GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

OBX Longtube headers installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/11, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OBX Longtube headers installed!!!

First time installing longtube headers,and let me tell ya what a pain in the @£#,not only did it take long enough to get the rusty manifolds off,unclipping the sensors and what else, but trying to get those long tubes to the right place without lifting the engine is just lot of time consuming and alot of swearings meanwhile hittin ypur hand against something,gettin stuck....About OBX ,why cant they mention what you gona have to go through,first I had to make those O2 sensors wiring longer to get them fit,second theyre was a hair thick of space between steering shaft,wich caused them to hit it at right turns,loosed the header up and dent it right where it was hitting,and there was a 1/8th of an inch between frame and the collector on both sides wich caused rattleling,had hard time gettin them to atleast 1/4" from the frame,then they didnt fit h-pipe,but somehow i managed to finish in 12hrs with jackstands,first start I got blown away with a sound that got my ears to get a stiffy,but engine was off idle and rpm going up and down and at wot it just didnt feel right,haha forgot to plug in a sensor,reprogrammed the computer and felt the diference in performance right away,after driving around rattles everywhere,rechecked every little detail it could be hittin bending stuff away or even dent a tube in some parts,got away from some rattles but still rattle,after a week under there tryin to find what it could be,I got angry and hit the tire with my foot and same noise apeared,it was the hydraulic steering thing wich never before caused a single noised before instalation and I hadnt even thouched it,but loosed it up and retighten it and noise was gone,but now I had a noise at rear axle only when hittin a hard bump or while on bumpy offroads,the driver side,right before the muffler the tube was hittin a tube thats right over the axle,put a 1/4" spacer where it was screwed on the frame and all rattles and unusual noises gone,by the way, used stock gaskets wich worked great,the car sounds amazing and with a electric exhaust cuttout it sounds like a beast at WOT,but not noisy at all while closed and Im using Magnaflow mufflers.

The OBX stainless steel long tube header looks and feels like and overall great quality,poor fittin but nothing to unusual to not get em to fit,didnt get blue but turning yellowich,is this normal with any brand in stainless steel or poor quality stainless steel?

Anyway if anybody has a question or comments about theyre installation on headers feel free to post!!!!
Old 5/8/11, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Victorfriessen
First time installing longtube headers,and let me tell ya what a pain in the @£#,not only did it take long enough to get the rusty manifolds off,unclipping the sensors and what else, but trying to get those long tubes to the right place without lifting the engine is just lot of time consuming and alot of swearings meanwhile hittin ypur hand against something,gettin stuck....About OBX ,why cant they mention what you gona have to go through,first I had to make those O2 sensors wiring longer to get them fit,second theyre was a hair thick of space between steering shaft,wich caused them to hit it at right turns,loosed the header up and dent it right where it was hitting,and there was a 1/8th of an inch between frame and the collector on both sides wich caused rattleling,had hard time gettin them to atleast 1/4" from the frame,then they didnt fit h-pipe,but somehow i managed to finish in 12hrs with jackstands,first start I got blown away with a sound that got my ears to get a stiffy,but engine was off idle and rpm going up and down and at wot it just didnt feel right,haha forgot to plug in a sensor,reprogrammed the computer and felt the diference in performance right away,after driving around rattles everywhere,rechecked every little detail it could be hittin bending stuff away or even dent a tube in some parts,got away from some rattles but still rattle,after a week under there tryin to find what it could be,I got angry and hit the tire with my foot and same noise apeared,it was the hydraulic steering thing wich never before caused a single noised before instalation and I hadnt even thouched it,but loosed it up and retighten it and noise was gone,but now I had a noise at rear axle only when hittin a hard bump or while on bumpy offroads,the driver side,right before the muffler the tube was hittin a tube thats right over the axle,put a 1/4" spacer where it was screwed on the frame and all rattles and unusual noises gone,by the way, used stock gaskets wich worked great,the car sounds amazing and with a electric exhaust cuttout it sounds like a beast at WOT,but not noisy at all while closed and Im using Magnaflow mufflers.

The OBX stainless steel long tube header looks and feels like and overall great quality,poor fittin but nothing to unusual to not get em to fit,didnt get blue but turning yellowich,is this normal with any brand in stainless steel or poor quality stainless steel?

Anyway if anybody has a question or comments about theyre installation on headers feel free to post!!!!
How can you load up pics in a thread using IPhone,anybody knows?
Old 5/8/11, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you reply to a thread you will see attachments. Push that then hit choose from library.
Old 5/14/11, 04:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you read some of the threads on OBX install. Might have saved you a bunch of cussing. And you should have changed out your stock motor mounts to Prothane's and all of your rubbing issues will go bye-bye. Been running OBX on my auto trans Vert for over 3 years without any issues at all. And yes they will turn gold and blue in color. But not rusty.

https://themustangsource.com/f669/ob...-trans-462239/

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 5/14/11 at 08:15 AM.
Old 5/16/11, 01:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also just installed OBX long tubes, it took me all day also. But what a great sound and power. Great for the money!!!!
Old 5/16/11, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangmike06
I also just installed OBX long tubes, it took me all day also. But what a great sound and power. Great for the money!!!!

Any make of longtube is a ***** of a install. Don't let anyone kid you. It is the same steps regardless of manufacturer. Glad you like them. You really can't beat them for the money invested. If you had spent $1300 on them I am sure they wouldn't have been a 6 hour job.