GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pics of my Airaid CAI

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/06, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pics of my Airaid CAI

This thing works great, fit and finish is fantastic, less than an hour to install. Noticeable increase in performance and the engine sounds awesome under full throttle. I had the car out to the track, it was 12 degrees warmer than the last time I was there but I still managed the same ET's with worse 60' times and higher mph. So I was making more power on a hotter day, having a harder time hooking up but pulling harder on the top end. I ran against a 05 GT that had a C&L/tune and M/T drag radials and was right at her door at the end of the quarter mile.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my Airaid CAI-p7210202-large-.jpg   Pics of my Airaid CAI-p7210203-large-.jpg  
Old 7/27/06, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks nice and OE-like. I like it!
Old 7/27/06, 07:23 AM

Airaid

Nice setup. Was wondering who did your reflash and what tuner and tune/octane level was used.
Old 7/27/06, 02:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6pack, he most likely didn't reflash the system, as this is the one cool thing with the Airaid system. No tune is needed. If the need for want for one arises, you can take out the MVT inside the airtube, and then you would need to get a custom tune for it.

Hey Claude, I have this same setup, and I love it. I can definitely feel more power, especially in 4th AND 5th gear. Plus the sound it makes at WOT w/ my Borla's is AWESOME!! I highly recommend this CAI to anyone who chats with me at my local shows. May I ask where did you pick your up from?
Old 7/27/06, 05:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Looks great!

Looks like it'll be a pain for those that will want to incorporate a Shaker with the Airaid because of the large heatshield. But, if there's a will, there's a way.
Old 7/28/06, 12:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have it also...after I installed it I raced a SN95 guy who a whole bunch of goodies and beat him. At the next light he thought I won becayse he heard the 'Supercharger whine'. We pulled over and I let him inspect the car...nope, just a good ol' Airaid
Old 7/28/06, 04:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for pix and write-up. See, this is all I ask for in a product, multiple forum members buy a product, they like it, and others respond in the same manner. If I go with a non-tune CAI, I feel like this is a good choice. I wish other CAI products would have the same kind of TMS'ers feeedback. There's one CAI out there that the manufacture raves about, and says lots of been sold. But, no one on any of the forums I watch have one. Hummmm, too good to be true?

CAI with/without a tune for me is about funds, at least I have options now!!
Old 7/28/06, 06:00 AM

Looks good, went on their website and read all about it. Placed an order today from AutoParts WareHouse $255 delivered.
Old 7/28/06, 07:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey nole, glad you like the reviews from us fellow TMSers. It is a good thing to have people like a product and review it, and praise it. Like I said in my previous post, this system is top notch for the money. See, I didn't really want to mess with the computer system right off the bat. Also, to get the one I really wanted, had I wanted to re-flash, the Steeda one costs over $600! Its a good product from what I hear, but $600 is $600. I got mine for $240 shipped and it has improved my car's performance. Plus, when the time comes to do a flash, I can just take out the MVT tube, and do it. I don't need to go out and purchase a whole different CAI system. If you get one, let us know what you think of it. You won't be sorry you got this product.
Old 7/28/06, 10:21 AM
GT Member

I've had this kit installed on my '05 GT for some time now and can't say enough about it. It fits like a glove.

I installed mine the same day I installed my Bassani X-pipe, so I went ahead and got it tuned. The intake is huge with the MVT removed, but for some reason, we were not able to get it to idle / run with the MVT removed. I am currently getting 305 rwhp with the MVT in and a Diablo 89 octane tune. I would love to get it tuned with the MVT removed. Can anyone provide some hints as to how I can get it to work? Thanks.
Old 7/28/06, 02:29 PM
GT Member

The Airaid looks pretty good and for the price a gain of 17 rwhp isn't bad at all. I really don't want to flash because I will have trouble with my dealer for any warranty work so I was hoping to get a CAI that comes on and off easy in case it goes to the dealer for service.

I looked at the install directions and saw one thing I didn't like, something about cutting the ends off the stock breather tube for install on the Airaid tube. So this kinda ruins that part for reinstall back to stock doesn't it?
Old 7/28/06, 08:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by blaster
The Airaid looks pretty good and for the price a gain of 17 rwhp isn't bad at all. I really don't want to flash because I will have trouble with my dealer for any warranty work so I was hoping to get a CAI that comes on and off easy in case it goes to the dealer for service.

