GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: Which octane tune should I get?
87 Save money, you're still fast
16.00%
91 Speed is a drug.
84.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

The Octane Debate.

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/07, 05:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Larmo
I'll be ordering a CAI/tune from Brenspeed this week... will be using 93 performance as a DD.... just doing my research now deciding between C&L, JLT2, and C&L Racer intakes (sooo many differing opinions out there wish there was a consensus!)
For a somewhat different solution, one that I am going to get, is the CAI from Western Motorsports. Some of the other posters on this site are using it and they seem to be very happy with it.

All those other CAIs look the same. I think this looks badder.
Old 10/14/07, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
in one of these threads there was a comparison test by 5.0 mag I think it was between diffrent cai and there was a definitive favorite in the article, I think it was jlt but dont quote me on that
JLT was the CAI but it was like 2 HP more than the C&L....hell 2 HP is like dyno error and the result could be the opposite the next time.

Originally Posted by nynvolt
Because I don't want to put words in his mouth I won't say his name but a reputable tuner once posted something to the effect that you just don't get enough room for adjustment with 87 octane so performance increase with a 87 octane tune won't net much if any performance gains, or atleast thats how I read it.

I don't really get how anyone who can afford a car that gets the type of mileage the Mustang gets can't or doesn't want to spend an extra $2 per fill up for gas. I think if your buying a tuner and intake, it would be silly to run a 87 octane tune. Thats just my opinion and everyone has diffrent reasons for doing things but doesn't make much sense to me. I'd keep the car completely stock if I wanted to run cheap gas, actually I would have kept my Civic if I were worried about fuel costs.
Exactly!!