GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AND PICS OF NEW DESIGN MGW SHIFTER FOR 2005-2009 MUSTANG GT>>

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/10, 05:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Im looking at this thread too. I have the original MGW and am happy with it. Its already installed so why would an easy installation be beneficial to me? If the new one is cheaper.. its for a reason guys.. I think MGW made this new one to be more competitive with other shifters, cost wise.. Ill bet (if George admits it) that the 1st gen shifter is as good if not better then this one

Be honest with us George, we trusted in your and paid more for your original shifter..
Old 3/3/10, 06:17 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07S197
+1

Here is my main question. The way the current MGW is set up with the heavy centering springs, (one of the reasons that I bought the MGW) I sometimes have a tough time going into first & or second. I have to pull hard to the left and push/pull with some force for it to slide in, especially when the tranny is cold. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the design of the rear mount and if the new shifter is more refined in that area resolving some of this issue. I do understand how difficult it must be to get a shifter to work when it is both mounted to the body of the car and the tranny, a lot of movement going on there under high torque situations. But if that is the case & it is more refined there allowing for easier shifting then I might be interested in the investment.

I hate missing second
07S197

You hit the nail on the head. I have felt the same way as you do. Always an effort to find first gear. If you get to lazy and don't pull to the left hard enough you find yourself in third grear. With all the side to side slop inherent to this shifter (not an MGW design problem)I find that I am always searching for first.I have played with all the adjustments ,moved the shift block angle a little to the left a little to the right I have raised the shift arm and shift block up/down and no matter what I do, it just does not go easily into first. Ity seems like the shifter wants to hit the left side of the console.
I have my shifter set to six turns out and raised the arm up to max position and has helped some but still doesn't feel right.
Now going from second to third, that's a different story,blind one armed paper hanger can make this one with no problems.Just push forward from second and it is in third no effort at all. All in all i am happy with the shifter witht he exceptions of this going into first gear issue.
Old 3/3/10, 07:53 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by topbliss
Im looking at this thread too. I have the original MGW and am happy with it. Its already installed so why would an easy installation be beneficial to me? If the new one is cheaper.. its for a reason guys.. I think MGW made this new one to be more competitive with other shifters, cost wise.. Ill bet (if George admits it) that the 1st gen shifter is as good if not better then this one

Be honest with us George, we trusted in your and paid more for your original shifter..

saying you trusted in me and paid more for the original confuses me as if i deliberately sabotaged you guys lol...

the original shifter is AWESOME i dont think there is any need to upgrade to this from ours.. BUT cost had nothing to do with this... we have had ZERO problem selling our original design for 295.00 due to all the features it has. but progress is progress. i actually applied technology i came up with when designing the 2010 camaro shifter to this new deisng because frankly it just works a little better in alowing the tranny and shifter to move a bit more freely.

also i wanted to eliminate that 2 piece design on the older shifter because we did have some people not tighten the bolts secruely and they came loose. eliminating any cusotmer hassles or risks of things going wrong is ALWAYS a plus.

frankly i didnt think the new design would be cheaper. but i NEVER let pricing dictate design ...i made the shifter the right way then just added the costs up and see where the chips fall. in this instance it came out a bit cheaper.

you guys really dont expect me to just never strive to improve my products now do ya.

regards
george
Old 3/3/10, 07:58 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zoomerman46
07S197

You hit the nail on the head. I have felt the same way as you do. Always an effort to find first gear. If you get to lazy and don't pull to the left hard enough you find yourself in third grear. With all the side to side slop inherent to this shifter (not an MGW design problem)I find that I am always searching for first.I have played with all the adjustments ,moved the shift block angle a little to the left a little to the right I have raised the shift arm and shift block up/down and no matter what I do, it just does not go easily into first. Ity seems like the shifter wants to hit the left side of the console.
I have my shifter set to six turns out and raised the arm up to max position and has helped some but still doesn't feel right.
Now going from second to third, that's a different story,blind one armed paper hanger can make this one with no problems.Just push forward from second and it is in third no effort at all. All in all i am happy with the shifter witht he exceptions of this going into first gear issue.

i understand what you guys are saying but you are 100 percent right... the issue is with the play in the linkage arm which CANNOT be fixed with a shifter....our shifter uses the springs because the 2-3 shift is most critical!!! you just have to change your habit when shifting to 2nd to pull sligfhtly towards you. i have many many many miles on mustang ranging from 2005 to my 2008 current GT and have NEVER missed second with these shifters.

i wish there is something more that can be done but one hting that does help that i am releasing soon is a new handle ball combo for the shifter. it is fixed and not height adustaBLE BUT IT OFFSET ONLY SLIGHTLY SO CLOSER TO THE CENTERLINE OF THE SHIFTER.

it makes shifting a bit more positive...

ill post some pics here shortly.

george

AND YES WE ARE WORKING ON A SHIFTER FOR THE GT500 FINALLY!!!!!!

STAY TUNED
Old 3/3/10, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
no of course not George. I was just asking if us older shifter owners need to upgrade? Is it much better?

