GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Performance Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/04, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,

I've had my fair share of fast cars and have had my fair share of fast performance upgrades on my cars. Usually if not always doing anything to your car performance wise voids any type of warranty that may have come with your car. My question is though, does anyone know what type of mods or performance upgrades you can get on the 05' Mustang without voiding your warranty? The reason I ask is since the 05' is the first year with the new reinvented body, there are probably going to be some problems down the road (as there are usually problems with first year models), and I dont want to void my warranty if such problems arise. Some food for thought, hopefully someone can help me and anyone else with the same type of question. Obviously exterior mods such as a spoiler change or hood change isnt going to void it.

-Alex :bang:
Old 11/18/04, 09:13 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
probably gonna be the same as on the SN95, whatever those are...
Old 11/20/04, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Look into the Magnusson-Moss warranty act if you're in the US. Basically the dealer has to prove that the mod could have caused the damage in order to void the warranty on that component. So if you put on a blower the dealer will be less likely to honor warranty claims on the engine and drive train, but the dealer is still responsible for other problems. Similarly the dealer would have an awfully hard time claiming a cat-back system caused major engine damage or that a cold air intake caused tranny problems. Keep that in mind when you are planning upgrades, it is probably the reason nobody has really given you an answer. There isn't a hard and fast rule as it depends on the mods on the vehicle and the warranty claim. Also, some dealers are going to be more mod friendly then others.

-Mike
Old 11/27/04, 04:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how could the problems on the S197 and the SN95 be similar, I think we'll be dealing with two entirely different beasts here... maybe some similarities, but I don't think we're going to be seeing the same issues.
Old 11/27/04, 06:38 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by GOFISCH@November 27, 2004, 8:57 PM
Please read the Magnusson-Moss Act. The statement about some dealers beind more friendly to mods than others is really true. Also, the act states that if the Mod IS responsible the dealer must deal with the manufacturer of the aftermarket part to get the situation resolved.
I'm going to e-mail ford eventually and ask why Ford Racing parts void the ford warranty? I wish they would stand behind their stuff. Why would ford build parts for their own car that they know will break it? :bang:

I'd pay more for Ford Racing stuff to keep the warranty.
Old 11/27/04, 10:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They don't void the warranty. It just what mcomb and GOFISCH said, read the act. And the manufacturer has to show the parts caused the problem, not just that they COULD have caused the problem. Not the dealer (basically, it boils down to the fact that it is the warranty provider that is responsible for voiding the warranty, not the dealer who is only a middle man).

We had a similar problem on equipment at work (Intel). Basically, the vendor said that if we used aftermarket remanufactured cups on the tool, it would void the warranty (and you would not BELIEVE the price of those cups from the manufacturer and they were a maintanance item!). Our legal team got into in and very quickly showed that that if they REQUIRE that their part be used for the warrenty to be in effect, then they had to provide the part free of charge. Or, they could let us use the second source vendor and then PROVE that those cups caused and subsequent failures.

Needless to say, they backed down VERY quickly when the facts were brought up. But I have about decided that every single dealer out there will try to snow ball you with the old "that ACCEL sticker voided the warranty!" line.
Old 11/28/04, 02:43 AM
V6 Member

actually you have to prove to ford that the parts you installed did not cause the damage.... try and explain that to a legal team as big as Fords
Old 11/28/04, 05:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, the Magnusson-Moss Act does put the burden of proof on Ford, but they, and every other manufacture can and will deny you warrenty repairs without actually proving your aftermarket part caused the problem. Your only recourse is to sue Ford. Do you have the money to enter into a long, expensive legal battle with Ford? And good luck if you think the DSB will side with you when you modified your car.

The Boss Hog
(Old Navy Rule #134; Might Makes Right.)
Old 11/28/04, 10:44 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Interesting. To me it seems foolish to mod with a lot of aftermarket parts because I want to keep my warranty.

My question isn't with other companies though, its that I believe FORD RACING should be an exception should it not?
Old 11/28/04, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan,

It's been a while since I read the act, but I do think that racing WILL void the warranty simply because the vehicle is not sold as a race vehicle and is not warrentied as a race vehicle.

Ford Racing is selling parts for both street and race. A LOT of stuff they sell as the "for off highway use only" tag on it. AKA: race. If you are putting parts that can only be used for racing on a car, then by definition, you are racing the car. So, I don't see that Ford Racing should have any kind of automatic exemption from there "suggestion" that using their parts will void the warranty.
Old 11/28/04, 11:51 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Thanks guys.
Old 12/8/04, 11:08 AM
GT Member

I'm thinking that if I have the Dealer install my Eiback springs, he will be easier to deal with on other warranty items.
Old 12/8/04, 11:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

I can see a supercharger being a major exception, but I'd be shocked if things like air intkes and new mufflers kept me from getting warranty work doen....These are Mustangs we're talking about here! I would think there would be some leeway given especially with a new vehicle in high demand.....they wouldn;t want word of mouth to spread through the forums that you can't even make small mods to your new pony w/o getting shafted by Ford....What would be the since in buying the car if you'd be stuck with just the hp from the factory?
Old 12/9/04, 06:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by swingle007@December 8, 2004, 12:28 PM
I can see a supercharger being a major exception, but I'd be shocked if things like air intkes and new mufflers kept me from getting warranty work doen....These are Mustangs we're talking about here! I would think there would be some leeway given especially with a new vehicle in high demand.....they wouldn;t want word of mouth to spread through the forums that you can't even make small mods to your new pony w/o getting shafted by Ford....What would be the since in buying the car if you'd be stuck with just the hp from the factory?
oh yeah...i think a super/turbo charger will deffinatly void the warranty. especially if you have engine problems. they can easly say the increase in HP is what did the damage. i think also talking to the service manager and perhaps the manager of the dealership would be a good idea. to see what their take on it is. i know some people are more leneant in working on cars with mods than others.