GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Procharger or Saleen supercharger on 06 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/11, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5pointoh
OK I am a little confused here According to the Brenspeed website the V3 Vortech kit you are referring to adds 150 RWHP and the HO Vortech kit from Brenspeed adds over 190 RWHP.

http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html

The V2 HO kit which is on sale at AM only adds 162HP at the CRANK.

So the lower priced kit at Brenspeed adds more HP than the higher priced kit at AM??

I am new to all this.....can someone please clarify for me. Thanks!
The non-cooled V3 8psi kit is the kit I have from Brenspeed. When I had the 8psi pulley I was running 12 flat at 115 mph with a 1.8 60ft. I now have added the pulley that comes with the HO kit (I see 12psi at 6500 rpm without an intercooler/aftercooler) and Methanol injection (to act as the intercooler/aftercooler). That upgrade cost me $400, compared to $1400-1700 for an A/A or aftercooler and I see 105*F intake temps in 95*F weather and 80*F IAT in winter at the end of a 1/4 mile run. I have seen several people with the 8psi and methanol making 460+whp, it is all about supporting mods and tuning tuning tuning. I went with a centri for a couple of reasons, one my wife drives it and stock DD was number one, second was cost.

For street, stop light to stop light fun you will be happier with the feel of a PD blower, but as far as performance......I would say a centri with 10-12 psi and a twinscrew at 10-12 psi would come down to a drivers race down the 1/4 mile. I also feel the building of boost on a centri is not as harsh on the internals of the engine, IMO. You should look at turbos too, they make the most power per lbs of boost, and a properly sized turbo will have almost 0 lag.
Old 1/30/11, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

As far a gearing, I love my stock 3.55's. I find that I and not having to shift as often as many people, it takes longer to go through the gears but I stay between 5000-6500 rpm where most of my power is. I end up walking cars on the topend alot. I cut 1.8's 60ft with room for improvement on my driving, and see 27+mpg on the hwy. Stop light to stop light lower gears would be more fun, but then again what do you want the car to do for you..
Old 1/30/11, 09:01 PM
V6 Member

There's really no better kit for low end grunt, long term durability and efficiency than the 2.3 Whipple on a stock bottom end 3v. For street applications, stock gears work best with no more than 3.73s. To hook up the lowend torque, it's best to install lower relocation brackets, lower arms and adjustable upper arm.
We've installed quite a few since the kit came out. We have not had one problem with any of them and we even just re-installed one with over 100K on it on a guy's 07 GT vert that he swapped his 03 Cobra for. He knew the car that the blower came from and paid $2500 for the entire kit.
With the same kit transferred over to the vert, it was custom tuned on the dyno and with the auto, it made 488RWHP. That's only 14RWHP less than the stick on the other car!LOL!

Feel free to PM me if you have question on the pros and cons on the various superchargers. Please give me your goals and usage of your car........the area you live is helpful also.

Last edited by Mach1Marauder; 1/30/11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 1/31/11, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07S197
Sure if you don't like your rear tires...

Most with a positive displacement type s/c run 3.73's, other wise you just destroy the tires in anything under 3rd gear. If you go with a centri then the 4.10's make up for some of the loss down low.

I have plans for a s/c in the future and want a Whipple but I doubt I will ever be able to afford one. So, when I did my gear install I had 4.10's installed knowing that I will be going with a H.O. Procharger. This will help make up for the low end loss vs. the positive displacement units.
Have you tried calling Tousley Ford....they are suppose to have the best pricing on FRPP parts. That Whipple might become a little more affordable

Does anyone on here have 410's and a twin screw to give some personal feedback? I guess you probably do not have to hit the gas too hard to shred the rear tires with this combo?
Old 1/31/11, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
To hook up the lowend torque, it's best to install lower relocation brackets, lower arms and adjustable upper arm
I guess this will give the back end a little more traction? What brands would one consider looking at?

I think I will eventually get that Saleen charger with the supershaker. It sounds more like what I am looking for my application. Now, I am just a little worried about combining 410s with it.....though I have not installed those them yet....guess I could sell them.

