GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Oil Analysis Report

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/07, 10:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Analysis Report

I had my oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs, here is the report.

Not sure why it is showing high iron and copper wear metals...I don't drive it hard (well, harder than normal anyway) and my daily drive consists of 25 miles each way on the interstate, 5 miles off interstate/in town/neighborhood. I only get on it about 3 times a week, which I don't think would make it wear abnormally. Maybe these engines just have normally high iron and copper wear?? With 39,000 miles on it I would think it is well past break in wear. Anyone else have reports to share?
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Doc1.doc (85.5 KB, 353 views)
Old 3/27/07, 11:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that chart sure looks screwy to me. Maybe a retest, because your oil had all sorts of garbage in it. What type of oil filters are you using? You might want to switch and see if its the filter you are using, just a guess, your engine is still new and you don't have hardcore mods, and claim you don't drive hard, and even if you did this is still a little premature
Old 3/27/07, 11:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, everything is normal except the iron and copper levels. That is what confuses me. The rest of the stuff is all additives in the oil and not wear metals. I'm just wondering why a 1 year old engine that has been well maintained is wearing so high on the iron and copper...and if that is normal for this engine.

Oh yeah, Amsoil full Synthetic filter as well, good filter. The filter won't do anything about the wear metals anyway, they are all too fine for the filter to catch.
Old 3/28/07, 05:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I had my oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs, here is the report.

Not sure why it is showing high iron and copper wear metals...I don't drive it hard (well, harder than normal anyway) and my daily drive consists of 25 miles each way on the interstate, 5 miles off interstate/in town/neighborhood. I only get on it about 3 times a week, which I don't think would make it wear abnormally. Maybe these engines just have normally high iron and copper wear?? With 39,000 miles on it I would think it is well past break in wear. Anyone else have reports to share?
Man, this is some interesting information. Thanks

I use 5w-20w Mobile One in my car. (20K miles)

I wonder if there is a way to lessen the wear.

You know like adding a can of that Lucus stuff (cant remember the exact name) to the engine oil.

It sure would be interesting to know exactly what oil and additives, if any, and oil filters the Nascar car guys use?
Old 3/28/07, 05:48 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
You can find other used oil analysis reports here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...t=0&Board=UBB3

For more in-depth discussion on engine oil, go here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...t=0&Board=UBB1

I'm not exactly sure why your engine is showing higher iron and copper levels either, but we're talking PPM anyhow. The viscosity looks good, but the TBN seems a tad low for only 5k miles. Did they give you a recommendation as to how much longer you could have extended your oil change interval?

The owner's manual recommendation is for 5k miles / 6 months in "normal" operating conditions using the Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic. Mobil 1 5W-20 or 0W-20 ought to handle that and then some. Most UOAs for Mobil 1 show that they can go as high as 7k-9k miles in easier operating environments (all highway, etc...)
Old 3/28/07, 07:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steve, give us some info on how to get our oil to them to check, how much did it cost? how did you ship it? How long did it take? etc.....
Old 3/28/07, 07:17 AM
GTR Member

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_engines.html
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

These links will answer your questions.
Old 3/28/07, 07:18 AM
GTR Member

Here's a breakdown of the different components in the report:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gasol...port_expl.html
Old 3/28/07, 07:59 AM
Cobra Member

This is perplexing. The oil itself looks great, but those high levels are disturbing. I'd try again before your next change and see where it falls. Maybe there was some sort of anomoly.
Old 3/28/07, 08:02 AM
GTR Member

It might have something to do with the insanely high RPMs during a cold start on the S197 GT. It probably is done to heat the 2 cats as fast as possible (most modern Fords have at least 4 cats for a V-engine with the 99-04 GTs having as many as 6 cats).
Old 3/28/07, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

A 1 year old engine, 50 miles/day round trip and 39,000 miles?
Old 3/28/07, 11:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had it analyzed once before by a different company about 6 months ago. I lost the report when I moved into a new house, but I do remember the iron was high in that report as well. I don't remember the copper, but it might have been high too, I just don't remember. This is why I don't think it is a testing anomaly, but I still don't know what to make of it.
Old 3/28/07, 11:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Maybe it was like the scienfield episode where the yogurt got into the blood smaple forcing false reports. Maybe just a bad test. If it wasnt too expensive maybe you should have it retested.
Old 3/29/07, 07:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Only $22.50 for the standard report, +$10 if you want the TBN tested. I'm just going to change it in the next day or two and retest in another 5000 miles I think. I'm not going to worry much more about it, if it wants to self destruct at 100K miles, oh well I guess I'll worry about it then. Until then, it is running perfect and no issues.
Old 3/29/07, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Only $22.50 for the standard report, +$10 if you want the TBN tested. I'm just going to change it in the next day or two and retest in another 5000 miles I think. I'm not going to worry much more about it, if it wants to self destruct at 100K miles, oh well I guess I'll worry about it then. Until then, it is running perfect and no issues.
Worst case it's a valid excuse to build a monster motor!
Old 3/29/07, 04:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

That would be fun! That's just what I need for my commute! Well, maybe if I got a different daily driver anyway....
Old 3/30/07, 12:48 PM

Try a 5W-30 and see if it changes things.
Old 3/30/07, 04:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

That is an interesting idea, since it is getting warmer out. I'll think about it, I'm going to change it in the next few days I think.
Old 3/31/07, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GT John
You know like adding a can of that Lucus stuff (cant remember the exact name) to the engine oil.
I think you're referring to Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

p.s. As of this weekend, I have switched to Lucas Oil synthetic oil. And the beauty of it... it's all free. Lucas Oil is a sponsor of the Stangpede Race Team, so anyone on the team basically can get all the Lucas Oil products we need or want... and not just oil. I have enough oil in my garage now to last a long, long time. Many, many thanks to Lucas Oil for supporting our Race Team!

If you're in the San Diego or SoCal area, and want to join the Stangpede Race Team, drop me a PM. There's more than free Lucas Oil products for you. We have a more than a dozen other sponsors, too (and more on the way).
Old 3/31/07, 04:29 PM
GTR Member

Try out the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube. It's a pretty decent fuel treatment that supposedly boosts gas mileage. I'm almost done with a 32 oz bottle in my 00 Vic and I have not noticed any negative side-effects.

Quick Reply: Oil Analysis Report