I think you misunderstood(or I did not make clear enough) about us 'trusting' you and sabotaging us. I know that's not the case. sorry I came across wrong..
Old 3/3/10, 08:19 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by topbliss
no of course not George. I was just asking if us older shifter owners need to upgrade? Is it much better?

I think you misunderstood(or I did not make clear enough) about us 'trusting' you and sabotaging us. I know that's not the case. sorry I came across wrong..

i know your post was a bit tongue in cheek so was mine....

it has some improvements yes...it is lighter...and i like using the stock boot but frankly i dont see the need to upgrade... unless yours is QUITE old...as the rubber stuff just like on the car itself can wear out over time...any shifter pushing 4-5 years of usage especially in the north probably should be tkaing out and looked over for rubber wearing losse bolts etc. its jsut proper prudence.

george
Old 3/3/10, 12:47 PM
GT Member

i was going to buy the hurst billet shifter. but now i think i might get this one. one reason i was going to get the hurst is because i like the old school look with the white shifter ball. is there going to be a white shifter ball option for this new MGW shifter?
Old 3/3/10, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MGW

AND YES WE ARE WORKING ON A SHIFTER FOR THE GT500 FINALLY!!!!!!

STAY TUNED

Will this one fit on the 2011 GT 500? Please say yes. I have the MGW in my 2006 GT for a few years now and doubt the stock shebly will be as good as what you'd make...
Old 3/3/10, 02:24 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
Will this one fit on the 2011 GT 500? Please say yes. I have the MGW in my 2006 GT for a few years now and doubt the stock shebly will be as good as what you'd make...

it might but even if it doesnt i have full intentions of making a shifter for it also as well as the 2011 gt 6 speed.

george
Old 3/3/10, 02:30 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Green96GT
i was going to buy the hurst billet shifter. but now i think i might get this one. one reason i was going to get the hurst is because i like the old school look with the white shifter ball. is there going to be a white shifter ball option for this new MGW shifter?

yes we actually have quite a few options out there ill post some pics up soon

george
Old 3/3/10, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Green96GT
I'm not sure if this new design is the same but with the old one you could get a handle with either the new s197 threading or the old style threading. I got both and use the old style threading with the white ball from a hurst comp plus (POS) shifter.
Old 3/3/10, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MGW
saying you trusted in me and paid more for the original confuses me as if i deliberately sabotaged you guys lol...

the original shifter is AWESOME i dont think there is any need to upgrade to this from ours.. BUT cost had nothing to do with this... we have had ZERO problem selling our original design for 295.00 due to all the features it has. but progress is progress. i actually applied technology i came up with when designing the 2010 camaro shifter to this new deisng because frankly it just works a little better in alowing the tranny and shifter to move a bit more freely.

also i wanted to eliminate that 2 piece design on the older shifter because we did have some people not tighten the bolts secruely and they came loose. eliminating any cusotmer hassles or risks of things going wrong is ALWAYS a plus.

frankly i didnt think the new design would be cheaper. but i NEVER let pricing dictate design ...i made the shifter the right way then just added the costs up and see where the chips fall. in this instance it came out a bit cheaper.

you guys really dont expect me to just never strive to improve my products now do ya.

regards
george
I wish more companies would be so diligent in putting quality first. I always have and always will be willing to pay more for a better made product.
Old 3/3/10, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

George, I don't blame you one bit for improving your products. Even though the new design looks great, my original MGW shifter really doesn't need an upgrade...it shifts just fine and will stay right where it's at. Keep at it, you have the best stuff out there.
Old 3/3/10, 05:46 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats what I like to hear.. nice MGW! Cause if it were me I would have made the new shifter the same price or more expensive
Old 3/4/10, 07:45 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Thats what I like to hear.. nice MGW! Cause if it were me I would have made the new shifter the same price or more expensive

noowwwwwww you tell me!!!! crap...

well the shifter is 250.00 but shipping is now 69.99!!! lol

george
Old 3/4/10, 07:54 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MGW
well the shifter is 250.00 but shipping is now 69.99!!!
NEWMAN!!!!
Old 3/5/10, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can you comment on how much easier the installation is? One of the reasons I've held off on this mod is it seemed like a decent amount of work to install (especially compared to the SN95 shifter install)
Old 3/5/10, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Looking forward to seeing some of the new handle and **** options, as that might be enough to make me upgrade my Pro 5.0 (with a Hurst stick/****) to one of these
Old 3/5/10, 01:01 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doogie
Looking forward to seeing some of the new handle and **** options, as that might be enough to make me upgrade my Pro 5.0 (with a Hurst stick/****) to one of these
Doug....

You know you wana, and you won't be disapointed.

Or..... you could buy my 1st gen MGW so I can but the new one
Old 3/5/10, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

You probably right Jim... but I am just hard pressed to give up my Hurst handle and ****! And since the top is usually down when driving my car, the little bit of noise I get from the Pro 5.0 is rarely heard

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AND PICS OF NEW DESIGN MGW SHIFTER FOR 2005-2009 MUSTANG GT>>