GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

prochamber with stock cats?

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/07, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prochamber with stock cats?

Anyone have a prochamber installed with stock cats? What was the change in sound (tone, and volume) versus the stock H pipe?
Old 6/9/07, 10:08 AM
GT Member

Yep I had a prochamber with stock exhaust. It was quieter, too quiet so I woke it up with slp loudmouths. Sounded good then but a little too loud in the cabin on the highway. I then removed the cats. Sounded good but was crazy loud so off came the loudmouths on went the stock mufflers and I now have a great sounding setup. Deep, loud when I want it to, very normal inside on the highway, and no drone. I have vids posted of each setup in the exhaust thread.
Old 6/9/07, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I ran my prochamber for a month or so with the stock cats. I think it may have been a little bit quieter also.. but smoother sounding with a slightly lower tone. I than removed the cats and it sounds just right.
Scott
Old 6/9/07, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

that mufflers did you guys have with the prochamber and stock cats? I have flowmasters. I don't want to mess with the cats at all. Looking for a bit more volume, and a slightly deeper tone. I like the flowmaster tone, I'd like to keep them if possible. Wonder what the prochamber would do for the flowmasters and stock cats? Think it would get softer? or is that only with stock mufflers?

I know I'd love the catless sound, my old camaro didn't have cats, but I'm in LA, I don't want to mess with the cats :-(

What about other H or X pipes, any of those give me a bit more volume with out getting raspy? (keeping cats)
Old 6/25/07, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

could anyone suggest a set of mufflers to go along with a pro-chamber and stock cats? I'm looking for more volume, I currently have flowmasters.
Old 6/26/07, 08:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Error404
could anyone suggest a set of mufflers to go along with a pro-chamber and stock cats? I'm looking for more volume, I currently have flowmasters.

Can you elaborate on what more volume means to you. If you are looking for a meaner louder sound than go with Borla's or FFRP mufflers. But I can tell you the drone will be aweful. I am running the GTA's with my set up. It is plenty loud without the drone. But I am also running the offroad version.
Old 6/26/07, 09:32 AM
GT Member

What about other H or X pipes, any of those give me a bit more volume with out getting raspy? (keeping cats)
Since you ask, I have the FRPP X-pipe which keeps the cats. Combined with the GTAs, it gave me a bit more volume (especially at WOT) and lower tone, nothing obnoxious though. To me the tone is smoother than the stock H, but not raspy. I really like the combo, and you don't have to worry about emission in CA since you don't mess with cats and are still in the legal noise level limit.
Old 6/26/07, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Can you elaborate on what more volume means to you. If you are looking for a meaner louder sound than go with Borla's or FFRP mufflers. But I can tell you the drone will be aweful. I am running the GTA's with my set up. It is plenty loud without the drone. But I am also running the offroad version.
I'm mostly looking for more volume, but don't want to get to raspy. I have heard great things about the prochamber, so I'm looking for a set of mufflers that goes well with that, and gives more volume than I have right now with the flowmasters
Old 6/26/07, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm mostly looking for more volume, but don't want to get to raspy. I have heard great things about the prochamber, so I'm looking for a set of mufflers that goes well with that, and gives more volume than I have right now with the flowmasters
Than I would try the FFRP mufflers. But remember I warned you about the drone factor.
Scott
Old 6/26/07, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

they much louder than flowmasters?
Old 6/26/07, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well... I have run the Borla's with the Mac Prochamber so I know what that sounds like. I have never run the Flows but have heard them. The Borla's are straight thru design and the Flows are a baffled muffler. Hard to put a number on it but if I had to guess the Borla's would be 15 to 20 % louder. Don't know if that helps you with any decision. SteelTownStang has run both mufflers with the stock H setup. Maybe you so PM him for a comparision.
Scott
Old 6/26/07, 02:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think SteelTownStang has ran both! Steel can probably give you a well informed answer!
Old 6/26/07, 04:23 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
I would strongly recommend, that if you're preference is running a straight thru designed muffler, with the Prochamber ? I would go Magnaflows all the way..My understanding is, although their a straight flow design ? their also much quieter and refined, when compared to Borla/Frpp stingers..Otherwise, I would recommend going with either GTA's or MAC axle backs..Just my $.02
Old 6/26/07, 04:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had a prochamber and Flow Master 40 series on my 00 GT and it was the best sounding exhaust ever!!! I am going to add a prochamber to my Magnaflows when I get back.

Register over on mustang exhaust.com they have a sound board of ALL exhaust setups. The ones for the previous body styles are a little more complete with clips and what not but our section is good to.
Old 6/26/07, 05:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
I had a prochamber and Flow Master 40 series on my 00 GT and it was the best sounding exhaust ever!!! I am going to add a prochamber to my Magnaflows when I get back.

Register over on mustang exhaust.com they have a sound board of ALL exhaust setups. The ones for the previous body styles are a little more complete with clips and what not but our section is good to.
Do you have Magnapaks? If so post some clips once you get done b/c I am looking into a new setup w/ my magnapaks. Right now everything before the cats is stock...
Old 6/26/07, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
Thanks, I'll do that :-)
Old 6/27/07, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Why not run the MAC axle backs with the Prochamber? I heard a video clip with the complete MAC setup but with the off-road Prochamber and it sounded awesome!
Old 6/27/07, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rudiepoo1
Why not run the MAC axle backs with the Prochamber? I heard a video clip with the complete MAC setup but with the off-road Prochamber and it sounded awesome!
how much louder are the mac mufflers than the flowmaster mufflers?
Old 6/27/07, 10:38 AM
GT Member

I haven't heard the Flows in person in a while but I personally feel the MAC's are just right. I love the tone, their not super loud at idle but when you get on it you know it. Funny story I had a guy pull up to me at a light and first thing he says is "you need to get yourself some flows". Green light, pressure on pedal, and all I hear is "Holy ****" as I take off. Next light he's asking if their chambered mufflers and so on. Here's the clip of the MAC setup with off-road Prochamber.
http://media.putfile.com/MAC-ProchamberMAC-Axle-back
Old 6/27/07, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I won't be having the off road prochamber. I think I'm going to try the SLP loud mouths, with the factory cats and H. See how that goes!

Quick Reply: prochamber with stock cats?