GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New '08 GT/CS owner with exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/08, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New '08 GT/CS owner with exhaust questions

I'm back in the Mustang game after 6 long years of being without one. When I left off, I was getting ready to get MAC H-pipe with cats and I don't remember what cat-back system for my Cobra. Unfortunately, the Cobra went bye-bye before I placed that order.

Anywho, I've been doing some reading and viewing some YouTube clips with '05's-'08's with the FRPP GTA axle-back systems. I have to say this is just about the sound I'm hoping for, but maybe if it could be just a wee bit louder...

I'm basically looking for something that give our car a bit more volume and rumble, both at idle and while accelerating. I DO NOT want to have to deal with drone, and I MUST have cats on any H-pipe I'd buy. (I specifically want an H-pipe due to the deeper sound over the X-pipe). The reason I'm thinking of adding a hi-flow H-pipe in addition to the GTA's (as opposed to just getting different/louder mufflers) is so that we hopefully get a few more HP in the process. Does anyone have a sound clip or set up of their own with the GTA's and a catted aftermarket H-pipe? I can't seem to find any. Unless I'm blind...

Also, I'm new to the world of Axle-back systems. What pros and cons are there with axle-backs vs. cat-backs? I'm assuming the axle-backs would be cheaper and easier to install, but do they sacrifice on any possible HP gains due to not having the rest of the custom piping? Or is there really not much of a difference in the two?

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!

By the way, here's our new ride:

Old 9/4/08, 05:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I don't have much exhaust advice, but that's a nice ride! I remember when mine still looked like that.

However, I don't think there is much advantage, if any, from cat-backs vs. axle-backs on our cars . The exhaust system already flows pretty well. It's mostly about sound.

A hi-flo catted H-pipe should net you a few ponies. I believe a catless one nets about 8-10rwhp, so a hi-flo catted maybe somewhat lower than that. Again, it's mostly about sound.

Last edited by Rebel73; 9/4/08 at 05:57 PM.