GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

amsoil or royal purple

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/17, 04:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
amsoil or royal purple

Hello,
what s gonna do better for 08gt in your opinion ?

amsoil or royal purple

on manual transmission,gears and engine.
i ve read a few coments about royal purple that is gonna it gaskets on transmission?!?
Old 4/21/17, 10:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Mobil 1 or Motorcraft synthetic blend for Engine Oil. No need to really go fancier, IMO, it's what's called for, those are the only two I ever have run in her.

Gears and Tr3650 have Royal Purple in them. Synchromax for the trans, correct weight oil in the punkin. Had them upgraded at about 50K and 75K respectively.

Nearly 150K and no issues whatsoever. I drive her like I stole her, and she has no leaks, no drips, no errors... except that 1-2 shift thing sometimes, but that's near normal at this mileage and that trans.

*knocks on wood because not completely stupid and somewhat superstitious, but what are you gonna do*

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 4/21/17 at 10:59 PM.
Old 4/25/17, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use either Motorcraft full synthetic or Mobil one for the engine. Motorcraft for the trans and Torco 85w-140 Racing gear oil with Torco friction modifier for the rear end. I track the hell out of the car and no issues at all on engine, trans or diff ( I put in 3:73's myself)

No need for boutique oils in engine and trans. The only reason I put the Torco in was so the diff could withstand the abuse at the track. I really don't want to ever open the rear end again.
Old 7/7/17, 01:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that there are probably 4 main oils used out there. 1. Mobil 1, 2. Redline 3. Royal Purple and 4. Amsoil. I don't think you can go wrong on any of these. I think they all have a version for Tranny and rear gear. Just pick on that sticks in your mind and you will be fine.
Old 7/7/17, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
OP how often will you be changing your engine oil?
Old 7/7/17, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
After the initial break in period I've used nothing but Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. I routinely send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis and have never had a negative report.
Old 7/7/17, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I wouldn't use Royal Purple even in my lawn mower.

I use only Amsoil full synthetic oil in both my vehicles, and in both of wife's vehicles. The Mustangs get higher-grade synthetic, while the daily drivers get regular synthetic.
I am signed up as a Preferred Customer and but it directly off their site for much better prices than retail.
Old 7/7/17, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Gabe, what problems have you had with Royal Purple, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 7/7/17, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge
Gabe, what problems have you had with Royal Purple, if you don't mind my asking?
I've read enough about it to not ever try it.
I read it all a while ago, but if I remember correctly, it was their base that was leaving gunk behind.
It's not a top-quality oil in many enthusiasts' minds, and certainly not in mine.
I have my setup all set with Amsoil, I'm good with that.