GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New MGW installed

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/17, 02:59 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
New MGW installed

The current MGW shifter is different from what TacoBill had for his Mustang, but I'm not sure what version this is. The main difference is in the rear bushing design and the shift thread design.

I slipped that stock rubber boot over the base of the MGW and once installed, I noticed it is squished against the floorpan. Is this normal?

I torqued the shift rod nut to 18 ft-lb and the front bolt to 30 ft-lb using a crow-foot adapter (never thought to use this before until it came to me).

Now the shifts are shorter than the Hurst and the sound is a deep solid "Thunk". However, lateral motion of the shifter is EXTREMELY stiff. I question myself whether I am in 1, 2, 5, or R gears... I re-used my stock shifter ****.

It still vibrates above 3000 RPM at WOT though. But the feel is a LOT better than stock or the Hurst.
Old 6/12/17, 08:51 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
It may be your parking brake handle doing the vibrating. Check out the video posted on the MGW website.

The shifter will loosen up a bit with use. I also installed a solid resin 2-1/8" shifter **** which helps with feel also.

Last edited by ZGrand; 6/12/17 at 09:00 AM.
Old 6/12/17, 09:02 AM
GTR Member

It's not the parking brake, it's coming from the shifter.
Old 6/24/17, 06:05 PM
GTR Member

I did buy the MGW classic ball shift ****. I liked how they designed/made the lock nut for the shifter, it resembles an OEM appearance like the ones they use on the S550's. Having the classic **** itself be larger than the Hurst/aftermarket was also a good thing. The MGW is just a really solid shifter!