GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Overall aftermarket 2005 Mustang questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/04, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I have ordered my 2005 Mustang GT manual transmission, and have some general aftermarket questions for all you guys that know what you're talking about. Now 300 HP is great for the GT, especially since it's a nice jump from the previous 265, but I am going to want more power. Does anyone know who currently makes the best exhaust system and what power it makes? How about a cold-air intake manifold? What other products (besides supercharging, thats too much money for me) can one purchase to increase the horsepower of the 2005 Mustang besides an exhaust and intake? Thanks all....
Old 12/14/04, 09:14 PM

I think we are all trying to figure it out too, definately have to get a computer flash tune though
Old 12/15/04, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

-Headers
-Exhaust
-Pullies
-Cold Air intake
-X-pipe
-Computer tuning

All ways to add power without a super charger.
Old 12/15/04, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

and weight reduction and gears will make you faster without adding power!!!!
Old 12/15/04, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

It's the same old saw as with the previous Mustangs:

* Tune
* Exhaust
* Gears
* Pullies
* Weight Reduction
* Intake (maybe...didn't do much for the 99-04s)

If you want more than that gives you, Nitrous, forced induction, or tearing into the motor (P&P heads, cams, etc) start to be the way to go.
Old 12/15/04, 09:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Computer tuning is always a nice one, but you will end up probably requiring premium gas when all said and done, so there is a significant cost involved with that over the long haul.
Old 12/15/04, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

You need to research this forum for a good few hours... There is a lot of information and everyone has their own personal opinion.

SURF SURF SURF and come to your own conclusion buddy. I think I have at least 40 hours invested in this website just reading the forum stuff.

Good luck!
Old 12/15/04, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

just stay tuned in the S197 GT Tech & Performance, and all of your answers will soon be answered. alot of the mods I want to do have been done by a few members, (2005RedGT has a greats site with all the mods and info on his car, search his threads) Since I dont have delivery on my GT yet Im just sitting back and reading all about everyone elses mod pros and Cons. In a few more months many products will be redily availible and someone here at TMS will have had it installed and tested and reviewed for our reading pleasure.

Personally I am saving up for a Twin Screw Supercharger. a bit pricey, but when you add up all of the OTHER mods (exhaust, CAI, Pulleys, Gearing, Wheels and Tires) you may do for just a handfull of HP, you have to decide what you really want from the car.

my goal is to beat my friends suped up Infinity G35 off the line and down the road, which shouldn't be a problem once im done with my black Beauty.
Old 12/15/04, 08:10 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for everyone's replies... those ideas sound good... the only apprehension I'd have is about computer chip/tuning... here's why... I currently own a 2001 Dodge Durango and I had (among other things) a chip. Well after two years, my transmission was completely blown and I had to shell out $3700 for a new one because Dodge found out about the chip and revoked my warranty. But other than that, it looks like exhaust, intake, headers, and weight reduction are great ways to increase the '05 Mustangs power and to stay under $1000.
Old 12/15/04, 08:32 PM

I am with dozerzpony, some reading of the posts will be very informative, my take after reading what I can is that the exhaust sounds good, but does not add much power, Cold air intake adds a few HP, other intake options, MAF, TB Intake manifold appear to be in the works but not redily available yet. If you believe the computer guys they say not much will be had from the above mentioned upgrades, The guy at SCT i have been e-mailing even appers to indicate that the flash up grade available is only good for 30 +/- HP, further stating that that is still in excess of the typical mods, he also notes that the typical mods dont stack, who knows .

Personally I am doing the flash, exhaust, and probably the cold air intake . But this is just a base plan untill KB has their supercharger out . The info from past years clearly indicates that the money on the supercharger cant be beat. Additionally from the quotes I have got it would be extremely difficult, (right now), to perform the typical bolt on mods in combination for less then a grand. If I was in your shoes I would scrap the bolt on stuff and save as much as possible towards a supercharger :scratch:
Old 12/15/04, 08:42 PM
V6 Member

What is "flash"? What type of modification is it? As far as a supercharger, doesn't it really shorten the life of the car and make it possible that you'll have to buy a new engine/tranny because of excessive abuse?
Old 12/15/04, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Flash is when you change the program on the Car's "Chip"
Instead of replacing the computer chip in the car, you plug in a Computer and "Flash" the existing software configuration with a new one. no more pulling out the hardware, instead you are altering it, (e.g. upgrading the drivers on your video card in your computer, or upgrading the firmware ogf your motherboard.)
Old 12/16/04, 01:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by geoffpelosi@December 15, 2004, 9:45 PM
What is "flash"? What type of modification is it? As far as a supercharger, doesn't it really shorten the life of the car and make it possible that you'll have to buy a new engine/tranny because of excessive abuse?
the superecharger will put more stess on all the parts of the car but if you dont drive with it flored everywhere you go it wont do much to the life of the motor. On the other hand I would not trust the auto with the added power, the tremec should be no problem i have a 91 with a 347ci making 450hp and it uses a tremec 3550 with no tranny problems... and i do drive with it on the floor all the time
Old 12/21/04, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

...and for those of you wondering if Xcalibrator is only good for three flashes.... NO My rep can send me an unlimited amount of OBD programs over the internet free of charge and all I have to do is connect the X to my PC and transfer it to my car. UNLIMITED FOR LIFE!!!! there is no better OBD programmer out there. Not that it matters to me but this thing programs every single Ford vehicle in existence..... My final answer....

GOODBYE diablo, hypertech, and all the others!!!!!!!!!!

This peice of equipment cannot be outdated EVER!!!
Old 12/21/04, 05:57 PM

I have done...

bassani axle back
bassani x-pipe
steeda pulleys
steeda intake
steeda charge motion plates
diablo computer

I will have dyno number in January.
Old 12/21/04, 06:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would start with a C$L cold air intake. Then Long tube headers if you can get around having no cats. Then Xpipe and mufflers. Underdrive pullies and a Flash last.
Old 12/21/04, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TKEUofM@December 15, 2004, 8:39 AM
-Headers
-Exhaust
-Pullies
-Cold Air intake
-X-pipe
-Computer tuning

All ways to add power without a super charger.
What he said.
Old 12/21/04, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

People are getting 5-10hp from exhausts. In fact, the only claims I've seen backed up with a dyno are 5hp for a complete cat-back Magnaflow.

So, you can spend $400-700 for 5-10hp.

Xcalibrator will buy you 12hp on 87 Octane regular, but it's $350 or so plus dyno time from the shop (potentially less if they have never had an 05 Mustang, ask them if you can get a discount on the SCT through them and free runs, they may do it).

Removing the HC trap is FREE, worth 7hp. I wish I could add up 10 more like that (grin).

Pullies are good, but the tradeoffs for having a smaller harmonic damper are well known (possibly more vibration, although you may not feel it, and extra stress on internals due to the vibrations)
Old 12/21/04, 06:44 PM

Twin Screw Supercharger Got to have it B) skip the other bolt on stuff :nono:
Old 12/21/04, 07:10 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by bishop@December 21, 2004, 7:00 PM
I have done...

bassani axle back
bassani x-pipe
steeda pulleys
steeda intake
steeda charge motion plates
diablo computer

I will have dyno number in January.
Diablo? They haven't released anything ofr the '05's yet, have they?

Quick Reply: Overall aftermarket 2005 Mustang questions