GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulling the front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/07, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pulling the front wheels

After watching "Pinks" the other night, saw a few cars pulling their front wheels off the ground.

How much HP does it take to do that?

I know things like the tires, outside temp, and other factors play into it, but in a ball park how much Horse power?
Old 2/19/07, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justin Burcham (JPC Racing) did a spot in MM&FF where he took a Stock 5-spd GT and started modifying it at the track. He had a C&L intake and DiabloSport tune, Hurst Shifter, 1 piece drive shaft, sway bar delete setup, rear slicks and front Bogarts on 15" rims.

That was it!

He also offers am 11 second N/A kit:
  • Diablosport Handheld Tuner w/ a Custom Tune
  • C & L Cold Air Intake Kit w/ Oversized Mass-Air Meter
  • Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
  • Motive Gear 4.30 Ring & Pinion Set
  • Motive Gear Ring & Pinion COMPLETE Install Kit
  • Metco Lower Control Arms
  • Metco Upper Control Arm
  • Metco ICM Brackets
  • Eibach 4pc. Lowering Spring Kit
  • Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
  • Cyn-R-G Aluminum Segmented Flywheel
  • Bogart Aluminum 4 pc. Racing Wheel Set
  • Bassani "Off-Road" Aluminized X-Pipe
  • Bassani Aluminized Cat-Back System
  • Mickey Thompson 26 x 11.5 ET Street Slicks
Old 2/19/07, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
After watching "Pinks" the other night, saw a few cars pulling their front wheels off the ground.

How much HP does it take to do that?

I know things like the tires, outside temp, and other factors play into it, but in a ball park how much Horse power?
I don't think HP has as much to do with it as does suspension setup.
Old 2/19/07, 09:08 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I don't think HP has as much to do with it as does suspension setup.
+1

A decent amount of power is needed, but a 500HP car with a solid suspension that can plant that power at the rear wheels will pull up more than a stock suspension 1000HP car.

CR
Old 2/19/07, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, it's more the torque that does it, than hp.
Old 2/19/07, 10:14 PM
GT Member

It requires you to dead hook on the launch and be able to tranfer the weight well..

A drag suspension with lightweight rims and slicks with the basic boltons should get you there..
Old 2/20/07, 05:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Actually, it's more the torque that does it, than hp.
Touche. Torque is what gets the car moving.
Old 2/20/07, 08:20 AM
GT Member

Reducing front weight would help alot, especially in this car. Ditch your swaybar, relocate battery to the back, small tires up front. You aren't going pull tire like a big dog, but I'm sure you can get it off the ground a little bit.
Old 2/20/07, 12:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

1000HP won't pull the front wheels off the ground without the right suspension setup. I used to drag race a 75 Mustang with a 600cid methanol fueled engine. It made around 850-900hp and turned 8.5's in the quarter mile. It would pull the front wheels about 6 inches most of the time.
HOWEVER, it would also pull the wheels 2 feet up if you changed the rear suspension settings. Or, not pull them at all and just go straight. It's all about the setup. Very complicated, and too much to explain here now. Basically, it comes down to having a very stiff suspension with the right setup.
Old 2/20/07, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I also think it would be VERY difficult to do in a manual tranny car. If you bang the clutch out fast enough to pop the tires up, you'll either spin like a ****, or kill it. An auto will slip and slide, keeping the engine in it's power band while still delivering tons of torque to the wheels.
Old 2/20/07, 12:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I also think it would be VERY difficult to do in a manual tranny car. If you bang the clutch out fast enough to pop the tires up, you'll either spin like a ****, or kill it. An auto will slip and slide, keeping the engine in it's power band while still delivering tons of torque to the wheels.

That would be SOOOO wrong.. Long as you have real slicks on this car a manual will pop the tires. The auto probably won't unless you get a high stall and even then you have to foot brake as there are no trans brakes for this tranny yet
Old 2/20/07, 12:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, the question was not specifically geared towards the 05+ Mustangs. It was simply "how much hp does it take."
True, a manual could pop the tires with slicks and a stiff suspension. The problem is if you hook up well enough to pop the tires, your rpm's will drop like a rock and bog down the engine. If you're just looking to pop the tires and that's it, cool. If you are trying to race, not cool.
Absolute BEST way is an auto tranny with a trans brake. I know these stock tranny's don't have them yet...but aftermarket ones do.
Old 2/20/07, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by vsop
That would be SOOOO wrong.. Long as you have real slicks on this car a manual will pop the tires. The auto probably won't unless you get a high stall and even then you have to foot brake as there are no trans brakes for this tranny yet
I agree totally. Even though I have a new TC, it's messed up and my stall is not right. I've never seen daylight under my tires, but it's pretty close. And I would love to have a transbrake.

Originally Posted by theedge67
Well, the question was not specifically geared towards the 05+ Mustangs. It was simply "how much hp does it take."
True, a manual could pop the tires with slicks and a stiff suspension. The problem is if you hook up well enough to pop the tires, your rpm's will drop like a rock and bog down the engine. If you're just looking to pop the tires and that's it, cool. If you are trying to race, not cool.
Absolute BEST way is an auto tranny with a trans brake. I know these stock tranny's don't have them yet...but aftermarket ones do.
+1