GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Odd drivetrain problem, at least I THINK its drivetrain...

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/07, 07:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd drivetrain problem, at least I THINK its drivetrain...

If I am driving down the highway, staying at a steady speed, the car does this thing where instead of surging, it does the opposite. It feels like the car loses power for a second. The reason I think it is drivetrain related is because for 1: the 05s come stock with some pretty sweet drivetrain slop and 2: the RPMs never change.

At first I thought it was the fuel pump, which regardless I am going to take it in for the fuel pump TSB, but the more I think about it, I think its in the drivetrain. Because it behaves fine when I am driving around town, only when I am at a constant speed, or even cruising downhill, does the problem surface. What I think is happening is while cruising, the car itself starts going faster than the drivetrain within that little bit of slack, then the slack gets taken up and the drivetrain slows the car back down. But this of course all happens within 5 or so seconds. Like when you are peddling on a bicycle and start going downhill, the bike moves faster than you can peddle.

What are some thoughts on this? Anyone else have something like this happen? Would an aluminum driveshaft remove some of the slop?
Old 2/21/07, 10:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try the fuel pump TSB first. It sounds fuel related to me. Drivetrain slop won't make the car surge while at a constant speed on the highway. There will be a constant pressure on the drivetrain, not letting it get any "slop".