GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

NO TUNING REQUIRED CAI Dyno tuning day...

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/05, 08:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

Well It started out pretty good Saturday morning. I had a great guy loan me his 05' Convertiable GT 5-speed manual for the dyno. This car is absolutly stock, no mufflers,air intakes or anything. When I picked it up I had asked him to run it as low as possible with the fuel he was using, 87, and I'd fill it up for him with 93. I did but after a few pulls on the dyno and datalogging the timing It was pulling out as much timing on the 91 and 93 programs that it was reaching fully with the 87. In other words, the 87 in the tank was killing me.

After thinking about it I decided that would be fine. I'd just do a real world 87 tuning dyno testing with the CAI's that DONT REQUIRE TUNING.

I had four on hand, the MAC, AFE, WMS, and MRT.

First order of business was to come up with a baseline for the car and then a baseline with my 87 performance program. This is great because rarely do I get to tune using 87 and this will make some great information for my customers wanting this type of programming from me. The car put down 262 rwhp and 279 rwtq. After adding my 87 Performance program and nothing else, no custom tuning just doing what I normally do and loading it up, it made 270 rwhp and 286 rwtq. A nice gain of 8rwhp and 7rwtq from my 87 performance program. Also my a/f ratio was right where I wanted it to be.

Next I bolted on the MAC CAI, or should I say the MAC airfilter and new MAF housing. It bolted directly to the air intake tube. I returned the vehicle to the stock factory program and ran the car, 14.5-14.7 at WOT and lean all the way through the curve. I wouldn't get near this car again without tuning for this setup.

MAC Untuned = 270rwhp and 289 rwtq.

Now when I added my tuning and adjusted the a/f to the correct settings and the best thing was the a/f all the way across the board was now safe.

MAC Tuned = 279 rwhp and 294 rwtq

Number two was the WMS kit, and this was where things got very disappointing. I removed the bolts securing the coolant tank and was able to move it to the side for the dyno runs and secure it. I then installed the WMS kit on the TB and tried everything I could to get the MAF wiring over to it just to make a few pulls. NO WAY! I tried and tried but unfortunatly I just couldn't. I thought long about it and there wasn't anyway I was about to cut the wiring on this new convertiable as this guy was already concerned about going in for repairs at the dealer. I'm sorry guys but I wasn't able to do any testing with it.

ON a side note, I've contacted another SCT dealer who has tuned for these air intakes and we are talking about what kinda gains he got with it. So I should still be able to do the tuning for them and be very safe for it, I just won't have any dyno results for you. I completely understand if you prefer to go with another dealer for the WMS tuning. I feel as if I've let you all down with this kit but I just couldn't cut wiring on a car with 4800 miles on it.

Next was the AFE kit. First I have to say that this kit was beautifully engineered! It has the large metal box with a nice silver cover. It has a plastic intake tube and comes with everything you'll need to install and then some. It took about 10-15 minutes to install everything and get it all done as this was the longest kit to install of any but it was still great.

After returning the vehicle to the stock program we ran it, the car actually got RICHER then stock! It was running 11.5:1 at WOT and just a tad rich in the mid range. Still it was by far the safest kit I'd seen from just a bolt on and go stand point. Yes, 11.5 is rich but it's alot better then 14.5.

AFE Untuned = 274 rwhp and 292 rwtq

Great numbers from a excellent kit and safe too. The best was yet to come as when I got it all dialed in and the a/f correct...

AFE Tuned = 284 rwhp and 295 rwtq

Funny how taking away fuel won't make the Torque do much but really pickup the horsepower huh?

Finally came the MRT kit. Now this kit was the best looking out of any if you ask me. With it's shiny chrome tubing and Carbon fiber airbox lid it was very nice. As for installation time it was a snap. It took longer to install the maf meter in the tubing then to install the airbox and the rest of the kit. The hose that comes with the kit for the valve cover is long enough to use with a JET TB spacer too.

MRT Untuned = 280 rwhp and 299 rwtq

I couldn't beleive how high the numbers were with this kit untuned! Now the a/f could have had alot to do with it as they were kinda touching the spot of being uneasy with me. Seeing 13.2-13.4 at WOT tuning may not be required as they state on their website but definatly if you want to get the most you'll need tuning. After changing very very little with my 87 performance file we ran it again...

MRT Tuned = 282 rwhp and 300 rwtq.

