Search this Thread

Old 3/10/14, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing cams!

I need help choosing what cams to add to the car. My choice in cams are:
-comp thumprs
-frpp hot rod cams
-Brenspeed detroit rockers

I am looking for a lopey idle but not like a tin can sound. They will be paired with stock manifolds, offroad h and borla stingers. Im located in Canada and csn get comp cams here for $699, frpps for $749 and detroit rockers ill have to order from the states so there will be shipping cost and they are $799. Any advice and/or experience is apprecited!
Old 3/10/14, 08:20 PM

No help here guys?
Old 3/11/14, 05:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say go for the hot rods, are you email tuning or dyno tuning?
Hot rods sound great and have been proven to give 20-30hp with a good tuner.
I've heard good things about detroit rockers as well BUT If you're going to get a dyno tune brenspeed doesn't give out the specs for their detroit rocker cams. (super top secret) for some reason so your tuner will have to "make guesses".

Personally I wouldn't put an internal engine part in my car with unknown specs but that's just me. Locks you into their tune and their tune only.

Last edited by fdjizm; 3/11/14 at 05:06 AM.
Old 3/11/14, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 08 GT, I installed longtube ceramic headers,straight pipe,intake and tuned it,I thought I had wasted my money ,after installing the Detroit Rockers It made a big difference, after that installed more stuff bolt ons and went for a Supercharger( centri ) and the sound is awsome and had never had any problem with them with stalling or that they didnt want to start the motor , I used brenspeed tune and went to a dyno shop and they got 5 hp more out of my car, but that was only because the adjusted for the weather that day,so email tunes do work if you go exactly what they recommend, and with not having the specs, nothing to worry, they promise you numbers and street rideability and thats what you get!!! So Detroit Rockers all the way
Old 3/11/14, 09:29 PM

I have ***** Thumprs on my 06 GT and absolutely love them. Minimal low end torque loss and huge gains after 3000rpm. Plus the sound is lopey as hell. A lot of people say the Thumprs aren't a good choice because of driveability problems but if it's tuned right and you have at least 3.73 gears, you'll have no problems at all. I daily drive mine everyday with traffic and have no issues. It's all about the tune.

Last edited by bullsguy; 3/11/14 at 09:34 PM.
Old 3/22/14, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I'd say go for the hot rods, are you email tuning or dyno tuning?
Hot rods sound great and have been proven to give 20-30hp with a good tuner.
I've heard good things about detroit rockers as well BUT If you're going to get a dyno tune brenspeed doesn't give out the specs for their detroit rocker cams. (super top secret) for some reason so your tuner will have to "make guesses".

Personally I wouldn't put an internal engine part in my car with unknown specs but that's just me. Locks you into their tune and their tune only.
I agree with this simply because you are in Canada. I know and trust the guys at Brenspeed and if I had an issue I would drive over there, let them adjust the car, and stay in their guest facility and drink beer with my friends.

If you go FRPP and you go to ANY tuner that has some clue, you should be fine.
Old 4/6/15, 07:13 PM

Curious as to what you ended up going with. I have an O/R H and borla stingers as well. Have been thinking about the FRPP hot rods