Luckily I didnt install my CDC shaker yet either.....so I can still sell it as well. Yeah I got my own little warehouse of parts right now
Old 1/31/11, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

I guess this will give the back end a little more traction? What brands would one consider looking at?

I think I will eventually get that Saleen charger with the supershaker. It sounds more like what I am looking for my application. Now, I am just a little worried about combining 410s with it.....though I have not installed those them yet....guess I could sell them.

Luckily I didnt install my CDC shaker yet either.....so I can still sell it as well. Yeah I got my own little warehouse of parts right now
Yep.........BMR works really well!

Stick with your stock gears if you get the twinscrew.
Old 1/31/11, 10:43 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried calling Tousley Ford....they are suppose to have the best pricing on FRPP parts. That Whipple might become a little more affordable

Does anyone on here have 410's and a twin screw to give some personal feedback? I guess you probably do not have to hit the gas too hard to shred the rear tires with this combo?

Talk with Gary (aka 2k7gtcs), I'm prety sure he is running 4.10's with his Saleen. I think he is putting down close to 480RWHP.
Old 1/31/11, 11:44 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 07S197
Talk with Gary (aka 2k7gtcs), I'm prety sure he is running 4.10's with his Saleen. I think he is putting down close to 480RWHP.
You really have to make sure you have the rear suspension set up well and STICKY tires if you want to run a twinscrew or all you will do is spin spin
Old 1/31/11, 12:23 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would take a centri over a twinscrew because I like the way the power of the centri comes on. Too much traction problems with a twinscrew.
Old 1/31/11, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I would take a centri over a twinscrew because I like the way the power of the centri comes on. Too much traction problems with a twinscrew.
Are you running any kind of SC? If so, what is your set up?

Based on what others experiences, it sounds like if you have 355's or 373's, the TS is not too bad. I guess if you go 410's you gotta be really careful not giving it too much gas
Old 1/31/11, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

That is with any FI, on the street my drag radials try to grab from a roll...untill 4500rpm they break loose.

upper and lower control arms are a must with any FI, I use J&M. Also plan a clutch if you have a 5 speed.

Why is nobody looking at turbos???
Old 2/1/11, 10:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
That is with any FI, on the street my drag radials try to grab from a roll...untill 4500rpm they break loose.

upper and lower control arms are a must with any FI, I use J&M. Also plan a clutch if you have a 5 speed.

Why is nobody looking at turbos???
Your suspension isn't set up correctly and/or your tires are poop.

The topic isn't about turbos.
Old 2/1/11, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
Your suspension isn't set up correctly and/or your tires are poop.

The topic isn't about turbos.
It is prob the tires and weather combo, Nitto 555DR in 50*F. At the track, where it really counts, I dont have an issue.

and the turbos... the ultimate goal is power and they make awsome power...........Just making sure we cover all the options, so one can pick the right one for them.
Old 2/1/11, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

From all the helpful feedback you guys have all given.....I think I will eventually get one of those Saleen Super Shakers chargers.

I like the down low power of the twin screw and the fact I can still have a shaker hood scoop on my car at the same time. With a nice exhaust and the SC whine coming from the shaker....it would sound very badass!

So far the best price I can find is $6000 at JDM engineering. I think they had it on sale about 14 months ago for about $5000....hopefully something like that will come up again. Does anyone else know where a sale may be happening?

I still have too many other mods to put on still, so I can wait......JBA headers, 410 gears, Hawks brake pads, Cervinis "GT 500" style chin spoiler, Cervinis side scoops etc. All sitting in my basement

Yes, modding is addicting
Old 2/2/11, 03:49 AM
Bullitt Member

From all the helpful feedback you guys have all given.....I think I will eventually get one of those Saleen Super Shakers chargers.

I like the down low power of the twin screw and the fact I can still have a shaker hood scoop on my car at the same time. With a nice exhaust and the SC whine coming from the shaker....it would sound very badass!

So far the best price I can find is $6000 at JDM engineering. I think they had it on sale about 14 months ago for about $5000....hopefully something like that will come up again. Does anyone else know where a sale may be happening?

