GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Normal noises from lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/06, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normal noises from lowering springs?

I installed a set of Tein lowering springs and an adjustable panhard bar. These really brought out the strut popping noise and I had them replaced today under warranty. Now during low speed turns everything is quiet. Unfortunately I noticed now that the struts are quiet, I can hear occasional thumps, bumps, pops, etc. from the suspension.

These noises are definitely not from the struts, totally different sound, heck I can even "feel" it sometimes. It seems like this happens going over certain bumps or uneven spots in the road while driving around town.

Am I hitting the bumpstops or just bottoming out in general? Is there anything I can do to stop this? Is this normal for a set of springs when you first install them? I can't imagine them needing to "break in" but I've never lowered a car before so I just don't know.
Old 7/7/06, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not faimliar with the Tein springs and how much they lower the car, but anytime you change springs to a stiffer and lower one you're generally going to degrade the ride some, but improve the handling. Also, the panhard rod with its harder bushings isn't going to help the ride either. The stock suspension in the Mustang isn't the best at handling bumps IMHO, and adding stiffer and lower springs is going to magnify any imperfections in the road. I don't think there is any breakin involved in the springs or struts.
Old 7/7/06, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Understand the stiffer ride, that is definitely not what I mean when I say I can feel it. I mean when I hear the suspension "pop" or go "clunk" I can also feel that, and it's definitely not the struts popping.

I figure that it's probably bottoming out, but I'm not too sure. The drop is pretty low, I believe they quote 1.7" or so. In any case, I can't fit my hydraulic jack under my car anymore.