, 07:37 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After putting my tri-ax in, I know what you mean about the knuckle shredder. My hands took a week to heal
Old 12/18/05, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did the rattle you described sound really raspy? Installed mine yesterday and I think that I have the same problem you had. Kind of a tinny/fluttering sound in the midrange.
Old 12/18/05, 12:42 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by 05-1947@December 18, 2005, 9:08 AM
Did the rattle you described sound really raspy? Installed mine yesterday and I think that I have the same problem you had. Kind of a tinny/fluttering sound in the midrange.

Sure did! Check the clamp by the "H". I welded mine after 3 days and it sounds great now!
Old 12/18/05, 12:43 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by SoFL05GT@December 17, 2005, 5:35 PM
Excellent write-up Nick! I installed my h-pipe this morning and now I'm having just as much fun as you! Also noticing a drop in MPG. No problems so far. No leaks or rattles, even with the supplied U-clamp for the 'H' section. Here's a picture of my new h-pipe. I made a short clip (.avi) to share what it sounds like with a Magnaflow catback, but I have no where to host it.
I'm glad you got yours on too! I can't wait to hear it with the Magnaflows!
Old 12/18/05, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

So are you guys running the same tunes as before you put the pipe on? Or do you have a tune just for this pipe?
Old 12/18/05, 04:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@December 18, 2005, 2:22 PM
So are you guys running the same tunes as before you put the pipe on? Or do you have a tune just for this pipe?
Good question, I was thinking the same.

Although I would imagine just turning off the 02 sensors would prevent any CEL lights, don't quote me on this as for my H pipe is yet to be installed and I don't have any first hand experience yet.

Guys???????????????
Old 12/18/05, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Recently installed jltII/xcal2 brenspeed tune and Brent turned off my rear 02's for me. I don't think anything else is needed.
Old 12/18/05, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I also listened to my wife drive away in my car today and it sounded good except with the Roush mufflers I have a odd sound from 2-3k rpms. Not referencing the clamp sound but rather an odd note.
Old 12/18/05, 06:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by emperorjordan@December 18, 2005, 3:22 PM
I'm running the same tune as before the install. I have C&L CAI and I have an XCAL 93 Octane performance tune from BBR that has the 02 sensors turned off.
Old 12/18/05, 07:35 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by emperorjordan@December 18, 2005, 1:22 PM
I am running the same tune! I have not had any CELs at this point. I've got about 300 miles on them!
Old 12/19/05, 07:24 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Here are 2 soundclips that go together...

1. 05 FSTBK's 2005 Mustang GT w/ Flowmaster American Thunder Axle Backs gives a couple of revs...then you hear my car start and chirp someone's alarm

2. My Flaster American Thunder Axle Backs w/ Pypes Off Road H-Pipe gives one teaser rev!!!

Well I can't get the file extension avi. to load :bang:

Here is a link, let me know if it doesn't allow you to view them...

http://www.badmustangsclub.com/forum/showp...53&postcount=18
Old 12/21/05, 07:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just installed my H pipe this evening. Thanks to S197 GT's write up, it went pretty much without a hitch.

First of all, don't even think about doing this without a deep well 15MM socket and some extensions, it is an excercise in futility. The swivel is a nice tool to have as well.

Impressions:

On start up: Nice. Little louder, littler raspier, not as deep as before.

Idle: Sounds the same, pretty much no difference, maybe a tad louder, no change in pitch.

Normal driving: Definitely tell they are there on acceleration. MUCH louder during acceleration, but once you hit your speed, it's only about 20-30% louder than normal.

Highway driving: 60-80mph cruise is just a little louder than before, maybe 10% louder. Once you hit the gas at all, it gets much louder. Once you get over 85mph, the wind noise actually overpowers the exhaust, and you can barely hear it at cruise.

WOT runs: MUCH LOUDER! I'd say the car is easily 3 times louder when you nail the gas. The whole car vibrates, the sound coming out of the trunk sounds like a dragster on crack. A lot more sound coming from under the car as well, can't even hear the cold air intake, or sounds coming from the engine bay, or anything else, it's just a loud WAIL!!! A little raspier and much hollower than before.

Seat of the pants dyno: I may be crazy, but if feels like I might have lost a little bit on the bottom end. I'll take the G-tech out tomorrow, or maybe later on tonight, but it doesn't seem to pull has hard as it did before. Which is strange, I would figure the louder exhaust would make you feel like it was hauling hiney. I wouldn't mind getting it back on the Walker's dyno for another run, just to see.

Overall, I'm still pretty happy with it. New pipe is MUCH lighter than stock one. No SES lights yet. I'm going to put down some Dynomat in the truck tomorrow, see if that helps a little bit since it's a tad too loud for me. Even if I left it like it is, I can live with it, as long as the dyno/Gtec/track times tell me I didn't loose anything.
Old 12/21/05, 11:07 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I also felt like I lost a little low end torque! But it sure does scream above 3 grand!
Old 12/22/05, 05:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I felt that also when I put on my o/r Prochamber. I think we were just expecting a big gain, and the seat of the pants meter is fooled a bit.
Old 12/22/05, 07:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm going to reset my battery, just to see if that makes a difference. Maybe the computer needs to learn it has lower back pressure.

Quick Reply: Pypes Off Road H-Pipe from Brenspeed