GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

PCV Breather Tube

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/07, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PCV Breather Tube

Anyone happen to know the part# / price of the PCV breather tube? (from the driver-side valve cover to the intake for 2006GT). Hoping they sell this breather with the OEM quick-connect fittings. I'm rigging up an oil separator and want to run it in-line between PCV valve and intake. Need a spare tube to splice in separator. Like to keep the OEM tube so I can swap back to stock for warranty visits. Thx.
Old 8/20/07, 09:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought one from the Ford dealership. With tax etc around $18.00.
I cut up the new one and kept the orginial for when it's time to take it in for smog. Mount the canister to the heat shield and that way it will come off all together. Sorry I don't remember the part number.
Attached Thumbnails PCV Breather Tube-stefs.jpg   PCV Breather Tube-stefs-1.jpg   PCV Breather Tube-stefs-2.jpg  
Old 8/20/07, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Rich... I'll call the local Ford dealer tomorrow. Did the breather tube you purchased have the stock quick-connect fittings included? I'd like to install separator in-line (to minimize the length of the vacuum); however, will need a smaller (thus lighter) separator bowl... and concerned about storage capacity (i.e., don't want to be emptying out bowl twice a week!). You install looks pretty clean. How often do you empty cannister?
Old 8/20/07, 09:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I cut up the new one and kept the orginial for when it's time to take it in for smog. Mount the canister to the heat shield and that way it will come off all together. Sorry I don't remember the part number.
Can you provide a parts list? I want to do this on my Vortech setup to prevent blowby.

Jason
Old 8/20/07, 10:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

just tell them you need the brather hose that goes on the driverside valve cover and then with a box cutter or just a razor blade and a carefull hand, cut the tube off of the connector and then use the connectors, they are the factory ones after all
Old 8/20/07, 10:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here's a parts list. I got the canister from Stef's and you will need to call them and order it.

I used JEGS brand fittings to save some cash over Earls. We used two 1/2" NPT to -10AN adapters, a straight -10AN to pushlock adapter and a 90 degree -10AN to pushlock adapter. You could use a 120 degree one and probably be better off (note: doesn't look like there is a Jegs one in black)

Fittings you will need are (this assumes the can has 1/2" NPT female ports!):

Two of 1/2 NPT to -10AN = $6 each at http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_129898_-1
-10AN to Push-Loc = $7 at http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_646596_-1
90 degree -10AN to Push-Loc = $15.50 at http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_646604_-1
5 ft of -10AN Push-Loc hose = $17 at http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_646512_-1

You'll also need two small hose clamps and some mounting bolts and lock nuts for mounting the can to the vehicle, used the CAI shield for this.
Old 8/21/07, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Called the local dealer... they quoted this part number: 4R3Z6A6643A, PRICE: $25.89, Rich: does that sound like the correct pn? (parts guy wasn't sure ) if so, seems like price gouging is in play....
Old 8/21/07, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
Called the local dealer... they quoted this part number: 4R3Z6A6643A, PRICE: $25.89, Rich: does that sound like the correct pn? (parts guy wasn't sure ) if so, seems like price gouging is in play....

Whoops.. sorry a typo. Part number ends with "BA"... not "3A".
Old 8/21/07, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hate to sound like an idiot, but what is the purpose for the oil seperator?
Old 8/21/07, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

well... i know it will help keep the TB cleaner.
Old 8/21/07, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have an insider at the Ford dealership here in town so I get my parts at an employee price. I would just go to the dealership and tell them what you want and then have them show you a picture of it on their computer. I don't remember the part number.

As a side note on these lines Chad had his colapse and you will need to order a spring that goes inside the tubing. Earl's 770410ERL inter support spring 4 ft long.
Old 8/21/07, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
Hate to sound like an idiot, but what is the purpose for the oil seperator?

If you read through this thread (and others focused on oil separators) it's quite surprising to see how much 'blow-by' (excess crankcase pressure) gets vented through the PCV system and into the S197 intake manifold. Based on the data I've seen, separators are collecting 1-2 teaspoons of oil per 100 miles... over time, this equates to 1/4 to 1/2 QT of oil per every 5000 miles (each oil change). Intake manifold is no place for oil. The Separator goes in-between the PCV valve (where crankcase gases exit) and the intake manifold (where it is drawn in). I pulled the following section off the web... points out that at conditions near full throttle... PCV valves basically lose their ability to 'filter', due to loss of vacuum... thus all the more reason to install a separator. Check this out:
The PCV valve is simple, but actually performs a complicated control function. An internal restrictor (generally a cone or ball) is held in "normal" (engine off, zero vacuum) position with a light spring, exposing the full size of the PCV opening to the intake manifold. With the engine running, the tapered end of the cone is drawn towards the opening in the PCV valve, restricting the opening proportionate to the level of engine vacuum vs. spring tension. At idle, the intake manifold vacuum is near maximum. It is at this time the least amount of blow by is actually occurring, so the PCV valve provides the largest amount of (but not complete) restriction. As engine load increases, vacuum on the valve decreases proportionally and blow by increases proportionally. Sensing a lower level of vacuum, the spring returns the cone to the "open" position to allow more air flow. At full throttle, there is nearly zero vacuum. At this point the PCV valve is nearly useless, and most combustion gases escape via the "breather tube" where they are then drawn in to the engine's intake manifold anyway
Old 8/28/07, 06:48 PM
V6 Member

I have a twin turbo car and am noticing a huge blow by issue. We really never knew that there was an issue until it started smoking at start up and then pull the air filter off and saw oil just sitting there. My question here is which side should i put the catch can / oil separator on. I see most of them are on the driver side vents, but could oil be coming from the passenger side vent too? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 8/28/07, 06:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

if it is in the intake then put it in both, if there is oil in the intake manifold or on the back of the TB then the driverside, but the drivers side for sure
Old 8/28/07, 07:05 PM
V6 Member

Ok so my system works like this. The air filter is located in the pass. side front bumper, it goes down and across the bottom of the radiator and through an air to water intercooler, up through the intercooler then through and inlet tube to my throttle body. When we pulled everything apart there was a little blow by in the inlet tube there was almost nothing behind the throttle body, so we put a check valve on the driver side vent and it seems like more oil is coming from the passenger side vent because its pooling right at the 90 angle exactly where my air filter is at and that where we routed the pass. side vent (right at that 90), so thats were we are putting a catch can at. I hope that made sence. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the info
Old 8/29/07, 06:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The funny thing is that the 2.3L DOHC "Duratec" used in the Focus ST, Mazda3/Mazda6 comes equipped with an oil separator from the factory. The neat part is that it bolts to the block so all of the collected oil gets transported directly back into the engine. I wonder why Ford didn't install these on the modular engines? There must be a reason.
Old 8/29/07, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
The funny thing is that the 2.3L DOHC "Duratec" used in the Focus ST, Mazda3/Mazda6 comes equipped with an oil separator from the factory. The neat part is that it bolts to the block so all of the collected oil gets transported directly back into the engine. I wonder why Ford didn't install these on the modular engines? There must be a reason.
I haven't seen one of these. Will it fit our cars?

Mike E
Old 8/30/07, 04:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
No it won't fit properly because it was custom designed for the engine block.
Old 8/30/07, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Someone write that up and send it to Ford for the next year-release fixes.
Old 8/31/07, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

My PCV oil seperator cost about $20.
That's for all parts.

I am sucking alot of oil, especially when spraying.