GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/06, 10:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I'm pretty picky (ask Bill!)... I have to torque everything. Makes me feel better it's tightened to specs.

I guess the people that come into your shop think tighter is better, when it's the gasket that seals, not how tight the bolt is.
I can attest to that. If Tom performed any mod that had a torque value, you can bet it's torqued to specs.

There's different ways to tighten bolts and nuts. Some prefer a socket and others a wrench. Use whatever you feel comfortable with (and some have no choice) and be careful not to overtorque the fastener with any tool.
Old 10/28/06, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
You GTers are lucky, the oil filter on the V6 isn`t so easy to get at!
Old 10/29/06, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shatter
Assuming you don't have a chin spoiler on the car, how likely is it that you can slide underneath to get to the filter and oil pan without raising the front of the car?
I have a set of 2X12's that are nailed together in a "step" fashion. I had these laying around because I would have to drive the Vette up on the 2X12's first in order to raise the car enough to get the hydraulic jack under it.

When I drove the Stang up on the 2X12's, it gave me just enough room to get under the car to slide the catch pan under the oil pan and to get the filter off.
Old 10/29/06, 02:58 PM

I changed mine yesterday and yes that filter is a mother to get off, managed to do so with just a filter wrench though. I also found I had to tighten the new filter much tighter than I'm used to stop leaks, yes I did oil the gasket. Another trick is to take a chisel or screwdriver, a hammer and punch a small hole in the bottom of the filter prior to removing it, this will allow the filter to drain. You don't have to hit it hard, just a light rap with a chisel and it will punch a nice little hole. Beats having oil running all overyour hands.
Old 10/29/06, 03:29 PM
GT Member

For those of you doing alot of your own oil changes, there is a tool that looks like a pair of pliers with with large curved jaws. available at most better auto parts stores. Makes it a snap to remove the old filter. The auto compnaies put those things on with a pneumatic tools, that makes em tough to get off the first time.

If you have a leak, you could have a double seal, especially if you had a hard time getting the old filter off. When you take the old filter off, always make sure the old seal comes off with it. If it sticks in place, its almost impossible to get a good seal.
Old 10/29/06, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wjones14

I also have the rhino ramps, but cannot drive up on them without them sliding forward. I have a regular concrete garage floor that's smooth. After a couple tries with the ramps, I went back to using my floor jack and a pair of jack stands. I'd rather use the ramps if I could get them to stay put, however.
+1
Old 10/29/06, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I also have the rhino ramps, but cannot drive up on them without them sliding forward... I'd rather use the ramps if I could get them to stay put, however.
Originally Posted by flashfearless
+1
Lay a roof shingle (shingle side against the floor) upsidedown and place your Rhino ramp on top. It does a pretty good job at preventing the ramps from sliding when trying to run up on it.
Old 10/29/06, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Lay a roof shingle (shingle side against the floor) ....
Cool. Something else that I can rip off of my neighbor's house...all in good fun...
Old 10/29/06, 08:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flashfearless
Cool. Something else that I can rip off of my neighbor's house...all in good fun...
Old 10/30/06, 06:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Excellent write-up and pictures. The underside of your ride sure is clean!

To get the filter off, I use a filter wrench that attaches to a 3/8" drive socket. Use a 3" extension on your ratchet, hook up the filter wrench, and it will get those filters off easily.

I personally use disposable latex gloves, like doctors and dentists wear. Obviously not necessary, and possibly considered wimpy by many, but it makes cleanup a lot easier and the gloves are cheap, so why not?

I also have the rhino ramps, but cannot drive up on them without them sliding forward. I have a regular concrete garage floor that's smooth. After a couple tries with the ramps, I went back to using my floor jack and a pair of jack stands. I'd rather use the ramps if I could get them to stay put, however.
I use the rhino ramps and had the same problem. I got two 2'x4' sheets of plywood and attached a 2' piece of 2x4 at one end. I then placed the ramps flush with the 2x4 and attached another piece of plywood at the other end so the ramps is cradled between the two pieces and can slide side to side. I then pull the car onto the plywood at the one end , this will hold the plywood in place. You can then slide the ramp to either side so it's right in front of the wheel and pull onto the ramp without it sliding ...
Old 10/30/06, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Good write up. Another thing to check is to make sure the gasket from the old filter didn't separate and stay adhered to the block. If that happens you will have a gusher when you start the engine. I have access to a lift and I use the aforementioned aluminum foil to create a runner for the oil when removing the filter - only way to stop the excess oil from running all over the place.
Old 10/30/06, 07:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The M1 oil filter is overkill. The FL-820-S has a silicone anti-drain back valve (just like the M1) and is only $3 and change at Wal-Mart. The filter media won't have enough time to ever clog up.
Old 10/30/06, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

To add a couple of my own "personal" techniques:
1. Taking off the "Oil Fill" cap and loosening the dip stick before you start to drain the oil will allow for the outgoing oil to drain more effectively (and quicker).
2. I always make sure to dip my finger in the new oil and run it over the threads and really well over the ruber gasket on the new filter. It will help the seal. If you are pre-filling this shouldn't be a problem.
3. Remember that the new filter only needs to be hand tight. Don't get a wrench and crank down on it, it only makes it harder next time!

Just my $.02
Old 10/30/06, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for your hard work, Bill. This write up is certainly handy and well done. I am going to start doing my own oil changes now.
Old 10/30/06, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

I personally think synthetic is a waste of money. I also use motorcraft filters on my Fords. And for oil, Castrol, Mobil seem to work just fine.

But, good write up none the less. As hard as it is to believe, some people just don't know how to do this simple task.
Old 10/30/06, 09:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Synthetic oils are not a waste of money (it's what Ford uses for your differential from the factory) but the synthetic-media oil filters are a waste of money.

I'd personally go with full synthetic for everything:
engine oil
power steering
transmission
differential
greases
Old 10/30/06, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dropped my plug into the pan of drained oil (the mesh screen flopped off when i tried to grab the plug)...

lets say the oil was super F'n hot and I practically burned my hand fishing the plug out of the oil...

i will never do that again...

** key note for first timers and us absent minded old timers.... dont drop the plug in the oil or if you do, have a strainer or claw handy **
Old 10/30/06, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
But, good write up none the less. As hard as it is to believe, some people just don't know how to do this simple task.

You'd be surprised out there how many people thinks it's hard to do.... or just don't know how.

<-- goto guy at my apartment complex for car repair...
Old 11/24/06, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed my oil today at 570 miles to get rid of all the crud from engine break-in. I found out that the ramps are too darn slippery so I had to use a floor jack and jack up the driver's side just a little bit and then I could easily get under the car.

I will agree that the factory filter is on way too tight. I can't see where this helps except I guess they can guarantee 100% no leaky at the filter?!? Anyways, the "jaws of life" almost destroyed my filter and I had to switch to one of those three prong filter removers from Sears. The kind that bite in harder as you turn them with a socket wrench. Anyways, I had no problems spinning the filter off with that; just an FYI for those that have problems using the jaw style (which is my personal favorite to use).
Old 11/24/06, 10:28 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have carpet in my garage and my rhino ramps don't move at all. You guy's should try and find a piece of old carpet to put under the ramps.

Quick Reply: Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...