GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/11, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some advice

I just graduated so I received a good amount of grad money. Im honestly looking into cams. I have a budget of 1200 or so. I have all basic bolt ons. But I'm torn. I was thinking rims but a cam would be sweat! Sorry for rambling, advice anyone? Opinions?
Old 7/8/11, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If it were me - I'd begin repaying those student loans! (assuming you just graduated from college)

Looking at your signature you've got some of the classics covered: CAI, tune, exhaust...

I'd skip the cams and go for a nice wheel/tire combo or a high quality suspension package to give you some more performance.

Personally, I prefer the ROUSH packages:

https://purespeedmotorsports.com/pro...05%252d2010%29

OR, Something a little more affordable from Steeda:

Old 7/8/11, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Detroit Rockers is the answer!!!
Old 7/8/11, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PureSpeedMotorsports
If it were me - I'd begin repaying those student loans! (assuming you just graduated from college)

Looking at your signature you've got some of the classics covered: CAI, tune, exhaust...

I'd skip the cams and go for a nice wheel/tire combo or a high quality suspension package to give you some more performance.

Personally, I prefer the ROUSH packages:

OR, Something a little more affordable from Steeda:
I actually thought about a suspension set up in a previous post. The thing is I'm not tracking my car. Its a dd that I like to have some fun in from time to time. Correct me if I'm wrong but with springs isn't it almost necessary to get shocks so you don't blow them?

And for the Detroit rockers, anyone have any experience with them? Likes, dislikes?
Old 7/8/11, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

zcgstang,

With springs, it's more the upper strut mounts that have issues as they tend to pop when used with lowering springs. The ROUSH kit I posted comes with replacement shocks and struts and, therefore, is all engineered to work together.

If there is anything else I can help you with let me know!

Steve
Old 7/8/11, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you purespeed
That kit includes everything? Sorry I.must have not caught that. Looks like a great kit I just don't k own if u can afford the install. Ivory done a lift on a truck but this looks a little more intimidating lol
Old 7/9/11, 12:36 PM

EDIT* Read my updated impression of PSM a few posts down. I left this post up because it did happen but Steve was very helpful and this post isnt that valid anymore.

Dont waste your time with this company. I emailed the company about the Saleen N2 shocks/struts and swaybar. I asked if they had a package like the 05+ but didnt get a response for a couple days so i emailed the owner and he sent a list of seperate prices. I emailed him back simply asking what the warraty was and if there was any discount he could throw my way if i bought a full set of shocks/struts/swaybar. A simple warranty period and yes or no to the discount wouldve been sufficient for a response and i wouldve picked the parts up even without and extra discount. The prices on the site were pretty good but i sent about 5 or 6 emails trying the email addresses and even the form on their website and didnt recieve a singe response in return over about 2 weeks time. I had my buddy ask a question about roush vs saleen shocks/struts and he got a response from the owner in less than an hour. I then checked their wesbite and noticed that their prices on the Saleen N2's were raised about $110 for a full set of shocks/struts. The owner probably did not want to honor the given prices and therefor ignored my emails . I would not trust the company with my business because if they ignore a potential customer, just imagine what they will do after they actually get your money.

Side note - I left a comment on their facebook page stating my experience with the company and they removed it right away . The comment was not an attack but just stating my disappointment with the customer service to make potential customers aware of them. If a company cant take a little criticism, they are a joke in my book.

Im sure this will be pulled down fast as well because surely PSM has a spotless reputation ....but hopefully some members will read this before then so they can at least use caution when doing business with them

Last edited by 4.6sonicB; 7/15/11 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 7/10/11, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zcgstang
Thank you purespeed
That kit includes everything? Sorry I.must have not caught that. Looks like a great kit I just don't k own if u can afford the install. Ivory done a lift on a truck but this looks a little more intimidating lol
Not a problem! It does include everything and although it may look a little intimidating, it can easily be a DIY project! Do some searching around on the forums for suspension installs and there is a bunch of great info.

Here's a helpful Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtczXhVnPvs

Steve
Old 7/10/11, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 4.6sonicB
Dont waste your time with this company. I emailed the company about the Saleen N2 shocks/struts and swaybar. I asked if they had a package like the 05+ but didnt get a response for a couple days so i emailed the owner and he sent a list of seperate prices. I emailed him back simply asking what the warraty was and if there was any discount he could throw my way if i bought a full set of shocks/struts/swaybar. A simple warranty period and yes or no to the discount wouldve been sufficient for a response and i wouldve picked the parts up even without and extra discount. The prices on the site were pretty good but i sent about 5 or 6 emails trying the email addresses and even the form on their website and didnt recieve a singe response in return over about 2 weeks time. I had my buddy ask a question about roush vs saleen shocks/struts and he got a response from the owner in less than an hour. I then checked their wesbite and noticed that their prices on the Saleen N2's were raised about $110 for a full set of shocks/struts. The owner probably did not want to honor the given prices and therefor ignored my emails . I would not trust the company with my business because if they ignore a potential customer, just imagine what they will do after they actually get your money.

