GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes Muffler delete vs. SLP Loudmouths

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/08, 07:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pypes Muffler delete vs. SLP Loudmouths

What is the difference between Pypes muffler delete and SLP Loudmouths beside the price? Isn't the SLP a straight through pipe as well?
Old 4/28/08, 07:57 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are the same basically, I would recommend using some kind of mid muffler/resonator setup though. If you want to know what it sounds like, take your mufflers off and drive around the block, it sounds exactly the same

the pypes mid muffler kit seems nice but some people have complained about fitment. You can't beat it for 299.

I have the SLPs and welding 12" stainless resonators in my mid muffler pipe. I wish now I had gotten 18s
Old 4/28/08, 08:05 PM
V6 Member

Thanks, why are you using a resonator for the SLP's. Is it too loud?
Old 4/29/08, 12:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with the pypes mid muffler, I had the slp's and was not completely satisfied with them. You defenintely want some sort of muffler to refine the sound.
Old 4/29/08, 08:03 AM
Cobra Member

Sorry a bit OT but I had considered having some resonators put in, just to be a bit more polite to my sleeping neighbors. Hows the LM's sound with them?

On topic, really the only diff is the price as far as sound goes. But the SLP LM's have really beautiful tips, they are very long and double walled, not rolled. They appear thick and beefy. You can adjust just the tips to be more discreet or have them sticking out like afterburners if you want. I really like how they look on the car and to be honest thats why I haven't gone with a quieter muffler, because the rolled tips just don't look nearly as nice. They sound freaking awesome IMO and aren't so loud once the car is warmed up. It's the cold starts at 3am that really make me feel guilty hehe. They are very loud on start up.

I've had my SLP's since probably jan or feb of 2005 and have been very pleased with them, but they were like $224.00 back then. I have also periodically inspected them because some people have had them rust and the hangers come off. Mine are as good as new still.
Old 4/29/08, 09:56 AM
V6 Member

nynvolt

Thanks for the information. That cleared up a lot for me and makes me want to go out and get them. I am going to look at them a little harder. The thing I like about the Pypes is that they fill the bumper better since they are 4" diameter but I will consider looking at the SLP's now since it seems like it is a choice of many especially due to the tips.
Old 4/29/08, 10:13 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
You defenintely want some sort of muffler to refine the sound.
yeah it's just way too loud and doesn't sound that good. Sounds like an old truck with open headers. The resonators just smoothens it out
Old 4/29/08, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nynvolt
Sorry a bit OT but I had considered having some resonators put in, just to be a bit more polite to my sleeping neighbors. Hows the LM's sound with them?

On topic, really the only diff is the price as far as sound goes. But the SLP LM's have really beautiful tips, they are very long and double walled, not rolled. They appear thick and beefy. You can adjust just the tips to be more discreet or have them sticking out like afterburners if you want. I really like how they look on the car and to be honest thats why I haven't gone with a quieter muffler, because the rolled tips just don't look nearly as nice. They sound freaking awesome IMO and aren't so loud once the car is warmed up. It's the cold starts at 3am that really make me feel guilty hehe. They are very loud on start up.

I've had my SLP's since probably jan or feb of 2005 and have been very pleased with them, but they were like $224.00 back then. I have also periodically inspected them because some people have had them rust and the hangers come off. Mine are as good as new still.
LOL @ the 3am cold starts. I live in a semi-crowded apartment complex and feel like a jerk every time I go somewhere after 11PM on a weekday. Nothing like firing up your SLP LM's about 15 ft. from someone's bedroom window! LMAO