GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Saleen SC on the way....

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/05, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a little confused here. The Saleen SC fits under the stock hood without any problems. In fact it is no higher then the stock intake. That is one of the reasons why I selected it...

Why would it not fit under the shaker...? :scratch:
Old 11/24/05, 06:04 PM
V6 Member

i have a saleen and it does fit under the stock hood no problem. it is higher on the four corners so the underhood felt is worn in areas but not a problem. Saleen recommends you take out the underhood felt. As far a performance it puts 362ht 360tq in 102 weather on a dynojet. That was with flowmasters and a k&n panel filter.
Old 11/24/05, 08:34 PM

I have the Saleen S/C and am using the stock MAF with a 90mm MAF housing. My max voltage is 4.6 with no problems.

I have about 6lbs of boost and am getting 415hp to the wheels with a 11.5 A/F through out the dyno pull.
Old 11/24/05, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don W could probably answer this better than I can, because he is the one that actually did the measurements (I think). The Saleen does fit under the stock hood, but actually sits almost 2 inches higher than the stock intake plenum. The Shaker needs some room between the bottom of the hood and the intake to connect and route the tubing. I know a couple of guys have raised the CDC, so it may be modifiyable(?) enough to make it work, but I haven't heard of anyone actually doing one yet. The whipple offers a little more clearance in addition to the Fang hood's extra clearance, Terry (Pro-glass/Profinish owner) said thiers should work without a problem.
This is one advantage to having to wait while I save up the extra money to have all this work done at once. I hafta wait at least until the Whipple is out, so I look at it as a 'Win-Win' situation.

Sorry for high-jacking your thread by the way.
Old 11/25/05, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sranger@November 24, 2005, 4:39 PM
I am a little confused here. The Saleen SC fits under the stock hood without any problems. In fact it is no higher then the stock intake. That is one of the reasons why I selected it...

Why would it not fit under the shaker...? :scratch:
Frank is correct... the Saleen SC sits between 1-1/2" and 2" higher than the stock manifold. As it is now, with the Shaker assembly attached to the stock manifold, it rubs the trim ring slightly. So IMO. there is zero room to play with... let alone over 1-1/2".

You can see the height difference of the two here... just look near the firewall.
Old 11/25/05, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by sranger@November 23, 2005, 8:00 AM
Well,

After reading everything I could on all of the new Superchargers for the 05, I decided to go with the Saleen SC. I placed the order about a week ago, and I am now playing the wating game.

It is not quite as powerfull as the Procharger & Vortec, but it seems to be more streetable in that it produces its hp at lower boost levels. Hopefully it will put less stress on the engine/trans as well. The tuner said 350-380rwhp is possible with the auto, but I will probably have him put the tune on the safe side vs max power, so I figure about 350rwhp is a reasonable expectation.

I could probably do the install myself, but decided to let a pro do it for me ( Modular Power House ) since I wanted a custom tune anyway. Also, they are only a few miles from my house. I would not run a SC on a new car without a custom tune. There are simply too many variable to trust a canned tune on a SC application in IMHO...

I'll update this tread as things progress.....
jeff, i have seem JDM's auto car run 11.8 in 1/4 mile. these guys know what there doing. i heard there going to have a article in an upcoming FF& mustang about a auto gt w/ supercharger done by JDM.
Old 11/25/05, 04:55 PM
smp

I would go with the custom tune with a local tuner you trust.
Also I found JDM customer service to suck.... i am still waiting for them to credit my card back for injectors i never got...
Old 11/25/05, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info, I can see that the saleen unit is higher at the rear than the stock intake. I though it was the same because the intake knozzle is at the same height as the stock unit, but it is clearly higher in the rear...

Well at least it will fit under the stock hood...

I do think that JDM knows what they are doing, but I am equally sure that MPH also does excellent work and they are less than 10 miles form the house. Kind of makes it a no brainer as to who to use...

I just wish the unit would get shipped from Saleen.
Old 11/26/05, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by smp@November 25, 2005, 6:58 PM
I would go with the custom tune with a local tuner you trust.
Also I found JDM customer service to suck.... i am still waiting for them to credit my card back for injectors i never got...
Good luck with the credit. I had a very hard time getting them to credit me for their screw up.
Old 1/4/06, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Update,

My dealer has the Saleen SC and is going to install it on Jan 12th and it will be tuned on January 13th....

I thought that having the car tuned on Friday the 13th is prefect....

My dealer is doing a dyno day event that weekend starting on friday. I should get some good videos and pics...