Side note - I left a comment on their facebook page stating my experience with the company and they removed it right away . The comment was not an attack but just stating my disappointment with the customer service to make potential customers aware of them. If a company cant take a little criticism, they are a joke in my book.

Im sure this will be pulled down fast as well because surely PSM has a spotless reputation ....but hopefully some members will read this before then so they can at least use caution when doing business with them
4.6sonicB -

I'm sorry to hear of your communication problems. I remember replying to the email you sent me in regards to the Saleen shocks and struts and apologize if I did not get back to another email you had sent off to me. A few weeks back we had a server crash during a server migration and had some major technical problems for about 10 days afterwards which have all been taken care of.

We like to respond to emails within 24 hours - as your friend saw with a response within the hour. For any inconvenience I apologize.

If there is anything that I can do for you going forward please let me know and, I noticed this was your first post so let me be the first to welcome you to TMS! You'll find lots of good info and folks here.

Best regards,

Steve
Old 7/11/11, 08:42 AM
GT Member

dont waste your money on an expensive suspension "package" unless you are going to the track and auto xing or something like that. just get lowering springs and be done. i say get some wheels and lower it.
Old 7/11/11, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't see delete plates in your sig. Might want to consider some of those before moving up to a cams after that I personally would do upper and lower control arms and better rear tires.
Old 7/14/11, 06:53 PM

Everyone deserves a second chance. Steve, I'll send you an email tonight with a few questions i have. Thanks.
Old 7/15/11, 07:06 AM

You are eventually going to want a new suspension pack if you are beefing up car with HP and Torque. Steeda has the Handling Pak pretty well priced. You can check it out on their website Steeda.com http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-h...d-mustang.html

Might as well dip into the credit card and get it all at the same time!! Student loans can wait 6 months to be paid back, might as well have fun for the time being!

Congrats on graduating! Now that the 4-5 years is over, go have fun!!!
Old 7/15/11, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by needforspeed
You are eventually going to want a new suspension pack if you are beefing up car with HP and Torque. Steeda has the Handling Pak pretty well priced. You can check it out on their website Steeda.com http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-h...d-mustang.html

Might as well dip into the credit card and get it all at the same time!! Student loans can wait 6 months to be paid back, might as well have fun for the time being!

Congrats on graduating! Now that the 4-5 years is over, go have fun!!!
I agree completely. I think for the money, the Steeda Stage 1 Kits are a great bang for the buck! You can read up on them here:

zcgstang or anyone else, if you're interested in the Steeda Stage 1 kit shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with a forum discount.

Steve
Old 7/15/11, 09:19 PM

I would like to update my experience with PSM. I got in touch with Steve last night/today and he was the first person who could actually give me a confident answer with info between two products I was stuck between. He did nto try to push a sale on his end and actually pointed me towards the direction of the part that he doesnt even carry. I would like to say that I did over react to the situation a little bit and while I did not do business with Steve yet, he was very helpful. I will be purchasing from PSM very soon.
Old 7/16/11, 09:09 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by zcgstang
I just graduated so I received a good amount of grad money. Im honestly looking into cams. I have a budget of 1200 or so. I have all basic bolt ons. But I'm torn. I was thinking rims but a cam would be sweat! Sorry for rambling, advice anyone? Opinions?
Hey i'm actually trying to sell some rims they are black bullitt wheels with a chrome lip around the outside i also have tires to go with them if your interested just PM me...also if your going cams check the ***** Thumper Comp cams im having them installed now on my car and they sound awesome from hearing them on other cars and they are supposed to have a nice HP increase
Old 7/29/11, 02:48 PM
V6 Member

Just wanted to offer my two cents. Lots of talk sofar about suspension upgrades and wheels. In my opinion Steeda has the best options for suspension upgrades, but thats not why I weighing in. If you decide to go with cams BE CARFUL! most of the cams I researched actually hurt low end power and torque and only make decent gains above 5500 RPM's. I actually gave up on cams as I was looking for power increases across the board.