GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Now what do I do? Opinion's needed.....

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/05, 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

O.K now what, First up I LOVE the new GT500!! It was however my worst fear as far as Ford choosing the GT500 as thier new hotrod... Now I know my car is not "original" by any mean's but it was what I alway's wanted.

Now it seem's that even though I started on my Pony in October of 2004, a year and half or so before the new GT500 hit's the street's, it's destined to be a wanabe or something of that nature... :bang: A week before the GT500 appeared I took the suggestion of many hear and removed the GT fender emblem's and put the 68 snake's in thier place. It turned out very nice and really cleaned up that area well. Also as many of you know, I was planning on a ducktail and a host of other mod's, performance and apperance wise. I was even going to have the faux gas cap medalion custom made like the 68 (pretty much what the new GT500 has)...

Here is the delima, what to do now?? I have came up with 2 plan's and I would like to hear your suggestion's and opinion's....Here we go...

1. Keep my car. Change the GT500 to GT350 in the hope's that Ford doesn't build one of those too. :bang: Also change it out of respect for the new bad boy. Continue my modding including but not limitted to: Head work, Cam, High Comp. Piston's, more BMR suspension componet's, Brembo 13" brake's, Ducktail, quarter window scoop's, Elanor style wheel's and fat rubber, custom 68 style hood, etc. Basically what I was planing to do anyway...

I know this is a little out there, but I was also considering doing the whole car in Flat Black with gloss black stripes just like I have now (the stripe layout and sizing) to further set it appart. Now I now that is not a popular option, but I love that look and I've never been one to care about "popular"... It would look stealth, and mean as heck....Muhaha... I would also powder coat the inner part of the Elanor wheel's black and polish the flat surface's and the rim lip.

2. Leave the car as is, and trade it in on the Shelby GT500....

The hard part is though, I truley LOVE my car. We have allready been through alot together, and this is a painful decesion to say the least. There is already a lot of blood, sweet and tear's into my baby....

I have already put my name on the list to order the new GT500 as a percaution. My dealer did a great job geting my 05, and I have full confidence that they will get me a GT500 quick with no stupid mark-up's! It's not set in stone however...

Please help me on this one!!

P.S. I have allready went through the "cloning a classic" debate in my original post of my Pony. I would like to avoid that debate and just focus on solution's to the problem at hand...Thank you
Old 3/26/05, 04:48 PM
GT Member

i say keep your baby cause you have done a nice job and it is personalized to you,and work a bunch of over time to buy the gt 500 later !! maybe thats what i wish i could do but heck everybody dreams
Old 3/26/05, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Justin,
I've thought abou this as well, here is my thinking.
I also love the new Shelby, however that is a car you don't go out and buy a bunch of aftermarket parts for; you keep it as close to orginal for as long as you can. Because someday it's going to be worth a small fortune.
Our cars however are cars you can mod and change things, for me that is almost as fun as having it and driving it. I like to personalize "my car".

Because of this I'm going to stick with my car, buy a supercharger and try to make it as fast as a new shelby.

Not to mention how much do you think insurance companys are going to want to insure that car.
Old 3/26/05, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd take option 1 if I were you. You've done so much to the car, it would be a pity to kill it now. If you go with GT-350, then quarter-window and side scoops would be a nice distinction from the '07 Shelby. I know just what you must be feeling. :bang: I still think you have the sharpest GT I've seen yet.
Old 3/26/05, 05:46 PM
FR500 Member

I say go with option #1. Keep it and make it the way you want it. It will be your own true original. IMO

Paul
Old 3/26/05, 07:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

i say keep it. i love the new shelby. and if they came out with competition orange. i will probably be first in line to try and buy it. but thats b/c i dont have an 05 already. but with your car you can be different. that the great thing that ford did. they left the base gt kind of plain looking to give everyone the ability to change things to look the way they want. everyone knocks ford for not adding this or adding that to the car. if they did that, then we wouldnt be able to personalize it the way we want. but thats just my 3.5 cents worth
Old 3/26/05, 07:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Door number one.
Old 3/27/05, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

#1.

