GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Muffler Delete Sound Clip

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/05, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by subzero05@January 12, 2005, 11:08 PM
took your advise and had my company build me one too.Since i work for an exhaust company I have little perks when it comes to doing custom stuff so I had the fabrication boys make me a kit that eliminated the mufflers and I installed the Banks eliminator kit (thought it was a catchy name), and at any time I can re-install the factory pipes and mufflers if I need to take it into the dealer or go on a long trip whatever.All I can say is WOW!..It literally scared my 5 & 2 year old when I brought it home and fired it up.Re-clamp everything behind the cats near the h-pipe and at the axles and we rigged some extra hangers on the kit so I can change everything over in my driveway in about an hour!
Very cool Chris, glad you like it. Someone posted that it sounds like WWIII & it does. If you haven't done a CAI yet try my Poor Mans mod, it also helps. Please post pics if you have them.

PS Sorry you scared the kids, but a funny aside. Warm day a while back & everyone has their windows down. I'm at a stoplight & a ricer behind me gives me a rev with his fart can. So I respond with something similar to my clip, long high rpm for a few seconds. I thought his girlfriend was going to go through the sunroof & the looks on their faces, priceless.
Old 1/13/05, 07:19 AM
GT Member

So to really get this:

You guys are saying that deleting the mufflers improves performance and mpg??

If so, I wouldn't doubt a second to cut them.

Can we get a soundclip of going through the gears?
:worship:

(And sorry, for being so stupid, but what's a Poor Mans CAI?)
Old 1/13/05, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Pony, after looking more closely to your pics, mine looks almost IDENTICAL to yours!..The pipes, hanger location and even the tips!..I have installed our Banks tips that we have here and look almost identical to yours...Do you still have yours clamped at the axle back location so you could change them in and out too?..I will try a get a couple pics of mine up too shortly..It is WICKED though, no question!
Old 1/13/05, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

John

Here is the link for my po mans cai. Works great.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...l=poor+mans+cai
Old 1/13/05, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Chris

Yes, I can put my stock mufflers back on quickly if need be.

Did you make a cat back system? Mine is just an axle back.

That's cool you work for an exhaust company. You should make an "X" pipe & let us know how it works out.
Old 1/18/05, 03:49 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

OK sorry for the noob questions but,

Does a muffler delete get the loudest sound out of your exhaust possible or would somthing like offroad pipes be loader?
What is the loudest setup?
Did you notice a difference in sound/performance when you simply removed the mufflers to when you added the pipes to come out the back?
I took the mufflers off yesterday to see how it sounded and it is awesome, I now need to go have pipes fitted to run tips to the back.
What would you recommend to do this right?
Is this all you guys did? I noticed a post where someone mentioned catback and axleback, does this mean you guys did more than just delete the mufflers and added piping and tips to the already existing pipes where they would naturally end and the mufflers would start?
Thanks in advance
Old 1/18/05, 03:54 PM

I just checked out your pics PONY XPRESS and noticed that you got rid of the bend, did this make it even louder than keeping the bend?
Is there another location further up that they unbolt?
I would like to be able to maintain the ability to put the mufflers back on for warranty purposes, if need be.
Old 1/18/05, 05:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey rrobello

I usually do all my own work on all of my vehicles. But without a pipe bender I had to have it done by a shop. I was referred to a shop by one of my customers & they were very obliging.

Pics are deceiving but we just made up some aluminized pipe to fit the stock axle pipe. Be sure to notch the new pipe so as to fit over the factory rivet on the axle pipe. We just made a nice slow smooth bend to the tips. I would highly recommend the tips I used. They are built well & look fantastic. Stock muffs go right back on.

Once you get the noise out the back of the car it is fairly loud. Especially at WOT. But everyone is loving it. When I do hole shots the car spins the wheels like crazy & I can hold it steady at close to red line & everyone freaks out.

I have been on a mission to seek out & destroy "Fart Can Dojo's". I hit one today in Oceanside, NY. I backed up against the shops open garage door & gave them a double barrel of American V8. The guys in the shop didn't believe that the car was stock because of the way it sounds. These guys are also into 5.0's. They freaked.

I wouldn't add anything else to the muffler deletes (X pipe) unless you do a flash. But expect to be very loud.

As far as I am concerned this is the best system for the stock converters for sound, cost & looks.
Old 1/18/05, 09:05 PM
Cobra Member

I agree with Pony totally.It is the most wicked sounding exhaust i have heard and Believe me I have heard many in my line of work.Some nice 4' exhaust tips with 3inch inlets do the trick nicely!...Our Banks tips looks awesome on the car.We used my car as the prototype and if enough people are interested in it I am sure we can produce and release the kit for sale.We can certainly sell the tips if anyone wants them if you guys want to make your own too!
Old 1/18/05, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Chris.

Those tips look very similar to mine. 3" inlet, 4" outlet, 12" long. Mine seems to have a finished lip inside that goes in about 1" & really makes the tip. If you make your own tips try to have them finish the inner lip, it is awesome.
Old 1/18/05, 11:07 PM

Thanks PONY XPRESS, it definately sounds mean without the mufflers, and I am glad to hear it will keep that sound even after it flows the rest of the way to the rear end. What kind of tips did you use? and where can I get some? I will check your post again to find out, but if you have a second to make it easy on me, Id appreciate it. Thanks again.
Old 1/19/05, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rrobello@January 19, 2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks PONY XPRESS, it definately sounds mean without the mufflers, and I am glad to hear it will keep that sound even after it flows the rest of the way to the rear end. What kind of tips did you use? and where can I get some? I will check your post again to find out, but if you have a second to make it easy on me, Id appreciate it. Thanks again.
Tip brand name is "Volt"

Part # 577481

Call local muffler shops, parts houses, maybe Summit.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Enjoy
Old 1/19/05, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Mine actually have a double walled inside type lip you speak of ,but the pic doesn't really show it that well.Any of the nicer 4 inch tips will really look good back there as they fill in the cut-out very nicely.
Old 1/19/05, 12:30 PM

I think your set-up looks awesome! Looks alot better when you can't see the mufflers from under the rear bumper - more classic.

Have you dynoed your 'Stang yet? It'd be really interesting to find out what your car is pulling.
Old 1/19/05, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by imook16@January 19, 2005, 1:33 PM
I think your set-up looks awesome! Looks alot better when you can't see the mufflers from under the rear bumper - more classic.

Have you dynoed your 'Stang yet? It'd be really interesting to find out what your car is pulling.
Thanks

I had my car about one week & painted the stock mufflers flat black because I couldn't stand looking at them anymore. There is a thread some place on the forum. That lasted about another week till I realized I needed more sound & looks. I did my Poor Mans CAI & then I came up with the muffler delete idea.

I hope to do a flash come spring time & a dyno. I use my car everyday for business so won't go to crazy on mods. New Cobra may be my toy.