GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/08, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Separator

Anybody installed an oil separator on there stang. If so what brand did you use. Is it necessary with FI.
Old 3/6/08, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are plenty of threads on this, remember that the search button is your friend!

Check out posts 19 and 20 on this spydershaft thread for info for parts lists for a stef's air/oil separator install.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=456242

Use Earl's perform-o-flex braided hose if you not going with the pushlock style rubber hose. The rest is just picking out the right NPT/AN/PUSHLOCK fittings. I would recommend it for a FI setup based on others experiences. After what I saw I put one on my NA setup.
Old 3/7/08, 05:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Oil separators are equipped on certain OEM vehicles. On the Mazda3 and other Fords with the 2.3L DOHC I4, I believe there is an oil separator attached to the block that recirculates the trapped oil. This is done, IIRC, to reduce emissions output by preventing the oil from being burned. ULEV vehicles will have similar devices to prevent the unnecessary release of hydrocarbons.
Old 3/7/08, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Oil separators are equipped on certain OEM vehicles. On the Mazda3 and other Fords with the 2.3L DOHC I4, I believe there is an oil separator attached to the block that recirculates the trapped oil. This is done, IIRC, to reduce emissions output by preventing the oil from being burned. ULEV vehicles will have similar devices to prevent the unnecessary release of hydrocarbons.
And more importantly not letting oil recirculate back into the engine and gunk up the intake.

I think Steeda makes one too.
Old 3/7/08, 06:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
And more importantly not letting oil recirculate back into the engine and gunk up the intake.

I think Steeda makes one too.
That is not the OEM's intent with using an oil separator, at least not on the naturally aspirated vehicles. Intakes on new engines have been gunked up by oil for well over 25 years and have not failed to perform. It's the tighter emissions regulations that have pushed OEMs to install oil separators on certain engines to prevent burning oil from crankcase blowby. IIRC, the Ford factory forced induction engines were never equipped with separators, whereas some VWs actually did get oil separators (nice designs with zytel housings).
Old 3/7/08, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You be the judge. You can see the little puddle of oil (about 4-5 tablespoons)at the back of my Whipple intake after only 900 miles(before I put my separator on). I used on from Jegs about $45.
Old 3/7/08, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cdvision
You be the judge. You can see the little puddle of oil (about 4-5 tablespoons)at the back of my Whipple intake after only 900 miles(before I put my separator on). I used on from Jegs about $45.
The judge of what? We all know that an oil separator is something you want to install with a forced induction application to prevent gunking the intercooler. This is important because oil on the intercooler fins reduces the heat transferring efficiency of the intercooler by acting as an insulator. I have no idea why Ford doesn't include them on all of their forced induction applications at the factory or why no one sells a bolt-on "kit" for Mustangs. Stefs + the "right fittings" does not cut it. I want something that bolts on without any fussing or adjusting.

For a naturally aspirated application, there is oil coating the insides of the intake manifold from the get-go and I have yet to hear of any serious problems from this (the only exception is if you somehow took delivery of your Mustang without anyone ever starting the engine at the factory or if you built a completely new motor). In fact, the oil in the air intake stream would contribute to some upper cylinder lubrication. Oil has been gunking inside the intakes of various engines for the past 25+ years without any problems. Eliminating this oil has its benefits but I fail to see why it is absolutely mandatory on a naturally aspirated engine unless you are trying your best to reduce emissions and to squeeze every ounce of power for the track.

Again, some OEMs do equip them on ULEV engines and forced induction engines at the factory. I checked the price and VW's unit costs over $200 new and was a very good design, similar to the Ford 2.3L DOHC I4's oil separator. It is not a cheesy air compressor inline filter or an aluminum "soda can".

Last edited by metroplex; 3/7/08 at 09:37 AM.
Old 3/7/08, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is not the OEM's intent with using an oil separator, at least not on the naturally aspirated vehicles. Intakes on new engines have been gunked up by oil for well over 25 years and have not failed to perform. It's the tighter emissions regulations that have pushed OEMs to install oil separators on certain engines to prevent burning oil from crankcase blowby. IIRC, the Ford factory forced induction engines were never equipped with separators, whereas some VWs actually did get oil separators (nice designs with zytel housings).
Did not know that...interesting.
Old 3/7/08, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The judge of what?
You need to go back and read the very first thread before making a comment like that about my post.=
"Anybody installed an oil separator on there stang. If so what brand did you use. Is it necessary with FI."

Last edited by Cdvision; 3/7/08 at 02:26 PM.
Old 3/7/08, 04:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Cdvision
Can you PM me the part numbers you used to make one ?? and what type of hoses are you using ??

I am looking to go with the Whipple HO soon and want to have ancillary parts like this at the ready when I get my car back from the installer.

Thanks !!
Old 3/9/08, 07:39 AM
V6 Member

I'm thinking about a couple of these for the stangs..
Norris Motorsports PCV Catch Can
Old 3/9/08, 05:19 PM

I just ordered the Moroso unit form Summit racing, I was looking at my set-up and noticed there's a pcv valve in the line between the cam cover and the intake manifold. Do I leave it there when installing the separator, I thought the pcv valve was in the cam cover. I have a Paxton s/c Novi 2200 ho, installed by Brenspeed.
Old 3/9/08, 07:03 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's my Stef set-up

Oil Separator-03-01-08-020.jpg
Old 3/9/08, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been real happy with my setup... went with the Moroso can & bracket, Earl's #1 steel-braided hose (high pressure/ high vacuum rated) and fittings.

http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/
Attached Thumbnails Oil Separator-100km029-pict0100_pict0100.jpg   Oil Separator-100km029-pict0101_pict0101.jpg   Oil Separator-docq-separator2.jpg  
Old 3/9/08, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Happy Stef's user here, as well...

Gotta polish it up some to match the other goodies, but that's easy enough...