GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Off road H pipe tune help

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/06, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I have an XCAL 2 from Bamachips which I am loving, and SLP loudmouths, and I will be receiving an off road H pipe from Brenspeed on monday. I asked doug about a tune for the off road pipe, and he said that all i need are the O2 sensors off. Brent at Brenspeed says his "non H pipe tunes differ from his H pipe tunes".

With a CAI, I know you need a tune to compensate for leaning out the A/F ratio and the increased flow. I know the H pipe will WORK with out a tune, but I am wondering what needs to be done to make it perform better short of taking it to a dyno. Brenspeed wants $100 for his tune, and since I bought my tuner from doug, I want to keep a Bamachips tune, and I like all the other things doug has done on my tune. Anybody know what I should do, or what I should ask for from doug?

Thanks.
Old 1/19/06, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

just let him know you got an off road h pipe and would like a new tune. easy as that
Old 1/19/06, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

did you read all i wrote? I said I asked him already....
Old 1/19/06, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've tuned both with and without without any changes, except in how loud they were. Exhaust flow doesn't affect a/f ratio. The only difference I could possibly see if maybe the addition of a few degrees of timing due to the better exhaust scavaging due to the increased flow but even then not much.

I've not tuned a before and after with the pipe but it seems like I need to, still I would almost guaruntee there's nothing majorly different, especially since its said to work with the stock tune.

thanks, Doug.
Old 1/19/06, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Alright... Thanks!!!!
Old 1/19/06, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I am currently using JLT with a 92 octane tune from DTP with the H pipe. This is same tune I have been using for months, long before the H pipe. I have had absolutely no problems. Tune works great with the H pipe.

I think the biggest concern would be to shut off the 02 sensors. Not sure how much of a gain you would get by re-tuning specifically for the addition of the H pipe, but it's probably not worth the $100 for the canned tune or the $ it costs to have it dyno tuned.
Old 1/19/06, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shut off the O2 sensors? You've lost me on this one...
Old 1/19/06, 10:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@January 19, 2006, 11:28 PM
Shut off the O2 sensors? You've lost me on this one...

Just the rear 02's or actually what is called the catalyst monitors( yeah I know it's spelled wrong ) They only monitor how well the converters are working and dont have any affect on the way the engine is performing usually.

The front 02's only work at low to part throttle modes though, at WOT the front 02's aren't monitored by the PCM anymore as it goes into a Open loop fuel controll where the PCM programming depends totally on what the MAF's transfer function is.

So no matter where the 02's are in the exhaust it's not gonna mean anything at WOT, but as someone found out this week they mean everything from idle to part throttle. We wont name names but when you install longtubes you may wanna get the extension harnesses premade

Thanks, Doug.
Old 1/19/06, 11:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

haha, thanks, thats good to know! I gotta remember that.
Old 1/20/06, 05:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Doug904@January 19, 2006, 7:56 PM
I've tuned both with and without without any changes, except in how loud they were. Exhaust flow doesn't affect a/f ratio. The only difference I could possibly see if maybe the addition of a few degrees of timing due to the better exhaust scavaging due to the increased flow but even then not much.

I've not tuned a before and after with the pipe but it seems like I need to, still I would almost guaruntee there's nothing majorly different, especially since its said to work with the stock tune.

thanks, Doug.
Hey Doug, what are you doing this weekend? We can check this out. The only thing I've done to it since you tuned it last month is install the Pypes o/r H pipe, so that'll let us know if anything has changed.

Are my dyno run graphs saved on Walkers computer? If so, we could show an overlay. I'm interested in how much they really gained, and where.

I'm off this weekend if you want to have a look at it. Shoot me a PM or call me if interested.
Old 1/20/06, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guy,

Sorry, about to walk out the door headed to NC for a dynoday this weekend. I'd be up for it for a weekend in Febuary though, Walker has every dyno run saved he's ever made so we'll be good there.

Thanks, Doug
Old 2/5/06, 09:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ January 19, 2006, 8:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

thanks, Doug.
[/b][/quote]

Doug and I checked it out at Walker's Dyno yesterday. The ONLY difference from yesterday and the last time Doug did my custom dyno tune was the instal of the Pypes off road H pipe.

The results, just like Doug and Brent said: No tune is needed. There was nothing to be done to make it work better. Hp gain was 6hp and 4 lbs of torque across the board. I was hoping for 10, and expecting a minimum of 5, so I was satisfied. What was really nice, wast the power was a solid and a constant gain as soon as the car went WOT all the way past the redline, just like Brent said it would. The graph looks like you took the ENTIRE hp curve, and bumped it up 6hp across the whole rpm range, no peaks or values. That constant gain sold me, I'd rather have that than a peak 10 hp gain only at the top of the power band. I like power I cany use every day down low.

I'm really pleased with the results, car now has 292 and 310tq, now time for the Meziere water pump that's been sitting in the garage for a few weeks. It never stops. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Doug, let me know about those underdrive pulleys!