GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

My 4.10 Gear Change Story For Today...

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/05, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I called Leonard's Performance of Taunton, MA yesterday, Ed's other mechanic said the job would be $450 total in cash for the 4.10 Ford racing Gears. So, I went to my local ATM, withdrew $500 just in case I needed a little extra and headed to Taunton to get the job done. When I got there Ed wasn't there so I checked with his other mechanic that the price was $450 before he started working on my car. He agreed and started working on it. 3 Hours later Ed tells me that my car is done, and the price is $550 cash. I tell him his assistant told me just 3 hours ago that the price was $450 cash. Hmmmmmm, I think a 25% increase in just 3 hours time. So I confront him of the fact that his website says $450 also and that you had mentioned paying $500 last week. He went around in circles about using synthetic fluid and that he broke a bearing on my car which was $20 etc, trying to make me feel I wasn't getting screwed paying $100 more than I was quoted 3 hours before that same day. We finally settled on $525 cash. The gears came out fine, no noises, so in that sense I'm satisfied but for the money matter, I have to be honest, I'll find someone else, which is unfortunate as they were so close.
:notnice: :bang:
Old 8/25/05, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's wrong. Was that for just installation or gears also?
Old 8/25/05, 06:31 PM

That was for the gears and the labor.
Old 8/25/05, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Changing the price after it is done is so shady...I hate that stuff. Tell me its $500 and I'll pay it, but don't tell me it's $400, then jack the price up later...frickin people...
Old 8/25/05, 06:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Report him to the better business bureau. Sooner or later, what comes around goes around. :notnice:
Old 8/25/05, 06:49 PM
GTR Member

Sue him
Old 8/25/05, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I second reporting him to the BBB. I also get an estimate before any work is done on my car. You shouldn't have to pay extra because he broke something.
Old 8/25/05, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
In illinois you can llegally go 15% over any estimate. Dumb id say, but what a gonna do.
Old 8/26/05, 10:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
and that he broke a bearing on my car
Why do you have to pay for what he breaks. You didn't break it.

That is like him say, oh, I broke your car, I am going to charge you $25,000 to get a new one.
Old 8/26/05, 10:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 words:

GET IT IN WRITING!!
Old 8/26/05, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As per the bbb, they have almost no power. If your business is a member they will do arbitration in the event of a problem (assuming the complaining party is ok with it). Other than that if someone calls the bbb and says, hey bob's auto ripped me off, they will have a record of it, and will say well....we've had a couple of complaints.

I have been a member of my local bbb and it seemed pretty much like a scam. If you join us, we'll protect you and your good name, if you don't there could be some bad feed back in your future. The last couple of years I pretty much tell them I'm not interested......
Old 8/26/05, 11:49 AM

Yeah, the BBB is kind of a scam in my opinion. It is basically a directory that you pay to have your business listed in, so not the most objective service. I've owned several retail and service related businesses and the best thing a consumer can do is PAY FOR EVERYTHING WITH A CREDIT CARD.

Most major credit cards will protect a consumer against this very type of behavior. If you do a "charge back" and back it up with documentation you will win the case 99% of the time. At the very least, you will cost this guy hundreds of dollars in time and money to fight it.
Old 8/26/05, 12:20 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think most of you are missing the point. He kept saying the word CASH so I assume that means you did not get a receipt. If that is the case there is no way a person can prove that they even did the work on the car. Paying CASH and not getting a receipt is for the benefit of the shop owner. Some think "Hey, I'll save myself a bit of money if I don't need a receipt" however you end up paying in the end if you have a problem with the work. You can't complain to the BBB because as far as they are concerned your car was never at the shop.

Sounds like you did get ripped off. They agreed to a price and then changed it on you after the fact. I'd never do business with them again. You shouldn't have paid for something they broke either. That is just crazy.
Old 8/26/05, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

i agree I wouldnt use them again...but when you do find a good shop in ma let me know....I have been looking for a good reliable shop in ma
Old 8/26/05, 01:34 PM

I agree with all of your posts especially the cash part. Seemed like a good idea at the time saving about $50, but it really leaves me no discourse. Oh well, as we all know in business, the bad rep he's getting just off these posts is far worse than the $75 he got me for. In fact, I found his shop based upon another forums thread. All of these posts are listed in search engines, so the more people that look at these posts, the higher rank they receive in the search engines. He'll be having repurcussions of this deal gone South for a long time...............
Old 8/26/05, 03:24 PM
Cobra R Member

I just hate those people that take advantage of others. Makes me want kick him you know where. Unfortunately the world is full of no good Tass holes. Glad you brought this shop to our attantion.
I purchased the gears myself and the install cost was 150.
Old 9/2/05, 04:37 PM

Talking

I am have trouble getting my 410 gears set to have no whine noise. What is the proper lash range that most people is setting the pinion depth?
Old 9/2/05, 05:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I would have thrown 500 in his face...in front of his employee...

Jump in the car, and leave a huge f'n patch right in front of his shop!!
Then stop, if he had a problem, bring it..
Im not talkin' crap either, thats a shady person,let him take the first shot..
Old 9/2/05, 08:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Believe it or not a walking picket is very effective but not on his property. Carry a large sign. At least thirty inches square Been there done that. Take a buddy with a video camera is case he really gets pissed. You were ripped to the highest degree.
Old 9/2/05, 08:19 PM

What the heck are you talking about? I asked a simple question on the already running post about 410 gears. You two “Greek and Mongoose” seemed to have jumped somebody’s shi? With my simple post.

I look to this forum for information. I have a guy at a ford dealership that is very willing to help me on his own time to help set the lash on the 410 gears that I installed in my 05 GT. We are having a small wine at 90mph that WE would like to correct. Reason why I posted my question “I am have trouble getting my 410 gears set to have no whine noise. What is the proper lash range that most people is setting the pinion depth?

Lighten up. I will post the question on another forum.

Tim
:angry:

Quick Reply: My 4.10 Gear Change Story For Today...