GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Problems with SCT Tuner after Alternator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/14, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with SCT Tuner after Alternator Replacement

Just got my 2006 GT back from the Ford Service Center after replacing the alternator but it's not running smoothly and when I ran a check using my SCT tuner the codes indicate that it is running lean so I tried to reinstall my bama custom tune standard setting it comes up incorrect vehicle code 1017 so I can't re-tune. Does anyone have any experience with this problem ?
Old 2/1/14, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like they reflashed your PCM back to Stock. Gonna have to call SCT.
Old 2/1/14, 08:57 AM

Ok, will try and get hold of Bama and see if they can sort me out , thanks for comment
Old 2/4/14, 09:07 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zimbo
Just got my 2006 GT back from the Ford Service Center after replacing the alternator but it's not running smoothly and when I ran a check using my SCT tuner the codes indicate that it is running lean so I tried to reinstall my bama custom tune standard setting it comes up incorrect vehicle code 1017 so I can't re-tune. Does anyone have any experience with this problem ?
It sounds like the dealership flashed your PCM back to stock. That would overwrite the tune that was on your Mustang at the time. I would assume you have modifications done to the vehicle that require a tune and that's why you're getting a lean code now.

If they did flash your car back to stock, your SCT device is now useless. You'll have to send it back to SCT directly for the device to be unlocked. I would give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you need some help from me.

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 2/4/14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 2/4/14, 10:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's stupid why would they even flash his car? **** dealers
Old 2/5/14, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fdjizm
That's stupid why would they even flash his car? **** dealers
This is a very common practice. Dealerships will always check your PCM for updates. If there is an update, they'll do it and most likely won't even tell you. That's why it's never a good idea to hide the fact that your Mustang is tuned. I told my dealership that it was tuned and I even return the car to stock before going in for service to insure that they don't mess anything up.

-Dan
Old 2/6/14, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I have never experienced a Ford dealer re-flashing my tune, but I know it is a common practice at dealerships and have heard of it happening before. Besides making sure I tell the service manager that it has a custom tune and for the tech to be sure NOT to try re-flashing it, I double down by putting a piece of black electrical tape over the OBD port, with a tag attached stating that the car has a custom tune installed and NOT to re-flash the computer......better safe than sorry and a having a hassle to go through, as well as possible injury to the engine.
Old 2/6/14, 09:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
This is a very common practice. Dealerships will always check your PCM for updates. If there is an update, they'll do it and most likely won't even tell you. That's why it's never a good idea to hide the fact that your Mustang is tuned. I told my dealership that it was tuned and I even return the car to stock before going in for service to insure that they don't mess anything up.

-Dan
Dan, I don't understand why one can't just plug in the Sct tuner and reinstall the performance tune. What does the dealership re flashing the PCM have too do with using the Sct tuner to reinstall the tune
Old 2/7/14, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Dan, I don't understand why one can't just plug in the Sct tuner and reinstall the performance tune. What does the dealership re flashing the PCM have too do with using the Sct tuner to reinstall the tune
If you have a custom tune on your car, the SCT device stores the stock tune and registers that the car has a custom tune loaded. If the dealership re-flashes your PCM back to stock, the SCT device and your PCM are out of sync at that point. That's why it's a good idea to return the PCM back to stock before taking your car in for service so that doesn't happen.
Old 2/7/14, 11:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MusicMan66
If you have a custom tune on your car, the SCT device stores the stock tune and registers that the car has a custom tune loaded. If the dealership re-flashes your PCM back to stock, the SCT device and your PCM are out of sync at that point. That's why it's a good idea to return the PCM back to stock before taking your car in for service so that doesn't happen.
Oh wow. Just another reason why not to go to dealership for work. Heck , I have so many bolt on mods my car would barley run on the factory tune. The speed odometer would be off, and with my long tubes and off road x pipe who knows how the thing would idle and run. Lol
Old 2/13/14, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just be happy SCT made a change with the X3. With the old X2 when the dealer flashed the computer with a new stock tune and you then tried to load your tune back in, it turned the computer into a brick. You had to get it towed to the dealer and they had to load a complete new stock tune into it. Then you had to get tunes for the X2 based on the new computer code. Don't ask me how I know this.

Earl
Old 2/1/15, 05:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zimbo

I hope you returned to stock before it went in , then checked to see that your code matched before uploading any tune. I alays tell dealer to never re flash or else , actually I don't trust my dealer any more Suburban motors in Victoria BC can't even install a passenger window without botching it up ,nor can they fix an aluminium hood paint issue 😠
Old 2/1/15, 03:32 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Always make certain to re-flash your PCM back to stock first ! Otherwise make your service advisor aware that you have a custom tune and do not under any circumstances want your PCM updated even if available..
Old 6/20/15, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabre
I have never experienced a Ford dealer re-flashing my tune, but I know it is a common practice at dealerships and have heard of it happening before. Besides making sure I tell the service manager that it has a custom tune and for the tech to be sure NOT to try re-flashing it, I double down by putting a piece of black electrical tape over the OBD port, with a tag attached stating that the car has a custom tune installed and NOT to re-flash the computer......better safe than sorry and a having a hassle to go through, as well as possible injury to the engine.
This is the best thing to do.
Flashing back to stock to take to dealer, not an option for me.

If they do an update, and you did flash back to stock, there still is a chance it may not take your tune even still. Could come up with a different calibration code and the tuner wont like that.

Speaking of dealers, need to take it in for that air bag inflator recall.
Old 6/20/15, 11:41 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoenr
This is the best thing to do.
Flashing back to stock to take to dealer, not an option for me.

If they do an update, and you did flash back to stock, there still is a chance it may not take your tune even still. Could come up with a different calibration code and the tuner wont like that.

Speaking of dealers, need to take it in for that air bag inflator recall.
And if you leave an aftermarket tune in the PCM and the dealer re-flashes with an updated calibration code ? You then have no chance of using the programmer at all, as it will still have the old calibration code stored in the device's memory in which you'll then have to ship your tuner to SCT to have it unlocked..

This is exactly why SCT and every tuning vendor requires always re-flashing back to stock before taking your vehicle back to the dealer for servicing..

Even if the dealership updates your stock calibration code ? Your programmer will accept the new PCM code, provided your PCM has been returned to the original OEM calibration/code first..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/20/15 at 11:54 AM.