It looks as though you are able to build a vehicle with good looks and good performance, why would you consider buying one that will be a cookie cutter image of the others?

It's not going to be "special" like the original Shelbys. Like all other modern day "special" cars it will fade away with the next years new fangled "special" car
Old 3/27/05, 02:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@March 26, 2005, 4:38 PM
O.K now what, First up I LOVE the new GT500!! It was however my worst fear as far as Ford choosing the GT500 as thier new hotrod... Now I know my car is not "original" by any mean's but it was what I alway's wanted.

Now it seem's that even though I started on my Pony in October of 2004, a year and half or so before the new GT500 hit's the street's, it's destined to be a wanabe or something of that nature... :bang: A week before the GT500 appeared I took the suggestion of many hear and removed the GT fender emblem's and put the 68 snake's in thier place. It turned out very nice and really cleaned up that area well. Also as many of you know, I was planning on a ducktail and a host of other mod's, performance and apperance wise. I was even going to have the faux gas cap medalion custom made like the 68 (pretty much what the new GT500 has)...

Here is the delima, what to do now?? I have came up with 2 plan's and I would like to hear your suggestion's and opinion's....Here we go...

1. Keep my car. Change the GT500 to GT350 in the hope's that Ford doesn't build one of those too. :bang: Also change it out of respect for the new bad boy. Continue my modding including but not limitted to: Head work, Cam, High Comp. Piston's, more BMR suspension componet's, Brembo 13" brake's, Ducktail, quarter window scoop's, Elanor style wheel's and fat rubber, custom 68 style hood, etc. Basically what I was planing to do anyway...

I know this is a little out there, but I was also considering doing the whole car in Flat Black with gloss black stripes just like I have now (the stripe layout and sizing) to further set it appart. Now I now that is not a popular option, but I love that look and I've never been one to care about "popular"... It would look stealth, and mean as heck....Muhaha... I would also powder coat the inner part of the Elanor wheel's black and polish the flat surface's and the rim lip.

2. Leave the car as is, and trade it in on the Shelby GT500....

The hard part is though, I truley LOVE my car. We have allready been through alot together, and this is a painful decesion to say the least. There is already a lot of blood, sweet and tear's into my baby....

I have already put my name on the list to order the new GT500 as a percaution. My dealer did a great job geting my 05, and I have full confidence that they will get me a GT500 quick with no stupid mark-up's! It's not set in stone however...

Please help me on this one!!

P.S. I have allready went through the "cloning a classic" debate in my original post of my Pony. I would like to avoid that debate and just focus on solution's to the problem at hand...Thank you

OK bro listen up. You may not realize it but you're in good shape.

You got a serious car already going, so you can stand by and wait for all the hype to pass on the GT500. Just like every new hot edition, those first in line get it in the rear. Take your name off that waiting list.

So have fun with your GT for the next 2 years and when GT500s can be had for under MSRP or even invoice, then sell or trade in your car on the Shelby.
Old 3/27/05, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Option #1. The best part about the Shelby is all the parts that you'll be able to get for your current car without having to go all the way and spend that kind of dough.
Old 3/27/05, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, if only I had it so ruff.

I WAS going to say get the GT500 if you can afford it, but then, after reading the other posts, I've done a 180.

Part of the reason I'm getting a Stang is so I can make it mine, in it's own unique way. You can make your GT just as good as the new GT500 for less money . . . if you do most of the work yourself. Even if it costs more, you still have a one of a kind car.

Keep it! And put GT501 stickers on it!
Old 3/27/05, 03:31 PM

Your car is yours man, remember the extensive post you had concerning your version of what Ford/Shelby/Mustang means to you? Don't let corporate strategy disuade you from your original feelings of hot rodding your car. Every "skippy the punk that has 40-50K will be buying one of these just like they do with Corvettes and Z06s. People with more money than you will always be able to beat you with less work. Don't throw away what you have spent so much time/money creating. IMO you should keep with your original plans, you will spend less money than a Shelby and probably be able to smoke one at the strip and earn more respect by doing it yourself and with smaller cubic inches and fewer valves!
Old 3/27/05, 03:53 PM
FR500 Member

