GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Muffler Suggestions For Use w/Kooks LT's

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/08, 10:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler Suggestions For Use w/Kooks LT's

Can anyone out there suggest a muffler that will compliment the Kooks LT's and Catted H-Pipe? I currently have Flowmasters on the car and don't want it to be overly loud. A little louder is okay.

Jon
Old 2/3/08, 12:25 PM
GT Member

i'm not quite sure exactly how loud the flows are but i would recommend either borla stingers for the pypes mid muffler system
Old 2/3/08, 03:06 PM
Cobra Member

Pypes MM is Loud at WOT and has amazing sound but also very managable for Daily driving under 2500rpms

Stingers are decently loud and have great tone in the lower RPMs

I would recommend either, or if you are looking to stay chambered- Pypes Violators are nice aswell. My mom runs them on her California Special.

If you are okay with spending some extra bucks Im a fan of Corsa, but Ive only heard them on my uncles GT500- Not a GT.
Old 2/3/08, 03:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am interested in what mufflers people suggest to run with your longtubes. I have recently installed OBX longtubes and have GTA mufflers with them. I am not real happy with the mid RPM raspy rat-atat-tat I get with them now. I am thinking it is going to take a fully chambered muffler to fix this issue. Also I do not think it has anything to do with brand of the longtubes. When you lose the cats this is what happens.
Scott
Old 2/3/08, 03:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Scott, get some resonators......

Hey Jon, try it with the Flows, you can always swap later.
Old 2/3/08, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Hey Scott, get some resonators......

Hey Jon, try it with the Flows, you can always swap later.

Well I am running the resonator H-pipe that comes with the OBX headers. It does not impress me at all. I know you like yours but what brand and size are they?? I need to take a ride with you on the 15th if you are still coming!!
Scott
Old 2/3/08, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Well I am running the resonator H-pipe that comes with the OBX headers. It does not impress me at all. I know you like yours but what brand and size are they??
Scott
18" Dynamax (Walker) resonators.......
Old 2/3/08, 04:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
18" Dynamax (Walker) resonators.......

I will check them out!!!
Old 2/3/08, 04:11 PM
gpp
GT Member

i had the flowmasters on mine befoe the headers and cats and it was too loud and drowned bad at about 2200 rpm.put the kooks setup on and it was way too loud.put the stock muffler on and its louder than stock setup and no drowne.course im 57 and have learned that noise doesnt make power and the drone is something i dont like.
Old 2/3/08, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by gpp
i had the flowmasters on mine befoe the headers and cats and it was too loud and drowned bad at about 2200 rpm.put the kooks setup on and it was way too loud.put the stock muffler on and its louder than stock setup and no drowne.course im 57 and have learned that noise doesnt make power and the drone is something i dont like.
So you're running kooks & stock mufflers? I'm interesting in upgrading my headers while leaving the mufflers stock (I'm only 24, but I agree, noise does not equal power). How much louder than stock is it? I'm already at the volume I'm comfortable with using just a CAI.. do those kooks make it significantly louder?
Old 2/3/08, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Scott, I had the same experience when I installed (your) o/r prochamber to my GTA's.... very tin-can rattly sounds.... when I installed the straight-through Pypes MM's that went away and the tone is now smooth (although loud as heck). I would stay away from chambered mufflers and go with a straight-through muffler.
Old 2/3/08, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

By the way, here is a clip of a s197 that is running Kooks LT's with Pypes MM's... this is what I call "The Perfect Exhaust". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ftc82mT7I
Old 2/3/08, 09:45 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm running Kooks with catted x-pipe and Borla stingers. I am very happy with rpm's under 2500 rpm, and probably above 4000 rpm. But I am really not sure between 2500 and 4000. Its loud and a little rat-a-tat-tat in this area and with 4.10's I'm in this range anytime I accelerate. Would going bacl to stock mufflers help, I do love the headers, but I like something a little more rumble in the mid rpm's.
Old 2/4/08, 02:48 PM

Scott, I'm running Pypes O/R H pipe w/GTA's. Love the power. But I also get the snarl around 2400/2800 rpm's. doesn't matter how I drive it.
with 4.10's this is my normal range. I might try going back to stk mufflers.
If it doesn't help I will go back to the stk H pipe and add FRPP X pipe w/GTA's.
Old 2/4/08, 04:58 PM
GT Member

alright so i'm definitely gonna push you towards the pypes mid mufflers
they are a pain to install but well worth it
i have american racing long tubes, x pipe, and the MM so yours should sound VERY similar

heres mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8S5_sUu5K8
Old 2/4/08, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Larmo
Scott, I had the same experience when I installed (your) o/r prochamber to my GTA's.... very tin-can rattly sounds.... when I installed the straight-through Pypes MM's that went away and the tone is now smooth (although loud as heck). I would stay away from chambered mufflers and go with a straight-through muffler.

Hi Dan,
I am sure you are alot younger than me. No way I could stand that Pypes mid muffler system with my longtubes. You forget that is what Larry (Airecare84) had when we installed his OBX headers. He only left it on for a week or two before selling it and putting on his GTA's. Way to loud for us old guys!! The Pypes system is not the answer for me. I would like to be able to talk to the person sitting next to me if I wanted too. But I am glad you found your perfect exhaust set up!!!
Scott
Old 2/4/08, 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I'm running Kooks with catted x-pipe and Borla stingers. I am very happy with rpm's under 2500 rpm, and probably above 4000 rpm. But I am really not sure between 2500 and 4000. Its loud and a little rat-a-tat-tat in this area and with 4.10's I'm in this range anytime I accelerate. Would going bacl to stock mufflers help, I do love the headers, but I like something a little more rumble in the mid rpm's.
Originally Posted by 07wildstang
Scott, I'm running Pypes O/R H pipe w/GTA's. Love the power. But I also get the snarl around 2400/2800 rpm's. doesn't matter how I drive it.
with 4.10's this is my normal range. I might try going back to stk mufflers.
If it doesn't help I will go back to the stk H pipe and add FRPP X pipe w/GTA's.

Hey Don and Gary,
I have also been thinking about going back to the stockers myself and just welding on a good looking tip. I actually tried my stock mufflers with my old Mac offroad Prochamber and I really liked the sound. Much more aggressive than the stock set up. Here it is! I am conviced that it will take a chamber muffler to give me the "NO Drone" sound that I want. I am just not sure it has been made yet.
Scott

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...mufflers-1.flv
Old 2/4/08, 07:12 PM
gpp
GT Member

just guessing i would say the stock mufflers with the kooks headers and converters would be about the same as the stock system with the gta muffers.maybe a tad louder but not much.the good thing is since you already have the stock mufflers it doesnt cost to find out.if its not loud enough try the gta muffler.
Old 2/5/08, 05:57 PM

scott, sounds great. I'll try my stockers with the o/r h and see what happens. I really dont want to lose the GTA's. most likely will go with stk H and frpp x.
I too am a little older and dont need the drone. I believe its called a touch of class. By the way, Love the 70. have a 66 myself....If one needs to be load, this is it.
Old 2/6/08, 12:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I had the Flowmasters when I installed the catted Kooks. Didn't like the sound much. Not loud enough and the tone just wasn't right for me. Picked up a set of Borla Stingers and am very pleased. Here's a run at WOT.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...55884959&hl=en

Quick Reply: Muffler Suggestions For Use w/Kooks LT's