GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

PMM Installed

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/08, 05:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool PMM Installed

First impression compared to the stingers is it sounds very similar but a little more throaty and open. My stingers also had about 10,000 miles on them so thats a plus for the mid muff, I think it will only get better as time goes on.They do drone but not as much as the stingers. I had the exhaust shop weld the system but it vibrates sometimes.Its a minor vibrate but still, I want perfection! What can cause the vibration, maybe the hangers? I am hoping that the vibration will go away as its broken in, if not I will take it to the shop and see what they can do... I am very pleased with this exhaust, it sounds MEAN!!!... Any thoughts as to what is causing the vibration? Thanks

P.S. They said they did not have any fitment issues and the tips are exact...

-Adam

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 3/15/08 at 05:59 PM.
Old 3/15/08, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a TSB for the tranny cross member hangers. They have this metal wrapped around that was used for aligning the exhaust system at the factory. The TSB says it can cause vibration around 800-1500rpms.
Old 3/15/08, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
LOL glad you like it since it's welded.
Old 3/15/08, 06:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Just got back from a cruse around town and no vibrations, i'll keep my fingers crossed...
Old 3/15/08, 06:58 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Mustang05
There's a TSB for the tranny cross member hangers. They have this metal wrapped around that was used for aligning the exhaust system at the factory. The TSB says it can cause vibration around 800-1500rpms.
Is there a number for this tsb or what do I tell the dealer when i take it there?
Old 3/15/08, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Is there a number for this tsb or what do I tell the dealer when i take it there?

hahahaa first tell them you don't have a blower and aftermarket exhaust
Old 3/15/08, 08:18 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tom281
hahahaa first tell them you don't have a blower and aftermarket exhaust
Not funny Tom
Old 3/15/08, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check to see if your hangers are touching body of car..especially on drivers side...near bumper area..when the exhaust gets hot enough...it expands...pushing system backwards...nearly an inch. sounds crazy...but it happened to me ...i found the hangers were rubbing sheetmetal...when system cooled down...it receeded away. just cut some off the end off hanger if this is what it is. Another way to check..look at tips when your car is cold...reference how far they stick out of bumper...then go romp it awhile...get it hot...then take a look at tips when you shutoff car...
Old 3/15/08, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Same here. The noise was driving me crazy because I couldn't figure out what was causing it. It only happened when the car was warmed up really well. In my case, it was the drivers side rear most muffler hanger rod that would come into contact with a bolt on the bumper. I cut off about 3/4 inch and have not had a single problem since.
Old 3/15/08, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Did they install the SLP tips with it or did you use the pypes tips?
Old 3/15/08, 09:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

thats funny cause i get a small rattle/vibration but only when the system is cold, once i drive the car for 15 seconds it goes away, and its only at a certain rpm....

i think its just the reverberation of one of the body panels back there while theres cold air in the tubes....
Old 3/16/08, 01:43 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Same here. The noise was driving me crazy because I couldn't figure out what was causing it. It only happened when the car was warmed up really well. In my case, it was the drivers side rear most muffler hanger rod that would come into contact with a bolt on the bumper. I cut off about 3/4 inch and have not had a single problem since.
Dumb question but I can cut the hanger without taking the exhaust off correct...Maybe without jack stands. I was looking at how much was left on the hangers, there is plenty to cut...
Old 3/16/08, 01:44 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by JRay05stang
Did they install the SLP tips with it or did you use the pypes tips?
No, I don't think the pypes tips look that bad, I kind of like them. Maybe in the future because I really like the slp rolled tips...
Old 3/16/08, 12:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Dumb question but I can cut the hanger without taking the exhaust off correct...Maybe without jack stands. I was looking at how much was left on the hangers, there is plenty to cut...

Old 3/16/08, 12:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

just check some of the bolts. I had the same problem. A rattle but only at cold start up. I just played with it for a few. Problem solved.
Old 3/16/08, 01:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
just check some of the bolts. I had the same problem. A rattle but only at cold start up. I just played with it for a few. Problem solved.
I noticed the rear right hanger is way to long and there is a bolt about 1/2in away from it. Maybe that can cause vibration. Metal and plastic can't cause vibration can it? The pieces that the hangers go through are some sort of plastic and i'm curious if those can vibrate...
Old 3/16/08, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

well they are rubber... and should obsorbe most of the vibration from the exhaust....

when i stand behind the car i can feel the vibration in my legs and stuff so i know it could be doing the same to the body panels and what not causing noise.
Old 3/16/08, 03:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not funny Tom

awfully clever though, come on you gotta give me that
Old 3/16/08, 04:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tom281
awfully clever though, come on you gotta give me that
It was alright
Old 3/16/08, 04:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
well they are rubber... and should obsorbe most of the vibration from the exhaust....

when i stand behind the car i can feel the vibration in my legs and stuff so i know it could be doing the same to the body panels and what not causing noise.
Maybe but it wasn't there before so it's gotta be something with the exhaust. I'm gonna try and trim the rear right hanger because its too long... In a previous post someone said that the tips would push further back because the exhaust expands when warm and I noticed that. They came back about 1/2 in. That has to do something with the vibration because I noticed it will vibrate after driving around for a little. Its wierd though because it will vibrate once or twice then it goes away... IDK

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 3/16/08 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: PMM Installed