Keep it Jay Just think, when you blow your engine, you know exactly what to put in it.
Old 3/27/05, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

For those who have posted, I must say thank you! I must say you have all said basically what I wanted to hear. I guess I just needed a little smak'n around to straighten me up! When I first saw the new GT500 I was a little taken back... I mean son of a gun, what I've been workin so hard on Ford seemed to effortlessly unvail to the world... :bang: It wasn't so much corporate propaganda as it was who would build my dream car better, me or Ford. Well Ford put one heck of a entry in, but I still think I can do better! Especially with the help of you guy's here on this site. I've been here a while now and it would be an understatement to say that many here have earned my respect and I value your input and advise!

Now I got some work to do!! That new Cobra's come'n, and I have about a year or so to smoke it.... I'm going to turn this project up to a whole new level. Come on SVT, let's see what you got....

I'm going to build the car I alway's wanted. It's not about money or having somthing better than someone else, it's about a car that light's the soul on fire, a car with such an evil precence that all other's go run and hide...even the new Cobra....A car that capture's the heart like Carroll first did in the 60's. It's about a guy that bought a hot car looking over at you asking "who did your work for you?" and you can say, "I did it". It's about respect....

I called my guy at Ford today. I told him to take my name off the list. He said, "Why in the world do you want to do that? You were first on the list??". I said, "I thought about it, and after consulting with some friend's, I think I can give your new Cobra a run for it's money! ". He laughed and said " If anyone can, it might be you..., if you change your mind just give me a call ". As a side note I keep trying to get him to pull out one of their Saleen's and run it against my car. He just laugh's and say's "Man I got to be able to sell these thing's! ". It's all in good fun, one of these day's he'll crack....

Thank's again guy's, stay tuned as there's no look'n back now...
Old 3/27/05, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

im keeping mine

getting a 03-04 cobra short block

blower
Old 3/27/05, 04:59 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's about a guy that bought a hot car looking over at you asking "who did your work for you?" and you can say, "I did it". It's about respect....
thats prolly the greatest feeling in the world right there. i know you've already made ur decision but i say keep the one you've got. you've already put so much work into it, that it would be a waste if you traded it up on the shelby. why have a car that some other dude made and sells to the masses when you can have the one YOU made, with YOUR blood, sweat and tears. boes back to the quote.

PS- ur GT is one of the slickest i've seen

also, whats the best ur baby has done in the 1/4? i need to know
Old 3/27/05, 05:01 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by dhof303@March 27, 2005, 6:34 PM
Your car is yours man, remember the extensive post you had concerning your version of what Ford/Shelby/Mustang means to you? Don't let corporate strategy disuade you from your original feelings of hot rodding your car. Every "skippy the punk that has 40-50K will be buying one of these just like they do with Corvettes and Z06s. People with more money than you will always be able to beat you with less work. Don't throw away what you have spent so much time/money creating. IMO you should keep with your original plans, you will spend less money than a Shelby and probably be able to smoke one at the strip and earn more respect by doing it yourself and with smaller cubic inches and fewer valves!
This was a great post and hit all of the key points spot-on. It's better to create a super-car than to buy one!

Good luck with option #1.
Old 3/27/05, 10:24 PM
GT Member

I'd just replace the rocker stripe with one of a solid color- no mention of GT- anything. This way you have no worries of Ford making a GT-350. But option one is also a perfectly fine route to take. Remember- the 500 in GT500 stood for (about) 400-500hp, so if u can mod your car up to that level- you surely earn the right to wear that badge on your car with no fear of being a wannabe.
Old 3/28/05, 07:28 AM
GT Member

I dig the new GT500 but like what has been said in almost all the replies modding the heck out of your S197 is where the enjoyment is. It's cool to buy a car that is a bad **** straight out of the box... but save that for when you are too old to enjoy working on your car.

Have you ever considered throwing the Ford Racing Cammer engine in your GT? Then slap a 5.0 Emblem on the side and you will be well on your way to making those GT500 owners tremble. If I had the cash that is the first thing I'd do. Just a thought.

:worship: 5.0L CAMMER ENGINE

Quick Reply: Now what do I do? Opinion's needed.....