GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Procharger or Saleen supercharger on 06 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/11, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procharger or Saleen supercharger on 06 GT?

Was wonder which on the these two are the better supercharger to buy, and how much is installation?
Old 1/24/11, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Corstang427
Was wonder which on the these two are the better supercharger to buy, and how much is installation?
I've heard alot of good things about Procharger, but have no first hand information on them. I have the Saleen series VI and can't say enough good things about it.

For install pricing I'd suggest you contact Brenspeed

http://www.brenspeed.com/10-1607-b15058-.html
Old 1/25/11, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

How much power are you looking to make. The saleen hits a wall while other s/c's can be boosted up to 20+ lbs.
Old 1/25/11, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two completely different superchargers.

Procharger is centrifugal which will give you a more gradual power band.

Saleen is twin-screw which will be a much steeper power band.

If you're building a track monster and forging the engine etc. etc. etc. then procharger might be a better choice.

If you're looking to just have some fun around town between red lights then the Saleen will be a better choice.

The saleen will not hit any wall your stock engine has... you'll blow the engine before that happens. If you're forging then again it's a totally different ballgame.
Old 1/26/11, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Look at the Roush M-90. Tried and true, and on sale. I love the one I bought and installed.
ROUSH M90 2005-2010 Mustang Superchargers

These Mustang superchargers bring the total horsepower of your Mustang GT up to 435 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. This line of ROUSHcharger® includes a proprietary ROUSH® calibration and intake enhancements.

Chrome Powder Coat Finish
  • Chrome 2005-2006 Mustang Supercharger*
    Part #421148GY
    Price: $3899 (previously $5,355)
Old 1/26/11, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

There is no right answer for which blower is best. Where do you want to 'feel' the power? With the right setup any blower will rock and make tons of power. And cost is always an issue too. I havn't had the pleasure to ride in a PD blown car, but my Vortech V3 is smooth and just doesn't feel fast..... Intill I go to the track or race someone and I realize how much I love it. It is very linear and the power just builds and builds and 130 comes before you even know it. I have riden in a turbo miata (400whp) and a turbo 408 LSX vette (1000 whp) and the way the turbo hits is almost like nitrous, but pulls harder and never seems to let up.

We just need to know more info about what you want out of the blower, quality wise both are top notch. As is Vortech, Whipple, Kenne Bell, and Paxton. And installation is not that hard, it can be done in your garage in a day or two.

Last edited by Redrocket06; 1/26/11 at 07:35 PM.
Old 1/27/11, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
There is no right answer for which blower is best. Where do you want to 'feel' the power? With the right setup any blower will rock and make tons of power. And cost is always an issue too. I havn't had the pleasure to ride in a PD blown car, but my Vortech V3 is smooth and just doesn't feel fast..... Intill I go to the track or race someone and I realize how much I love it. It is very linear and the power just builds and builds and 130 comes before you even know it. I have riden in a turbo miata (400whp) and a turbo 408 LSX vette (1000 whp) and the way the turbo hits is almost like nitrous, but pulls harder and never seems to let up.

We just need to know more info about what you want out of the blower, quality wise both are top notch. As is Vortech, Whipple, Kenne Bell, and Paxton. And installation is not that hard, it can be done in your garage in a day or two.
So it sounds like with the Vortech or centri type of chargers one doesnt really feel too much at the lower rpms (i.e. 3000 and lower)? I read in one thread that it feels like stock until you hit 3000 RPM....what is your opinion?

I am going to be installing a CDC shaker....so centri is my only option......otherwise I would go twin screw with the Whipple as everyone seems to love the instantaneous power right off the line.

Right now AM has a clearance on the polished V2 HO Vortech for about $3767! It seems like **** good price to me......has anyone seen a price like this before? I was not planning on buying until next year, but am afraid that I might not see that price again
Old 1/27/11, 09:54 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5pointoh
I am going to be installing a CDC shaker....so centri is my only option......otherwise I would go twin screw with the Whipple as everyone seems to love the instantaneous power right off the line.

http://www.brenspeed.com/supershaker.html
Old 1/27/11, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

"I am going to be installing a CDC shaker....so centri is my only option......"

I understand that, I had a shaker and looked at that idea too. I sold shaker and hood/trade (in my car color, lucked out). I wanted that twin screw whine. But, my car never looked better than with that shaker.
BTW my last Stang was 06 LL vert. Beautiful color!
Attached Thumbnails Procharger or Saleen supercharger on 06 GT?-car-wall.jpg  
Old 1/27/11, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07S197
Wow! That looks nice! However, I have purchased my CDC shaker already.....and the price on the Vortech from AM I dont think you can really argue about it, because it is smoking deal.

I am planning on 410 gears, so I am wondering any loss on low end power from a Vortech vs a twin screw wont be too significant??
Old 1/27/11, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
"I am going to be installing a CDC shaker....so centri is my only option......"

I understand that, I had a shaker and looked at that idea too. I sold shaker and hood/trade (in my car color, lucked out). I wanted that twin screw whine. But, my car never looked better than with that shaker.
BTW my last Stang was 06 LL vert. Beautiful color!
You have a Roush charger now?
Old 1/28/11, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

You have a Roush charger now?

