GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need help with R&R'ing the rear springs...

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/05, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have the detailed steps on how to remove the rear springs on my '05 GT? I did a search and there are really no detailed steps anywhere....this is one area I've never dealt with B4 and looking under the car - there is no "obvious" way to remove them.....I even removed the trunk liner and didnt see anything there either......

Anyone able to lend a hand...or "pen" as it is?

T.I.A. :scratch:

I even consulted the Helms shop manual for my 2000 GT (still have it) and it is not clear how to remove the rear springs either?????
Old 4/29/05, 08:39 PM
FR500 Member

Bradley... I sent you an e-mail. Sorry, I would have replied quicker but I just got home and signed on. But, it's never too late to work on your Mustang, especially on a Friday night. I personally do my best modding at night.
Old 4/29/05, 08:47 PM
FR500 Member

Also, here is a guide to install rear springs by adrenalin:

Lets start with the rear. Raise the car up and put it on jack stands. While on jack stands keep floor jack under differential and remove lower bolts from both passenger and drivers side shocks. Slowly lower the jack. Shocks should now be only connected at the top. Place Jack under passenger side A-pilar (if that is what it is even called, basically where the shock connected) and raise it up until the car is about to lift off the jack stand. Have a buddy push down on the driver side tire with his foot. You can now pull the spring out of the drivers side and pop in the new one. Lower the jack and repeat on the other side. Once done place jack back on differential and raise it up so you can easily reconnect the shocks. Remove jack stands and lower car. Rear springs are now installed.

This might be more help than what I sent you.
Old 4/29/05, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually just to make it a one person show undo the rear sway bar bolts along with the shock bolts and they will almost fall out.

Thanks Mike
Old 4/29/05, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I will be posting a write up this wekend (with pics), but one step missing from above is to remove the brakcet hding the brake lines to the frame. Otherwise you will pull the lines out when you lower the axle.
Old 4/29/05, 10:55 PM
Cobra Member

disconnect the rear shocks, jack the rear of the car up, place it on jack stands, the springs will be very easy to get out. just push up on the springs and knock em off their seats. about a 20 minute job.
Old 4/30/05, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2MFF@April 29, 2005, 9:58 PM
I will be posting a write up this wekend (with pics), but one step missing from above is to remove the brakcet hding the brake lines to the frame. Otherwise you will pull the lines out when you lower the axle.

Turned out to be a piece of cake!! Just jacked her up, supported the rear end with a floor jack, removed the lower shock and sway bar tie rod bolts and it eased right down! Although, you have me curious now about the brake line brackets....going to have to go check them out to make sure all is OK......didn't notice any binding when I lowerd the rear end though?

Thanks to Ian and John for the late night guidance so I could finish this last night
Old 4/30/05, 08:40 PM
FR500 Member

Bradley, I remember those now. I had to take it off on one side but not the other. If it had been a problem, I'm sure you would have seen it, since the brake lines are right there in plain view. Nothing to worry about I'm sure. By the way, I'd love to see some pics. This is still one of my favorite mods tha I've done. Not only because it was free and fairly easy, but it's a really nice but subtle change.