GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Prochamber vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/07, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Prochamber vibrations

Well I need help. As some of you know I have been experimenting with different exhaust setups looking for that special sound. After months of trying different setups and bunch of money I have settled on this
Offroad Mac Prochamber..Borla pipes ...GTA mufflers.
Here's my problem. The Mac Prochamber lowers the tone of the exhaust quite a bit. To the point where the tone creates things to buzz and vibrate that never did with the stock H-pipe. I have something buzzing behind the dash straight in front of me when accelerating that is driving me nuts. It sounds just like a kazoo. I have checked everything I can get my hands on from under the car, under the hood, under the dash and no luck finding this sucker. I am ready to pull the dash pad so I can look from the top down. How in the heck do you remove it and can you see anything when removed behind the gauges. I know this is not performance related but don't know where else to post it. Has anyone removed their dash pad?? How do you do it???
Scott
Old 1/26/07, 06:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott, you obviously didn't get the kazoo delete option !.....pulling the dash pad!.......that going to be a real pain in the **** area !!
Old 1/26/07, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Whoa nelly!

Scott, in all my exhaust trials, blunders, etc., I am 99.99% sure I've heard this rattle that you describe. The Bassani X has been notorious for it and honest-to-god I just fixed it (again) earlier today!

What I have found is that on the "legs" that are moveable and attach to the stock exhaust manifolds, if they are not perfectly centered on the manifolds they will rattle and buzz even if the bolts holding the flanges are tight as snot. I know it sounds crazy, but its true- atleast on this Bassani pipe with the adjustable/removeable legs and also other people have experienced it with other midpipes too. Because the sound is at the manifold connection, the sound is so far foward of the drivers seat that it makes it sound like it's coming from the dash/high floorboard area.

I hope I'm not leading you on a goose chase because its possible that you are experiencing something else, but honestly I've had this happen 3x now with my Bassani after installing/removing it many times and each time, including today, I loosened the connections, moved the legs around on the stock manifolds to make sure they're completely seated properly, then tightened everything down and VIOLA, rattles/buzzes are gone.

If you're wondering why I haven't caught it on the initial installs, its because they do appear to be seated but really aren't- you can't tell until you lower the car and take it for a spin. Occasionally, I have been able to duplicate the sound when the car is up on jacks, and I have it in gear and spinning the tires in the air.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to help.
Old 1/26/07, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a pretty serious buzz/vibration when I am driving around 70 and then get on it to pass another car. I think it's coming from the Ford Racing X Pipe. Maybe I'll have the muffler shop tear off those clips and weld the pipe into place.
Old 1/26/07, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my cutouts are open, my e-brake handle vibrates like crazy!!
Old 1/27/07, 12:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
How do you even hear anything rattling with those cutouts open. Geez!
Old 1/27/07, 12:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Whoa nelly!

Scott, in all my exhaust trials, blunders, etc., I am 99.99% sure I've heard this rattle that you describe. The Bassani X has been notorious for it and honest-to-god I just fixed it (again) earlier today!

What I have found is that on the "legs" that are moveable and attach to the stock exhaust manifolds, if they are not perfectly centered on the manifolds they will rattle and buzz even if the bolts holding the flanges are tight as snot. I know it sounds crazy, but its true- atleast on this Bassani pipe with the adjustable/removeable legs and also other people have experienced it with other midpipes too. Because the sound is at the manifold connection, the sound is so far foward of the drivers seat that it makes it sound like it's coming from the dash/high floorboard area.

I hope I'm not leading you on a goose chase because its possible that you are experiencing something else, but honestly I've had this happen 3x now with my Bassani after installing/removing it many times and each time, including today, I loosened the connections, moved the legs around on the stock manifolds to make sure they're completely seated properly, then tightened everything down and VIOLA, rattles/buzzes are gone.

If you're wondering why I haven't caught it on the initial installs, its because they do appear to be seated but really aren't- you can't tell until you lower the car and take it for a spin. Occasionally, I have been able to duplicate the sound when the car is up on jacks, and I have it in gear and spinning the tires in the air.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to help.