I looked at the install directions and saw one thing I didn't like, something about cutting the ends off the stock breather tube for install on the Airaid tube. So this kinda ruins that part for reinstall back to stock doesn't it?
Bob, I wouldn't at all worry about using the rubber breather hose that Airaid includes, compared to the cheap plastic one that is OEM. If a dealer gives you ANY HASSLES over this little thing, (assuming your plan on taking it out when you take in it, I would take you car elsewhere. In reality, the rubber hose is better than the plastic. When I installed my Airaid, you have to cut the plastic hose, to reuse the ends to reinstall, and the plastic really is cheap. I say go for the Airaid, and there shouldn't be any worries. In reality, since this doesn't need a flash (I didn't do it on mine) the dealer you go to, shouldn't have any issues with you having this installed in your car. It actually gives you better MPG and it makes the car sound better. If you have any questions on the setup, feel free to ask me.
Old 7/28/06, 09:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Bob, I wouldn't at all worry about using the rubber breather hose that Airaid includes, compared to the cheap plastic one that is OEM.
I couldn't figure out from the directions (since I don't have one) what the deal is with the tube. So you're saying the Airaid just replaces the plastic with the rubber tube and that can be reused on the stock intake? I just want to make sure that it doesn't require some of the stock parts to be modified in such a way that they can't be reused with the stock intake.
I pretty much have decided to take off the CAI anytime I take it to the dealer and both dealers that are near me have the same bad attitude. It doesn't matter that I don't tune. They can say something like it caused the engine to run lean and got damaged. I would have to fight them for warranty work if I had a CAI installed. So to avoid a fight they will never see a CAI on my car until after 36,000 miles.
But back to this Airaid, I see the dyno test of 17rwhp gain and 21 torque. So do you think those are pretty valid numbers without a tune and can you really feel a perfomance difference with this intake? Also they say correct A/F ratio is always maintained. Has this panned out for you also? It doesn't run lean or bring up any check engine codes?
Sorry for all the questions, but there appears to be only two CAI's that I know of that can produce decent hp and torque without a tune and this is one of them. Just curious.
Old 7/28/06, 11:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i am wondering if Brenspeed has any tunes for this system since they mainly sell JLT and C&L intakes...i would like this kit till i can afford the tuner
Old 7/29/06, 04:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I couldn't figure out from the directions (since I don't have one) what the deal is with the tube. So you're saying the Airaid just replaces the plastic with the rubber tube and that can be reused on the stock intake? I just want to make sure that it doesn't require some of the stock parts to be modified in such a way that they can't be reused with the stock intake.
I pretty much have decided to take off the CAI anytime I take it to the dealer and both dealers that are near me have the same bad attitude. It doesn't matter that I don't tune. They can say something like it caused the engine to run lean and got damaged. I would have to fight them for warranty work if I had a CAI installed. So to avoid a fight they will never see a CAI on my car until after 36,000 miles.
But back to this Airaid, I see the dyno test of 17rwhp gain and 21 torque. So do you think those are pretty valid numbers without a tune and can you really feel a perfomance difference with this intake? Also they say correct A/F ratio is always maintained. Has this panned out for you also? It doesn't run lean or bring up any check engine codes?
Sorry for all the questions, but there appears to be only two CAI's that I know of that can produce decent hp and torque without a tune and this is one of them. Just curious.
You could always buy a duplicate of the plastic hose you have to modify, and replace it when you put the stock parts back on for any warranty work. I can't imagine it being very expensive.
Old 7/29/06, 05:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i am wondering if Brenspeed has any tunes for this system since they mainly sell JLT and C&L intakes...i would like this kit till i can afford the tuner
Doing a little research on this it turns out that someone sent their Airaid to Bamachips so Doug has done tunes. I emailed him yesterday just to be sure. Probably if someone sent an Airaid to Brenspeed he'd do one too.
Also on another forum Bamachips stated he got better results with the Airaid by doing a tune but it did no good to remove the MVT and tune for that. He said he could get no more HP out of the system with the MVT removed so he recommended just did leaving it in. He said at some point these large diameter MAF's can only do so much and after that it would have to be forced.
Old 7/29/06, 05:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RandyB
You could always buy a duplicate of the plastic hose you have to modify, and replace it when you put the stock parts back on for any warranty work. I can't imagine it being very expensive.
Yeah...shouldn't be bad at all. I don't know...might dive in and get one of these today. The auto parts warehouse 'Trailblazers' is about an hour away from me and they stock this.