All this on a 87 program too. These cars leave alot on the plate for tuning and airflow mods. This kit is one of the best bangs for your buck in my opinion. The look of it is very nice with the chrome pipe and the carbon fiber. Although it's not as with the C&L with a complete custom cast aluminum tube, it's still up there.

All in all I had a great time and even after I got finished tuning this 05' I then had a s/c 01' GT and a 04' Lightning to tune so I was there most of the day. I did develope my tuning enough that I can now offer programs for any of these kits, except the WMS YET, and I got to show alot about what requires a tune and what don't.

Thanks, Doug904 www.BamaChips.com

There will be a complete article done about this on this site soon so I have all of these dyno sheets and some pictures of the kit if you want to see but they will be on the article soon after this. Just shoot me an email if you'd want them earlier.
Old 8/29/05, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

"ON a side note, I've contacted another SCT dealer who has tuned for these air intakes and we are talking about what kinda gains he got with it. So I should still be able to do the tuning for them and be very safe for it, I just won't have any dyno results for you. I completely understand if you prefer to go with another dealer for the WMS tuning."

Dang, so can you share with us what we might expect to get out of the WMS?
Old 8/29/05, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug...thank you so much for your time and expertise! Great write up!It is good to see some real comparisons!
Old 8/30/05, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks Doug for the write up!
Old 8/30/05, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Doug, you missed one that doesn't require tuning, LOL the K&N, do you happen to have the same type of info for it and your tune.
Old 8/30/05, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice write-up. I am really liking your 87 tune for my C&L.
Old 8/30/05, 10:26 AM
I talk to cones.

darn no wonder my mileage sucks with the AFE Kit on.

I am definetly going to get the X-cal2 from you sometime Doug just waiting on Funding

What do you think the difference will usually be between an 87 and 93 tune?
Old 8/30/05, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

well my car pulled with the stock intake and a tune 285 @ the wheels and with the CAI it jumped to 297. But dropped to 295 on back to back pulls. I never did let it cool down. So dont know what it does with a cool down.
Old 8/30/05, 10:57 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Doug ... thanks for the info.

Check your PM
Old 8/31/05, 06:44 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bumping, this is a good read...
Old 9/1/05, 12:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the write up Doug. You're helping me make informed decisions on where my hard earned cash is going.
Old 10/20/05, 01:36 PM
GT Member

Doug, have you been able to create a 93 octane tune for the MRT? I have been thinking about getting the MRT intake and tune, but they off a diablo tune. I live in St. Louis and I don't know of a trusty Diablo tuner in the area. I know there are a few SCT tuners if I really need a custom tune, but I thought if you have a good tune for the MRT, then your's might work. I do have an auto if that matters (get rid to of the torque management and such).
Old 10/20/05, 02:17 PM
V6 Member

Doug - Did you have a chance to run the K&N CAI intake w/o a tune to see if the A/F ratios are alright? I would like to get the K&N first and then buy the SCT 2 from you in a few months. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 10/20/05, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about the WMS?
Old 10/20/05, 06:24 PM
V6 Member

[attachmentid=36647]
I have the MRT CAI and the MRT Aero Turbine mufflers.... However I haven't done any tuning yet.... I'm glad to see that I'm making some decent numbers even without the tune. Now I just need to finish my car off with the polished heads and Shorty's I have patiently waiting in my garage.... Then I'll get the whole thing done up right with the SCT X2....
Old 10/22/05, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bump!
Old 10/22/05, 02:03 PM
GT Member

Cool write up Doug, nice to see you posting the A/F ratios as that is just as important as Hp and tourque if you want to keep your engine safe.
I would also like to see your results on the K and N system!
Good Job!
Old 10/22/05, 04:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by fastball25@October 20, 2005, 1:39 PM
Doug, have you been able to create a 93 octane tune for the MRT? I have been thinking about getting the MRT intake and tune, but they off a diablo tune. I live in St. Louis and I don't know of a trusty Diablo tuner in the area. I know there are a few SCT tuners if I really need a custom tune, but I thought if you have a good tune for the MRT, then your's might work. I do have an auto if that matters (get rid to of the torque management and such).
You have a great tuner right in your back yard. I sent you an E mail.
Old 10/22/05, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Any chance on the new Airaid CAI getting tested. I am planning on picking mine up on tuesday and would be curious to see some results, and later on a custom tune, for it.
Old 10/24/05, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Doug, what about the WMS?

Quick Reply: NO TUNING REQUIRED CAI Dyno tuning day...