GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Procharger fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/06, 11:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im having my procharger installed on Monday. Does anyone with procharger experience on the '05-'06 GT know if I need a Boost-a-pump to go along with the new 39# injectors? I got the complete kit with injectors, pump, programmer, intercooler etc, but was surprised that their wasnt a pump booster or MAF extender. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 3/10/06, 11:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I would definately make sure you have an electric boost a pump. I ordered the 05 kit and it came with the boost a pump. I purchased the mafia seperately and it kept me from having to cut and extend the wires, plus I have the ability to change the voltage if needed when tuning. I think procharger should include an extension with connectors installed.

Jon
Old 3/11/06, 05:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If you want to make more then about 400rwhp then you'll definatly need the boost a pump and the MAFia...
Old 3/11/06, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

sorry cgoeschel, but your going to have to keep spending. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

My choice, order A Ford GT Fuel Pump
Old 3/11/06, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, ordered the MAFia and the Autolite HT0 colder plugs. Think Im going to wait on the boost a pump and take a look at the fuel pressure gauge I bought and see what happens. If it drops, ill have to get the boost a pump. BTW anyone ever see the movie "Money Pit"? lol
Old 3/11/06, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cgoeschel @ March 11, 2006, 12:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, ordered the MAFia and the Autolite HT0 colder plugs. Think Im going to wait on the boost a pump and take a look at the fuel pressure gauge I bought and see what happens. If it drops, ill have to get the boost a pump. BTW anyone ever see the movie "Money Pit"? lol
[/b][/quote]

You ever heard of opening a can of worms? I wouldn't order the pump, just run it lean and blow it up so you can do what you really want to it!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

lol..i want to have a little fun first...before i drop another 10K.
Old 3/11/06, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

Doesn't it come with a high pressure pump? if so why would you need a boost a pump? I know the Boost a pump comes with the Kenne bell but they recommend using the stock pump.
Old 3/11/06, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

The pump they send is a 255l/hr pump. Same as stock i believe...not sure why they do it.
Old 3/11/06, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cgoeschel @ March 11, 2006, 5:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The pump they send is a 255l/hr pump. Same as stock i believe...not sure why they do it.
[/b][/quote]
The stock Mustang GT uses the SVT Focus pump at 185l/ph
The pump they sent should be plenty, KB has there reasons to use the boost a pump over a replacement pump but its not because of a lack of fuel pressure
Old 3/11/06, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FoMoCo @ March 11, 2006, 4:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The stock Mustang GT uses the SVT Focus pump at 185l/ph[/b][/quote]
Interesting... the spec sheet I have says 123lph for the stock pump. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 06:36 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 11, 2006, 7:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Interesting... the spec sheet I have says 123lph for the stock pump. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
The info I got was from Kenne Bells website, scroll down to page 5 http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-tec...VgtTechTips.pdf
Being your info is from the horses mouth (Ford), 123 it is.
Old 3/11/06, 08:10 PM
V6 Member

Back to cgoeschel's question, does he need a boost a pump when he already has a 255L/ph replacement pump? I say no, but Im no expert, maybe some tuners can chime in on this.
Old 3/11/06, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Well it goes in on Monday for the blower, long tubes etc.....I just wanted to get a jump on getting the boost a pump if my installer was going to need it. I ordered the MAFia this morning after reading some posts on this site, otherwise I wouldnt have had that either.
Old 3/11/06, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cgoeschel @ March 11, 2006, 8:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well it goes in on Monday for the blower, long tubes etc.....I just wanted to get a jump on getting the boost a pump if my installer was going to need it. I ordered the MAFia this morning after reading some posts on this site, otherwise I wouldnt have had that either.
[/b][/quote]

Are you using the stock pump that came with the GT or a different one?
Old 3/11/06, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Im using the 255l/hr pump that comes with the Procharger kit.
Old 3/12/06, 11:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If the pump that comes with the Procharger kit is the same as the one from the Vortech kit then sell it to a car that can use it, an 87-95 GT. The Walbro 255lph pump isn't designed to work with the variable voltage fuel system on 99-up Mustang's.

The stock pump isn't the problem here, you can put dual stock pumps in the tank if you want and it still wont hold it. The wiring to the fuel pump is what the killer is. There again our fuel systems are run by voltage varation, more voltage, or amperage, more fuel output. When you are running n/a with stock injectors the output of the pump is enough to handle the fuel commanded by the PCM at WOT. When you goto 39lbs injectors and are running a supercharged engine then the fuel commanded by the PCM is ALOT more, this in turn demands more of the fuel pump and raises the duty cycle of the pump.

This is where the problems occur. THe PCM commands more duty cycle because the fuel pressure rail sensor says it needs it and the wire size feeding both the Fuel Pump Driver Module(FPDM) and the Fuel pump itself cannot handle the added load because it isn't getting the proper amount of voltage. It is a 16 guage wire, about the size of a pencil lead from a # 2 pencil.

Now, what I do to all of the supercharged cars I tune is to upgrade the wire diameter to both the FPDM and from there to the Fuel pump to a #10 guage wire. Just smaller then a normal cable TV wire. This gives the STOCK fuel pump enough range to support around 450-ish Hp at 60psi of fuel pressure.

THis is basically what a Boost-A-pump does, it raises the voltage supplied to the fuel pump as per boost demands. Funny thing though, if you run it off the same 16 guage wire then you aren't really doing enough. You should still run larger wire to feed the boost a pump and wire it in before the FPDM and then run larger wire to feed the fuel pump, in my opinion. There are some that say wire it in after the FPDM but if you do that then you take away the PCM's ability to controll the Fuel pump output.

Please I dont wish to argue the point about how to wire in the Boost-A-pump, this is how I do it.

I just tuned yet anothe Vortech S/C auto yesterday and did the above mods,without the pump. We made 444rwhp (again) and 370rwtq. Funny how the same amount of timing on an auto made the same Hp as it did on a manual car, now the Tq was a bit lower and I guess that's from the auto. It was a very nice car to drive as the normal driving aspect was stock as could be until you made it to around 3/4 throttle and then the power delivery from the Vortech mated with the auto was very pleasing as it wasn't violent but more linear then I would have thought.

thanks, Doug.
Old 3/12/06, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very enlightening, Doug.

My current plan calls for a street set-up and a track set-up. The track set-up will likely be in the 15# boost range (on race gas of course), and I will need a fuel system that can deliver enough oomph to support it. What would you recommend for my situation where I don't plan on staying in the 450rwhp range?
Old 3/12/06, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

Doug904, nice explanation! Iv'e been schooled!

Quick Reply: Procharger fuel pressure