GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

No-drone axlebacks?

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/12, 11:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
No-drone axlebacks?

Are there any verified no-drone axlebacks for the 05-09 GT? I heard that Borla's mufflers for the 10-13 Mustangs are no-drone, but the FRPP versions will drone. I was curious if this is true for the 05-09 Stingers as well.

I tried the Pypes Violators on my 07 GT (manual), and they droned too much at 1500-2000 RPM. I went back to stock and was curious if there is something that sounds better but without any drone. I listened to the Corsa axleback videos and they sounded too much like stock.
Old 8/24/12, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the SLP Loudmouth and now the Flowmaster American Thunder. I've Been listening to some..., but this is my favorite part.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-0510gt.html

no-drone!
Old 8/24/12, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's gonna depend on what else you have going on. The drone will come and go with different mods.
Old 8/24/12, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd recommend the Flowmaster AT's, I used them for 5 years with no drone. I have also tried FRPP stingers and Flowmaster 40's and those both drone.
Old 8/24/12, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the Flowmaster AT's and they sound great. No drone and they have the perfect old school muscle car type sound IMO.
Old 8/24/12, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd prefer 100% 409/304 stainless steel, no aluminized carbon steel.

The 05-09 Borla S-type mufflers seem to be known for drone, but I keep reading about how Dave Borla ensures the Borla S-types are drone free, at least for 2010-2013 Mustangs. I'm not talking about the FRPP Stingers, but the actual bona fide Borla S-type mufflers.

The only airflow mod I have is the Steeda cold air intake kit (same one used on the Shelby GT). I am running a custom tune using the Shelby GT air transfer function, but for 93 octane fuel.

I had Pypes Violators but the drone was unbearable and the sound was too raspy and crude. I had them up for sale awhile ago on TMS but no one wanted them. I kind of like my stock mufflers, but was hoping someone knew if the Borla S-Types are drone-free, or if something else was available.

When did the Flowmasters become drone-free? The 40 series were notorious for droning and coming apart due to rust.
Old 8/24/12, 02:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought these for my 2010 GT (MRT Intrceptor axleback) and am very pleased with the tone. My car is a daily driver so I want a "drone-free" experience. I've listened to these on the highway with the seats up and down and find them very nice. They don't have the volume in the car if you like that. However, they do make their presence known when you accelerate

They are 304 stainless steel, and I like the loop of the muffler tips. Here is a short video of the sound from my car.
Old 8/24/12, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I'd prefer 100% 409/304 stainless steel, no aluminized carbon steel.

The 05-09 Borla S-type mufflers seem to be known for drone, but I keep reading about how Dave Borla ensures the Borla S-types are drone free, at least for 2010-2013 Mustangs. I'm not talking about the FRPP Stingers, but the actual bona fide Borla S-type mufflers.

The only airflow mod I have is the Steeda cold air intake kit (same one used on the Shelby GT). I am running a custom tune using the Shelby GT air transfer function, but for 93 octane fuel.

I had Pypes Violators but the drone was unbearable and the sound was too raspy and crude. I had them up for sale awhile ago on TMS but no one wanted them. I kind of like my stock mufflers, but was hoping someone knew if the Borla S-Types are drone-free, or if something else was available.

When did the Flowmasters become drone-free? The 40 series were notorious for droning and coming apart due to rust.
The classic ones (Sold as American Thunder Classic for the 4.6) are the two chamber 40 series
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh..._40_series.jpg

On the 4.6 mustang, the American Thunder mufflers are the 60 series which has much more baffling in it (and yes mine did rot through after 5 years)
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com.../3179_1_lg.jpg

And the AT's are available in 409 stainless http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-0510gt.html

Last edited by Agent MOO; 8/24/12 at 03:05 PM.
Old 8/24/12, 04:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most of the long term guys on this site know me and have seen my countless posts and videos of my exhaust system from front to back over the past years. For the newbies I had 4 different muffler/H-pipe combos before my final system that gives me true "NO Drone" cruising with wide open growl and loudness. I am running OBX longtubes and midpipe with these...........

http://www.brenspeed.com/15882.html

These mufflers are the fix. Best of both worlds. If you don't like the price then tough. They are 304SS and built for a lifetime. Search on my exhaust threads and videos.
Old 8/24/12, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford Racing just re-released the famous GTA axelbacks that came on the Shelby GT. I just picked up a set for my 07. They sound great and have no drone. The tips look awesome too. Blue Oval industries has a great price on them. Free shipping too. Good deal!

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/EX1520.html

Last edited by black sunshine; 8/24/12 at 06:49 PM.
Old 8/24/12, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One of my earlier set of mufflers were the Ford Racing mufflers. They droned like a bit@h. I hated them. Especially after my longtube addition. Check my posts................
Old 8/24/12, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
keep the stock mufflers and get some long tube headers with a high flow catted x pipe you won't be sorry
Old 8/24/12, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
actually someone on here has some kooks long tubes for sale in the for sale section here for like 600 bucks go getum and don't look back
Old 8/24/12, 07:39 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I run stock mani's with a Pypes OR-H linked up to the FRPP BULLITT Mufflers and it's drone free. I've ran several setups, including one of Scott's old systems, and the OR-H running into the FRPP BULLITTs is my fav. I won't even consider changing it unless I turn to headers in the future.
Old 8/25/12, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Nobody is consodering Magnaflows? I had flowmaster and I didnt not like them,and already many guys have told me that my setup with magnaflows sounds just simply the best and we have them compared to many mustangs in my area and guess ho won?

By the way my setup is mac ceramic longtubes,off road x-pipe,magnaflow axelback,and this guy with stainless steel longtubes,offroad h-pipe and flowmaster got very bad reviews from his setup
Old 8/25/12, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Victorfriessen
Nobody is consodering Magnaflows? I had flowmaster and I didnt not like them,and already many guys have told me that my setup with magnaflows sounds just simply the best and we have them compared to many mustangs in my area and guess ho won?

By the way my setup is mac ceramic longtubes,off road x-pipe,magnaflow axelback,and this guy with stainless steel longtubes,offroad h-pipe and flowmaster got very bad reviews from his setup
*didnt like them*
Old 8/25/12, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Anybody else likes Iphone keyboard as much as I do?
Old 8/25/12, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I've heard numerous reports of the Magnaflows droning. Some even call them the Magnadrones, so I guess people feel differently about the level of drone on the exhaust systems.
Old 8/25/12, 02:13 PM
Banned

For what it's worth, most of the time drone can be fixed by learning how to drive.... If you're in 5th at 45mph, you need to drop a gear. It doesn't matter what exhaust you put on your car if you're driving it like a Toyota Camry, it's gonna drone. Drop a gear and the drone will disappear.
Old 8/25/12, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Unless I am racing, I drive to save some fuel and shift at 1500-2000 RPM. The stock exhaust doesn't drone. The Violators droned badly just letting off the gas in 5th gear as the car decelerated at an off-ramp and dropped below 60 MPH. Shifting into a lower gear to keep the RPMs way high just to avoid droning is not an option for me. Eventually I'd have to go into the drone region anyhow.

I've even gotten used to doing 1-3-5 shifting or 1-2-4-5, depending on the traffic conditions. It's good for about 1-2 MPG.

Quick Reply: No-drone axlebacks?