Yes, Roush has a super sale on them too $3899.
You need to check in with Brian-five-oh on this board. He has the set-up you're looking at doing, minus the shaker. He told me he has a tune were he starts out at 6 psi on take-off and gains up to 11 psi at end of 1/4 mile.
It's all good!
Old 1/29/11, 01:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
Yes, Roush has a super sale on them too $3899.
You need to check in with Brian-five-oh on this board. He has the set-up you're looking at doing, minus the shaker. He told me he has a tune were he starts out at 6 psi on take-off and gains up to 11 psi at end of 1/4 mile.
It's all good!
I am leaning towards the HO V2 Vortech because the price right now on it is a smoking deal.

It sounds like the twin screws in general can put out a lot more power continuously......is there any adv of the centri type of chargers (i.e. Vortech) over the twin screw type (i.e. Whipple)?
Old 1/29/11, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

If you go Vortech get the V3 not the V2. The V3 has a redesigned impeller that produces a better curve, more tq and more power at the same boost. Brenspeed has an 8 psi V3 kit for $3800 and that is what I run except I have a smaller pulley and methanol for cooling. Under 3000 rpm my car feels stronger than stock, but it is about like having an intake and tune only, opening it up in first or second is usless on the street I have no traction. And as far as competing with a twin screw or roots... I have pulled 2 lengths on a new GT500 from a 60 roll, I kept breaking the tires loose at 60 so I had to roll on the gas instead of just hitting it. The V3 also will support 725 hp, so there is loads of room to build on. I don't think the little M90 will come close to that. If you go PD blower go with a twin screw not roots, they are more efficient on the topend. Whipple/FRPP and Kenne Bell are top notch and can produce stock block destroying power with just a pulley change too.
Old 1/30/11, 03:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
If you go Vortech get the V3 not the V2. The V3 has a redesigned impeller that produces a better curve, more tq and more power at the same boost. Brenspeed has an 8 psi V3 kit for $3800 and that is what I run except I have a smaller pulley and methanol for cooling. Under 3000 rpm my car feels stronger than stock, but it is about like having an intake and tune only, opening it up in first or second is usless on the street I have no traction. And as far as competing with a twin screw or roots... I have pulled 2 lengths on a new GT500 from a 60 roll, I kept breaking the tires loose at 60 so I had to roll on the gas instead of just hitting it. The V3 also will support 725 hp, so there is loads of room to build on. I don't think the little M90 will come close to that. If you go PD blower go with a twin screw not roots, they are more efficient on the topend. Whipple/FRPP and Kenne Bell are top notch and can produce stock block destroying power with just a pulley change too.
OK I am a little confused here According to the Brenspeed website the V3 Vortech kit you are referring to adds 150 RWHP and the HO Vortech kit from Brenspeed adds over 190 RWHP.

http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html

The V2 HO kit which is on sale at AM only adds 162HP at the CRANK.

So the lower priced kit at Brenspeed adds more HP than the higher priced kit at AM??

I am new to all this.....can someone please clarify for me. Thanks!
Old 1/30/11, 03:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh here is the link to the Vortech on the AM website. It is on clearance 25% off the sale price.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-06-...ortech-sc.html
Old 1/30/11, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

To be honest this is the only reason i never went with a Shaker. I love having the power down low but i would hate to go with a Centi just to have style over the function in my case. For you, you might love the power of the vortech and most people do. For me it just does not feel like a supercharged car untill you get higher up in the RPM. And since i already chose my hood and i can not go with a Super Shaker now.
Old 1/30/11, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was going to get the V2 HO Vortech on sale at AM....but now after reading this thread, I am really considering a twin screw.

I do not drag race the car.......drive it only during the sping/summer on sunny days. Do some occasional spirited driving, mostly cruising around and going to some car shows.

It sounds there is no real benefit with the centri type of chargers unless you are really pushing the car.......as opposed to twin screw where you will feel the power right away.

Would 410 gears and a twin screw be OK in my situation?
Old 1/30/11, 02:48 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would 410 gears and a twin screw be OK in my situation?

Sure if you don't like your rear tires...

Most with a positive displacement type s/c run 3.73's, other wise you just destroy the tires in anything under 3rd gear. If you go with a centri then the 4.10's make up for some of the loss down low.

I have plans for a s/c in the future and want a Whipple but I doubt I will ever be able to afford one. So, when I did my gear install I had 4.10's installed knowing that I will be going with a H.O. Procharger. This will help make up for the low end loss vs. the positive displacement units.
Old 1/30/11, 05:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have a friend with a Vortech on his car and when he had the 3.31 gears i would blow his car away on take offs but once he got a good chunk of boost he was gone. Once he installed the 4.30s for drag racing there was no doubt that my car was in the dust. I like road racing so most of my powerband needs to be down low so i am going with the Roush R2300 and 3.73 gears.

Last edited by RedDragon777; 1/30/11 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Procharger or Saleen supercharger on 06 GT?