EDIT: Now that I see better pictures I see they are only replacing the plastic hose with a rubber one. (probably for the flexibility of positioning), so I could reuse this no problem with the stock intake.
Old 7/29/06, 07:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Bob, no worries. Glad I can be of some help. In regards to Airaid's claims on the power increase. Yes, I truely believe their claims. Just last evening, I was out in my car, and ever since I put this setup on my car, the power I have in 4th gear and 5 gear is amazing. 4th at 60 to 80 MPH is really impressive now. I love to cruise in 4th and then step on it, and pass everyone. The pull it has is great. Plus the low end punch is greater too. I can really chirp the tires going into 2 and a tiny bit into 3rd (if I try to that is).
About the A/F ratio? While I have never actually checked the ratio with a computer, the minute I was done the install (at 1:30 AM) I did a quick start up to see if the check engine light would come on. Nope. The next day I had it out, no problems. I've had it on for over 3,000 miles and no issues at all! Its a terrific product, and I recommend it to anyone. Plus it really looks great when my hood is up at shows. This CAI really displays well. Hope you like it when you get it.
Old 7/29/06, 03:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
.......Hope you like it when you get it.
Well I went ahead and did it. I was tired of thinking this over!
My first choice would have been Demolet Tunable Induction with SCT Xcal 2 purchased from Brenspeed with tunes. But I really do not want to flash my computer yet until I get more miles to make sure I have no engine issues...maybe even come out of warranty.
The other CAI I have been interested in was Granatelli but can't find anyone who has one to say anything about it. I too think the Airaid is nice and since it looks like I have the option of getting an SCT and tunes for Airaid from at least Bamachips as of now, then I think this CAI will be fine for down the road when I do a tune.

So here's my opinion on it since I already installed it and drove around for about 2 hours. There is a noticable perfomance gain but I was hoping I would feel it a little more...but still, it's definitely there. Throttle response is better too especially at lower rpm. I have an automatic and when floored (especially when it downshifts all the way to 1st) you can feel it a little more. It's also got some volume to it...but I guess they all do. It still won't chirp tires when shifting (from 1st to 2nd at WOT) so maybe I will need a tune for that.

I installed Flowmasters last week and they are fairly loud to me and now the CAI on top of that. So for about $600 so far what I've really got at this point is a little perfomance gain but a lot more engine volume! If I had to do it again I think I'd rather have more perfomance and less volume, but I do like the sound and I guess I'll get used to it. (You get the feeling you're waking everyone up as you drive down the street! Oh well, maybe they need waking up. I just don't want to wake up the cops.) If this starts bugging me I may put my stock exhaust back on. I bet the Airaid still sounds pretty good with them.

Now one thing I do question. Airaid web site says 17 rwhp gain and 21 torque gain. Has anyone looked close at the dyno chart on their web site? There is a discrepancy. The graph looks like stock torque sits around 242 and with Airaid at 263 for a gain of 21. Yet the numbers above say stock max torque = 253.7 and Airaid max torque = 263.5. If those numbers are correct then that's only a gain of 9.8. A gain of 9.8 is more believable to me. I don't see how you can get a gain of 21 ft lbs with just a CAI and no tune, but maybe I'm wrong.
I also understand why the Airaid throws no codes. The MVT is just really a tube which is the same diameter as the stock MAF. The stock MA sensor is calibrated to measure air volume in a certain diameter tube. Since the Airaid MVT is a tube of the same stock diameter then the MA sensor sees no difference. The Granatelli solution is to recalibrate the MA sensor electronics for a larger diameter tube and therefore they supply a new MA sensor with their unit.

Ok sorry...I've gone on long enough! To conclude I like the Airaid just fine. So further down the line I probably get an SCT and a tune for this CAI and that will complete the process.
Old 7/29/06, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Well I went ahead and did it.
A picture of it installed. My GT is '06 Black
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my Airaid CAI-airaid.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pics of my Airaid CAI