GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need a little fuse help

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/10, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Need a little fuse help

I installed my TCI auto shifter today. That install went great...no problems. But when I was putting the center console back in where the switch is for my SLP linelocks is I noticed I had lost power to the switch. I pulled the power to this switch from the powerport in the center console armrest. I pulled the plug to the powerport and I have no power to it either. And yes I have the ignition on. So I figure I must have popped a fuse somewhere. The owners manual is useless to find a specific fuse like this. I suspect it is the passenger side foot kick panel but I am not sure. Everything else in the car seems to work. Very weird. Anyone know where the fuse for this powerport is??

Thanks Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 1/17/10 at 02:53 PM.
Old 1/17/10, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
It's been a long time but it seems to me when I blew a fuse in the upper power outlet (the one between the vents) that it was a fuse under the hood..... pretty sure it was but again it's been a few years LOL.
Old 1/17/10, 02:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
It's been a long time but it seems to me when I blew a fuse in the upper power outlet (the one between the vents) that it was a fuse under the hood..... pretty sure it was but again it's been a few years LOL.

I can't even figure out why I would have blown a fuse. I disconnected the battery as instructed. Had no issues with the install at all except this which is really unrelated. That power plug is dead and I even took apart my tap to see if it was the problem and there is no power there either. Weird to say the least. I will go check to see if I have power in the upper power port. I would think they would be on the same power source.

Edit...I have power in the upper power port between the air ducts so I have to assume they are not on the same circuit.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 1/17/10 at 02:52 PM.
Old 1/19/10, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I decided tonight since no one seemed to have an answer on where to find the fuse that powers the power port in the console armrest to do it the hard way. Just start pulling fuses. Started in the passenger kick panel. Pulled them all and no luck. Moved to the SJB under the hood. Started at the rear and worked foward and wouldn't you know it....the last 20 amp fuse in the front on the SJB is blown. Don't know why but it is. Of course I don't have any replacements but I will tomorrow.
Old 1/20/10, 11:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checkout this link...

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~81663
Old 1/22/10, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
glad you found the problem
Old 1/22/10, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium

Thanks Jed. Wish I had that last weekend. I did it the old fashion way.....Just pulled every **** fuse in the car until I found the bas!ard.
Old 1/23/10, 09:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Thanks Jed. Wish I had that last weekend. I did it the old fashion way.....Just pulled every **** fuse in the car until I found the bas!ard.
I did the same think when I installed my Bluetooth device. That kind of stuff is never around when you need it and most shop manuals aren't much help either glad you got it worked out. It turned out in my case that all the fuses were good but my battery was dead.
Old 1/25/10, 03:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Guys,
I have got a new fuse blown tonight. I wish I knew what the he!! was going on. I have done nothing to the wiring. Only installed a TCI shifter. First it was the fuse to the powerport in the armrest. I went out tonight to start the car and let the motor warm up and I noticed that now my Aeroforce gauges are not working. They receive their power thru the port under the dash that all our tuners plug into. I tried my tuner and it also doesn't work. Once again the Ford manual and the link that Jed posted earlier for me in the thread are not specific enough. Anyone know where this fuse is???Or do I find it the old fashion way again and just start pulling them all?? I have no idea what is causing the fuses to blow.
Old 1/25/10, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

The owners manual is useless to find a specific fuse like this.
I don't get how you think the owners manual is useless to find a specific fuse. It states very clearly in the Roadside Emergencies section under fuses, power distribution box, page 172 - Fuse location 64 -20A - Power Point #2 (Console). How much more specific do you need it to be? There is even a picture to show you where it is located.
Old 1/25/10, 04:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hawgman
I don't get how you think the owners manual is useless to find a specific fuse. It states very clearly in the Roadside Emergencies section under fuses, power distribution box, page 172 - Fuse location 64 -20A - Power Point #2 (Console). How much more specific do you need it to be? There is even a picture to show you where it is located.
Granted. That is where the first blown fuse was Hawgman. But that is not the fuse I am asking about now. What fuse powers the port where our tuners and diagnostics plug into next to your left knee? I do not see anything that look obvious to me. I am eyeing fuse #8 in the passenger kick panel. Says it is for the Cluster, Data Link Connector. Is that was that plug is called??

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 1/25/10 at 06:23 PM.
Old 1/27/10, 04:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geeeez Scott, one would think I was at your house helping you with the install for the two problems you had (although slightly easier/less stressful fix than mine). Glad you figured out #1, im sure someone can chime in on #2. Searching/looking to see if I can help you out..
Old 1/27/10, 04:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am eyeing fuse #8 in the passenger kick panel. Says it is for the Cluster, Data Link Connector. Is that was that plug is called??
Just to be a smart #$@, I thought I would say..If that fuse is blown, its the one.
Old 1/27/10, 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
probably the tci shifter causing you these problems. You should take it back out and send it to me for testing
Old 1/27/10, 08:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
Just to be a smart #$@, I thought I would say..If that fuse is blown, its the one.

It was that fuse that was blown and I replaced it last night and all is fine again. But I have no idea why they would have blown. I even disconnected the battery like the TCI install says. No sparks, arcs involved so beats me. But it fine now.

Originally Posted by Glenn
probably the tci shifter causing you these problems. You should take it back out and send it to me for testing

I can always count on you Glenn!!