Very interesting!! To tell you the truth I have had this buzz ever since I had the Prochamber installed. Of course at first the stock cats were still in place but I guess since I had to cut the stock H pipe to install it that could have created a different condition at the ball socket at the header. Then after I installed the offroad legs to the Prochamber it has just gotten worse. I have had a very difficult time pinpointing the exact location this buzz is coming from. And at first I swore it has located around my feet. But after checking everything I can get my hands on under the dash and hood I have convinced myself it must be higher up in the dash. I have even checked everything under the car around the off road legs to see if something was touching them. I will get the car airborn again and try to reseat the ball sockets at the headers again. This is what I love about this site. I have been given a different path of thinking because I can tap into all of the experiences of hundreds of people on this site. Thanks Tom. I'll be back.
Scott
Old 1/27/07, 05:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w

What? What?? I can't hear you.........
Old 1/27/07, 09:56 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the thing with going straight pipe you have now rattles that you will never know where there coming from.
Old 1/27/07, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hear is a vid that has the rattle or buzz I am complaining about. If you listen carefully you can hear it. I am going at just normal acceleration during this vid. TOM281... Is this what your buzz sounds likes??? It's pis*'n me off.
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...rigginbuzz.flv
Old 1/27/07, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hear is a vid that has the rattle or buzz I am complaining about. If you listen carefully you can hear it. I am going at just normal acceleration during this vid. TOM281... Is this what your buzz sounds likes??? It's pis*'n me off.
Scott

Scott, from the ease of hearing it, unless your camcorder is super-sensitive your noise sounds much louder than mine ever did. That's noticeable, for sure. I hope what I posted earlier helps you, otherwise you'll have to track 'er down somehow.

Oh by the way, I watched your video of your current setup at WOT- that sounds really good!! I got to get some resonators on my offroad H; I kinda miss that extra attitude.
Old 1/27/07, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Scott, from the ease of hearing it, unless your camcorder is super-sensitive your noise sounds much louder than mine ever did. That's noticeable, for sure. I hope what I posted earlier helps you, otherwise you'll have to track 'er down somehow.

Oh by the way, I watched your video of your current setup at WOT- that sounds really good!! I got to get some resonators on my offroad H; I kinda miss that extra attitude.

I must really be in deep poopy. The noise I am *****i# about is louder than the camera could ever capture. Oh... Hel***!
Scott
Old 1/27/07, 04:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scott

Wow Scott that seems like it would be pretty dam annoying, sorry to hear that.
Old 1/27/07, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's the clamps.
Old 1/27/07, 06:20 PM
GT Member

This sounds crazy but try to ask someone to drive it while you are trying to narrow it down. You dont want to be trying to know where it's from and crash into something like almost did!!
Old 1/28/07, 05:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I think it's the clamps.

I was under the car again yesterday and everything is good and tight as far as the clamps go. I did not have time to reseat the offroad legs to the stock manifolds. It's going to be 20 degrees here for the next few days. To cold to lay on the garage floor.

Tom 281.
I take it my buzz it alot louder than what you had but does it have the same kind of sound?
Scott
Old 1/28/07, 05:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

[quote=RACING GT;830259]This sounds crazy but try to ask someone to drive it while you are trying to narrow it down. You dont want to be trying to know where it's from and crash into something like almost did!![/quote

Good idea... Better have my wife driving. The noise is in front of the driver. I'd need my head between her legs to get the best angle on it.
Scott
Old 1/28/07, 05:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

[QUOTE=70MACH1OWNER;830526]
Originally Posted by RACING GT
This sounds crazy but try to ask someone to drive it while you are trying to narrow it down. You dont want to be trying to know where it's from and crash into something like almost did!![/quote

Good idea... Better have my wife driving. The noise is in front of the driver. I'd need my head between her legs to get the best angle on it.
Scott
Old 1/28/07, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom 281.
I take it my buzz it alot louder than what you had but does it have the same kind of sound?
Scott
Yes, that's the same kind of sound its just yours seems much louder than mine ever was.

Scott
I'll leave that one alone, thank you.......
Old 3/13/07, 09:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I am bringing back this thread because I am convinced my rattle or buzz in definitely coming from behind the dash directly in front of the driver area. I got back under the car this weekend and checked all the the connections of my offroad pipes to the headers and it all seems fine. I also put some extra kinks in the heatshields where the cats are thinking they might be vibrating. No luck. Looks like I'm headed into the dash area. I know it is hard for you guys to know what it sounds like but... imagine having a bolt with a washer on it that it backed off a bit and lets the washer vibrate. That's just what it sounds like. Driving me nuts. This buzz started when I installed the Prochamber but I believe it only surfaced because the PC lowers the tone of the exhaust. I am not blaming the PC it just creates a different frequency on vibration than the stock H pipe with cats.
Scott

Quick Reply: Prochamber vibrations