GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

NEED HELP!! car stalled. bamachips tune..reflash causing problem????

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/07, 11:25 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP!! car stalled. bamachips tune..reflash causing problem????

alright well i have a 2005 mustang GT...5speed. i have the bamachips tune with the JLT intake. anyways heres my problem. its happened before. i reflash my car with the 93 torque. soo im driving and i give her alittle gas, throw it into neutral and the RPM's start bouncing then the car stalls out while driving. after a few days it seemed like the car adjusted and the RPM's got steady and it never happened...i kept the initial torque tune in for a while.

flash forward to 2 weeks ago:
im going to the track and i reflash to the race tune. soo im racing and a finish my run and im braking and the car shuts off!! soo i have to throw it into gear for it to start back up again. it seemed a few times @ WOT the car would stall when id put it into neutral...

flash forward to tonight:
race tune installed. im driving home and when i put it into neutral, RPM's bounce and stalls. i do it again and it stalls. soo i get ****ed, pulled over and reflashed to the torque tune. i continue driving. i put it into neutral, the RPM's bounce, level off and then continue fine. then........i open her up a bit down the highway and again neutral, RPM's bounce, stall....soooo i throw it into 5th, it goes back on....neutral, revv the engine, rpm's settle and stay idle...i have no idea what in gods name is going on someone please help!!!!!

cars got 25000 miles on it, no leaks no nothing...im just sooo confused on whats up...last time this happened, it did this once then never again til i reflashed 2 weeks ago?????

the search feature wasnt working...could it be the throttle body?? im afraid to take it to the dealer if its tuned...i have no idea what to dooooo
Old 11/27/07, 11:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I would go back to stock, and see if the problem persists. If it continues, it will likely be less noticeable. I think the aftermarket tunes seem to exaggerate problems with stalling and such.

If problems persist in stock form, take it to the dealer.
If problems dissapear, talk to Doug.
Old 11/27/07, 11:40 PM
Cobra Member

Well although I dont know what the problem is, Id suggest cleaning the TB. Re-flash to stock, disconnect battery for a lil while, connect and flash back to whatever tune u want. then give it a try. I'm assuming your running 93+ octane?

other than that, try to call doug tomorrow. seems the best times are near the end of his work day. other than that, you will most likely get a voicemail that u can barely hear.
Old 11/27/07, 11:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Also check your throttle body and see if it is dirty. I cleaned mine a while back and totally solved my idle issues.
Old 11/28/07, 08:36 AM
FR500 Member

alright im going to give my throttle body a clean and if that doesnt work im gonna try the other suggestions...anyone have any suggestions how to clean the throttle body??
Old 11/28/07, 10:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just used a clean shop towel. Some others prefer to spray it with TB cleaner to help loosen the gunk. Do NOT use carb/choke cleaner.

I found it was easier to remove the TB and then I could work the butterflies open and get all the gunk I could.
Old 11/29/07, 12:06 AM
FR500 Member

well i didnt clean the TB yet but today i didnt stall...on my way home from work u can see the headlights dim and the heat kinda get weak as the RPM's varied...at this point...im thinking it might not be the tune. ive never cleaned the TB 25,100+ miles into ownership...ill see if that fixes it. BUT TODAY, NO STALL AT ALL!! soo thats a plus. but ill clean the TB, if that doesnt work then ill try and disconnect the battery, and lastly, dealer if worst comes to worse
Old 11/29/07, 12:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds like a plan! I am betting on the dirty TB, but we'll see!!
Old 11/29/07, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Please keep us updated. I need to file this info for my future reference.
Old 11/29/07, 05:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
There's a pretty good thread here somewhere about cleaning the throttle body , I'm don't remember exactly but I think it was Doug at Bama chips who posted it. He also recommended some cleaners for it and the mass air meter. I cleaned both when I did it ...
Old 11/30/07, 10:25 AM
FR500 Member

ill keep u updated im going to be cleaning it tomorrow on saturday
Old 12/1/07, 12:32 AM
FR500 Member

also...should i disconnect the battery and let it reset after i clean the TB??

or should i just clean it and re-load the tune??

or should i disconnect the battery, clean, reconnect it, re-load the tune??
Old 12/1/07, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

on my way home from work u can see the headlights dim and the heat kinda get weak as the RPM's varied...at this point...im thinking it might not be the tune.
have you experienced the lights dim before..... go into more detail.... headlights,radio or instrument panel, your problem sounds like it could something other than TB or tune.
Old 12/1/07, 10:48 AM
FR500 Member

nope only with this issue i have. the other electronics r fine the radio and intrument panel dont change they stay the same during the varying rpm's...it just seems with the varying RPM's that the heat and headlights got alittle weak when it got near 500rpms...but then when the rpms get regular, and when im driving...its all completely fine

im gonna clean the TB then see if its still there
Old 12/1/07, 12:08 PM
FR500 Member

well i have an update....i cleaned my throttle body. i didnt expect big results. but heres what i found.

well the problem is fixed!! i am amazed. 25k miles and the TB was FILTHY!!!! i cleaned everything i cleaned around the butterflies and the butterflies themselves...i used hot water. i REFLASHED the same tune i had in just in case. anyway i took it for a spin and heres what i noticed:

ALOT smoother start-up
smoother RPM decline after start-up
steady RPM's
...i revved it when it got to normal operating temperatures and the rpms did not drop and the engine had no hesitation

driving:
slower steady dropping rpm's (which im not used to because i had no idea it was normally like that)
BETTER SMOOTHER SHIFTS, LESS NOTCHY (5 speed)
waaaay better, smoother, and alittle more powerful and consistant acceleration
no throttle hesitation throughout RPM's
MOST IMPORTANTLY ***NO STALLING OR BOUNCING RPM's***

i wish i could have done a write up but its sooo easy. anyways this is a MUST if anyone is having this problem and its soooo simple but it works amazingly, you will notice a difference. im in love again!!

thanks for the help!!!!!!
Old 12/1/07, 01:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

I knew there would be a big difference! Glad it cured the problem.
Old 12/1/07, 01:46 PM
FR500 Member

u know im just glad that was the problem...its just a must...it runs soooo much better....im gonna look into an oil separator and im gonna clean the TB again after the winter soo it doesnt happen again
Old 12/1/07, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

yes... an oil separator is a must, even for NA cars. you will be suprised how much blow-by gets into the intake....espically when you drive hard.
Old 12/1/07, 10:39 PM
FR500 Member

haha i found that out today...its nasty
Old 12/1/07, 11:38 PM
Cobra Member

Awesome. Glad that was it..

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!! car stalled. bamachips tune..reflash causing problem????