I let you guys know how it turns out....
Old 1/4/06, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by sranger@November 25, 2005, 9:13 PM
but I am equally sure that MPH also does excellent work and they are less than 10 miles form the house. Kind of makes it a no brainer as to who to use...

You got that right! I'm up in Maryland, but when the supercharger goes on my car, I will be shipping it down to MPH for their magic. For forced induction tunes on the mod motor, it doesn't get any better (or safer).
Old 1/4/06, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Price increased today on Saleen's web site to $5699.99 (up $700)
We knew this was coming...
Old 1/6/06, 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

help me out! i am planning on ordering the saleen charger. i am going to run it with a custom tune by mustang magic. no canned tunes for me. i am not going to mess with the pulley, leaving it the way it comes from saleen. do i need to buy injectors and a boost-a-pump?
Old 1/6/06, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

hey sranger, I may have to come see your car that day. How long did he say it would take?
Old 1/6/06, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by sranger@November 23, 2005, 8:00 AM
Well,

After reading everything I could on all of the new Superchargers for the 05, I decided to go with the Saleen SC. I placed the order about a week ago, and I am now playing the wating game.

It is not quite as powerfull as the Procharger & Vortec, but it seems to be more streetable in that it produces its hp at lower boost levels. Hopefully it will put less stress on the engine/trans as well. The tuner said 350-380rwhp is possible with the auto, but I will probably have him put the tune on the safe side vs max power, so I figure about 350rwhp is a reasonable expectation.

I could probably do the install myself, but decided to let a pro do it for me ( Modular Power House ) since I wanted a custom tune anyway. Also, they are only a few miles from my house. I would not run a SC on a new car without a custom tune. There are simply too many variable to trust a canned tune on a SC application in IMHO...

I'll update this tread as things progress.....
The Saleen is about $2K more then the Vortec, not sure its worth it...reason being is the labor is alot more intensive---
Old 1/6/06, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

The Saleen is about $2K more then the Vortec, not sure its worth it...
You are probably right, but I wanted the instant torque of the twin screw. It was worth the 2K to me...

hey sranger, I may have to come see your car that day. How long did he say it would take?
Tim did not say, he just said they would install the SC on Thursday and tune it on Friday. Due to work, I probably won't be able to be there until after 1:00-2:00pm

help me out! i am planning on ordering the saleen charger. u an going to run it with a custom tune by mustang magic. no canned tunes for me. i am not going to mess with the pulley, leaving it the way it comes from saleen. do i need to buy injectors and a boost-a-pump?
Well, my installer says that the 39lb injectors are a must. He does not think it will need a boost pump or larger mass air sensor with the stock pulley. I am sure he will let me know if they are needed after the tuning session is started on Friday.

I suspect that the stock pully and no other mods will result in about 350-380hp at the rear wheels with the auto trans...
Old 1/6/06, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MyFastGT@November 24, 2005, 10:37 PM
I have the Saleen S/C and am using the stock MAF with a 90mm MAF housing. My max voltage is 4.6 with no problems.

I have about 6lbs of boost and am getting 415hp to the wheels with a 11.5 A/F through out the dyno pull.
are u running stock injectors? which intake are you running? are u running it with the stock pulley?
Old 1/6/06, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was under the impression that if you're going to use the stock pulley for the Saleen kit, you don't need bigger injectors. I could be wrong though.

Jim from JDM told me over the phone that all that is necessary to run the 8 lb pulley (compared to the 4 lb stock), you need 39 lb injectors and bigger MAF. He said with that setup, you can run your daily driver all day and all night without worrying.

I'm still going to datalog my fuel pressure and also ask my tuner to keep an eye on it during tuning.
Old 1/6/06, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by sranger@January 6, 2006, 9:02 PM
You are probably right, but I wanted the instant torque of the twin screw. It was worth the 2K to me...
I want the power in any gear at any speed...

sranger, I'm stoked for ya. I'm getting mine installed at the end of the month, but till them, I'm going to live vicariously though you...so keep us posted with every little detail!!
Old 1/13/06, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Well,

The first numbers are in. It made 346rwhp, ( keep in mind that this is an auto ) but it pegged the Mass Air sensor way too early. As a result, my tuner went with a VERY conservative tune to keep every thing safe until the new sensor comes it.

I'll post the new numbers once I get the new sensor.

The blower is running the Stock Pulley ( 4psi ) with the 39lb injectors.

I have not even got a chance to drive it as the streets are too wet to properly set up the trans program.

It does look cool under the hood though....

Quick Reply: New Saleen SC on the way....