I still have too many other mods to put on still, so I can wait......JBA headers, 410 gears, Hawks brake pads, Cervinis "GT 500" style chin spoiler, Cervinis side scoops etc. All sitting in my basement

Yes, modding is addicting
If you've decided on a ts blower I would sell those 4:10's if I was you. You're not going to like sitting there spinning all the way through 1st and 2nd gear. Honestly 3:73's would be a lot more practical for your driving style.
Old 2/2/11, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

We seem to be getting a little off subject here. I believe I'm going with a Procharger because I don't need the power at the throttle like a twin screw gives you. I just need something to get me to go fast when needed. Maybe I'm wanting to go Paxton Novi 2200 instead.
Old 2/2/11, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I run a Saleen Super Shaker and I have 3:73. I was like you and had a CDC shaker hood. I wanted to keep that look, so I went with the Saleen SS from JDM. I have had that setup now for about 2+ years, and zero problems.

Car looks good with it, and you make good power. I would only suggest 4:10's with a centri style blower. With TS, you will be spinning hard as they are design to make the TrQ right out of the gate.
Old 2/2/11, 11:19 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you running any kind of SC? If so, what is your set up?

Based on what others experiences, it sounds like if you have 355's or 373's, the TS is not too bad. I guess if you go 410's you gotta be really careful not giving it too much gas

I had a paxton 2200 at 430rwhp 390/tq . I have eibach lowering springs, steeda shocks/struts, bmr LCA's, and nitto nt555s. First gear was pretty usless most of the time and shifting into second would turn me sideways sometimes unless I shifted at a lower rpm.. It was a blast and maybe with more practice I could have almost perfected the first to second shift but once that boost kicked in it was so dam touchy!

Edit-and I have 3:55 and would definently not want 4:10's with any blower unless I was running a serious suspension setup..

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 2/2/11 at 11:22 AM.
Old 2/2/11, 06:38 PM
V6 Member

I had a paxton 2200 at 430rwhp 390/tq . I have eibach lowering springs, steeda shocks/struts, bmr LCA's, and nitto nt555s. First gear was pretty usless most of the time and shifting into second would turn me sideways sometimes unless I shifted at a lower rpm.. It was a blast and maybe with more practice I could have almost perfected the first to second shift but once that boost kicked in it was so dam touchy!

Edit-and I have 3:55 and would definently not want 4:10's with any blower unless I was running a serious suspension setup..
Suspension mods should always be the first performance mods done to a Mustang of today. What's the use of more power if it won't hook up all the power you have when stock?
Well.........your spinning is a result of not having your suspension get up properly. With lowering springs installed and NO ADJUSTABLE UPPER CONTROL ARM, you changed the pinion angle. Naturally you're NOT going to hook! That's pretty plain and simple. This platform works VERY well!

As with ANY car, It does take skill to drive the car PROPERLY. The "Driver Mod" is one of the best mods to get! A lady drove from San Diego to Phoenix to get drag racing lessons from me. She had an 08 BULLIT and wanted to learn how to get the most from the car without just plain beating on the car. The car was 100% bone stock an we broken in. I took four test hits to get the feeling for the launch and was very surprised in how well the car responded. Not beating on the car, I easily obtained 1.85 60ft times. By the end of her lessons that day, she was able to get very consistent 1.94 60ft times out of her stock car and knocked off over 1.4 sec. off her best time.
I have a car currently on the dyno that makes 650 on 91 pump fuel. It's a VERY unassuming car from the out side. It's slightly lowered and has wheel studs in the back and no other external visual clues. I'll put thing up against most cars with 200 more RWHP from a dig and clean the streets with it! Why??? Because time was taken to set up the suspension properly and this car just plain hooks on DRs and eats up the road very quickly!
Old 2/3/11, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
If you've decided on a ts blower I would sell those 4:10's if I was you. You're not going to like sitting there spinning all the way through 1st and 2nd gear. Honestly 3:73's would be a lot more practical for your driving style.
I will look into this a bit more.....definitely dont want to be spinning tires all the time. Would there be much difference between 355 and 373 with a TS?

I am really easy on my car and it is driven only during the summer when it is nice.....mostly for cruising around.

Quick Reply: Procharger or Saleen supercharger on 06 GT?