GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: Which exhaust has the best perfomance & sound?
Magnaflow
2.27%
Corsa
34.09%
Flowmaster
38.64%
Borla
25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Need help-which exhaust?!

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/06, 09:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help-which exhaust?!

Hi all, looking into some exhaust systems for my GT. Looking at these 4 the closest. I realize that flowmaster is the cheapest, but im willing to pay more for a better product. I am eyeing Magnaflow and Corsa the most I think. I like Magnaflow's stated hp gains and Corsa's No-Drone feature. I know there are others so if there are any others you think are worth a look let me know. I am looking for both performance gains and sound quality. Thanks for your help.
Old 6/24/06, 12:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

corsa, or borla if you dont wanna spend the $$$... and I am assuiming you are talking stingers.
Old 6/24/06, 12:45 AM
Cobra Member

Borla or Flowmaster.
Old 6/24/06, 12:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Happy with my Flowmasters
Old 6/24/06, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like Flowmaster is the most popular... Strange, I hardly hear anything bout them round here, but all kinds of stuff about Borlas.
Old 6/24/06, 02:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flowmasters are great. I get lots of compliments.
Old 6/24/06, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
You have to consider your budget..........

Flowmaster is great......if you want your car to sound like alot of other people's cars. And they do drone, I've heard it myself, unless you change up your mid-pipe and do something other than the stock H pipe. But likely then, you'll get that dreaded trumpeting that most people complain about, right around 2500 rpm.

If it fits your budget and you want a system that absolutely gives you NO DRONE, buy the Corsa system. I was a long-time Borla fan and they make great stuff too, but for these cars they drone right around cruising RPM. Corsa does not. The only downfall is the price- depends on your budget.
Old 6/24/06, 05:23 PM
V6 Member

I like the sound of the FRPP stingers (Borla) much better but was leaning to the Flowmaster At's, as I am affraid of the drone.
Now after spending 4 days solid in every forum I can I am hearing they drone as well.
So how much compared to the FRPP/ Borlas?
Does having a JLT from Bama effect it @ all?

I am not trying to Hi-Jack your thread I have the same questions and figured I would keep them together in 1 post.

Thanks, MIke
Old 6/24/06, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ecko51
I like the sound of the FRPP stingers (Borla) much better but was leaning to the Flowmaster At's, as I am affraid of the drone.
Now after spending 4 days solid in every forum I can I am hearing they drone as well.
So how much compared to the FRPP/ Borlas?
Does having a JLT from Bama effect it @ all?

I am not trying to Hi-Jack your thread I have the same questions and figured I would keep them together in 1 post.

Thanks, MIke
no problem, yeah i was kinda thinking corsa but still not sure. does anyone know how they compare as far as hp gains go. Also where is the cheapest place to buy exhaust? thanx.
Old 6/24/06, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love my flowmasters. The drone is bareable deffinetly not annoying to me. They are easy to install and easy to get. I cant wait to hear how they sound with FRPP headers and Magna xpipe's. Anyone have the same setup?
Old 6/24/06, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Corsa claims 13 hp and 9 ft/lbs. I think they sound pretty good... http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm

My favorite example of them is the Livernois Mustang that Motor Trend tested on the standing mile.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...gk=142&t=rides

Check out the videos at the bottom...I think it sounds pretty wicked with the Kooks headers/catted midpipe.
Old 6/25/06, 04:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bingo
Corsa claims 13 hp and 9 ft/lbs. I think they sound pretty good... http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm

My favorite example of them is the Livernois Mustang that Motor Trend tested on the standing mile.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...gk=142&t=rides

Check out the videos at the bottom...I think it sounds pretty wicked with the Kooks headers/catted midpipe.
Does anyone have Corsas, if so whats your personal opionion on them. bingo, what is that bannana riding in ur avatar
Old 6/25/06, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe it's a llama.
Old 6/25/06, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by s281sc
Does anyone have Corsas, if so whats your personal opionion on them. bingo, what is that bannana riding in ur avatar
Yes I have Corsa, and I couldn't be happier. They are fairly quiet at idle, dead silent at cruising rpm, have absolutely no drone or resonance, and at WOT............

They get people's attention!
Old 6/26/06, 09:00 AM
Cobra R Member

flowmaster for quiet, borla for louder, borla and ford racing are the same, and frpp is cheaper, so I would buy the frpp, and be satisfied. You are going to get drone on all of them. flowmaster I think is the quietest as far as drone from what I have heard. But they are quieter all around. So not much of an upgrade from stock.
Old 6/26/06, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sodaman, the Flowmasters are big change from stock. Much deeper throater sound especially on WOT. Except for performance numbers decision on exhaust would have to be someones own personal choice on what they want there car to sound like. We all have a sound in our head which we want our car to sound like. Changing the mufflers may or may not get that sound. As alot of posters will say they have tried alot of combinations to find the sound they enjoy and the performance they want.

So to anyone looking for mufflers, dont just take peoples word for it. Go find someone with them and listen to them for yourself. Not just at idle you need to listen to them while the car is being driven and rpms are up under acceleration.
Old 6/26/06, 10:09 AM
Cobra R Member

I went back and forth like you did. I went with flowmasters for the price difference. I could get them to the door for under 300.00. The CHEAPEST magnaflows were just about 150.00 more. Same for the borla's. The HP gains were similar, and I liked the sound. The magna's were better sounding but not for a 1/3 more. You can spend the difference on a set of pulleys and gain more hp. I have not seen much bang for the buck with aftermarket exhaust/header combos for the money spent. IF I go with a S/C or a new set of heads and cam set up, I will re think headers and hi flow cats.
Old 6/26/06, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

HP gain? The only axle back that I know of that even advertises a gain is Corsa. A baffled muffler like Flowmaster (which is similar to stock) isn't going to give you any gain. When it comes to mufflers for this car, you buy them for sound...and frankly I don't think the Flowmasters sound that different from stock. Plus they've had some quality problems...
Old 6/26/06, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I've been loving my FRPP (Borla Stingers) ever since I've gotten them so my vote goes for the FRPP's.
Old 6/26/06, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Yes I have Corsa, and I couldn't be happier. They are fairly quiet at idle, dead silent at cruising rpm, have absolutely no drone or resonance, and at WOT............

They get people's attention!
If you dont mind me asking, how much did u pay and where did u get them, thanx.

Quick Reply: Need help-which exhaust?!