GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

OBX Longtube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/11, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX Longtube Headers

Has anybody installed obx LT's and if so what's the feedback.
Old 3/7/11, 06:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had the OBX longtubes on my 06 GT for about 3 years now. Quite pleased with them. When they came out, great bargain for the price.
Check out this thread for more info,
https://themustangsource.com/f669/ob...-trans-462239/
Fell free to contact me or my friend Scott for more info.
Old 3/7/11, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by aircare84
I have had the OBX longtubes on my 06 GT for about 3 years now. Quite pleased with them. When they came out, great bargain for the price.
Check out this thread for more info,
https://themustangsource.com/f669/ob...-trans-462239/
Fell free to contact me or my friend Scott for more info.
Well pretty much good feedback on the headers. I did read something about lifting the engine to install if I'm correct, now can the install be done without lifting the engine? Thanks
Old 3/7/11, 11:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The answer no. I believe that on every longtube header install the motor mounts must be removed, engine raised and engine pushed from side to side to get the clearance needed for the install. And the OBX headers are still going strong with no issues at all after 3 years on the car.
Scott
Old 3/7/11, 11:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I can tell you that i tried to to install my pypes long tube headers without romoving the motor mounts. It was not going to work. I removed the mount on one side and slid it in. I didnt have to move the motor. I left the other mount on until i was totally finished with one side. I didnt lift or push the motor at all
Old 3/7/11, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the info guys, anything else I may need too know.
Old 3/7/11, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Start the car with open headers. You dont really have to do this but i did just to see how loud it would be. It was insanely loud
Old 3/8/11, 05:24 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dlimon
Thanks for the info guys, anything else I may need too know.
Be prepared to spend a decent amount of time doing this if you're doing it by yourself. Also, if you remove the steering link (I'm not sure if all types of LTs make you but I had to in order to install mine), make sure you are very precise about the alignment of the link when you put it back on. Mine is still off by about 5 degrees. It's no big deal from a driving standpoint (car still goes straight when you set it) but it's annoying that straight line driving is 5 degrees left on my steering wheel. Now I've gotta get back in there and adjust it until its correct.
Old 3/8/11, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Americanboy86

Be prepared to spend a decent amount of time doing this if you're doing it by yourself. Also, if you remove the steering link (I'm not sure if all types of LTs make you but I had to in order to install mine), make sure you are very precise about the alignment of the link when you put it back on. Mine is still off by about 5 degrees. It's no big deal from a driving standpoint (car still goes straight when you set it) but it's annoying that straight line driving is 5 degrees left on my steering wheel. Now I've gotta get back in there and adjust it until its correct.
Thanks for the info, I sure am not doing this on my own by the way, my buddy will be helping. Thanks.
Old 3/8/11, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will need ratcheting metric wrenches, 13mm for sure, can't remember which other ones. This is in addition to standard metric hand tools. Also need a 8mm wrench or socket for the exhaust manifold studs. I did have to trim 1 or 2 of the stock studs down a bit to clear 2 of the primary tubes.
One of the primary tubes is real close to the steering shaft. Installing prothene motor mounts at the same time is recommended, or dent in the primary tube like Scott did.

You will have remove the mounts & lift the engine to install the headers, just plan on it.
Old 3/8/11, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
You will need ratcheting metric wrenches, 13mm for sure, can't remember which other ones. This is in addition to standard metric hand tools. Also need a 8mm wrench or socket for the exhaust manifold studs. I did have to trim 1 or 2 of the stock studs down a bit to clear 2 of the primary tubes.
One of the primary tubes is real close to the steering shaft. Installing prothene motor mounts at the same time is recommended, or dent in the primary tube like Scott did.

You will have remove the mounts & lift the engine to install the headers, just plan on it.

Larry and I did (2) OBX longtube installs. One on his manual trans and one on my auto trans car. Not trying to brag but follow our advise. Been there and done that .....twice! Larry is a helicoper mechanic. He knows his stuff.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/8/11 at 04:37 PM.
Old 3/16/11, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had mine for about a year now. I installed poly motor mounts when the headers were install so I don't have any rubbing issues with the steering shaft, however my collective area on the passenger side does rub the frame. The engine is shifted all the way to the left, but it still rubs when the car first starts/warms up and when I turn right.

Old 4/20/11, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

I am ordering a set of OBX long tube headers. What motor mounts do you guys suggest? Should I even do them? Price? Where do I get them? Thanks guys!
Old 4/22/11, 05:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Prothane motor mounts. Install them the same time you do the headers.
http://www.brenspeed.com/6505.html