GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MSD DashHawk

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/07, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let me know when they come in man! I'm going to shoot over and pick it up!
Old 2/6/07, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor

They're in!!
Old 2/6/07, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
They're in!!
SEE YOU AT 1:00!
Old 2/6/07, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor

All DashHawk orders have shipped! For tracking info, PM me. Most of you should recieve tracking info in your email from UPS QuantimView. We're getting low on stock! Let's get these last view sold!!!

Thanks!
CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/6/07, 08:10 PM
Former Vendor

Sold the last few. MSD just released another shipment and we bought almost all of them, we now have 34 in stock!!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 03:29 PM
Former Vendor

Get 10% off the MSD DashHawk when purchased in conjunction with a Coast Driveline Driveshaft! That's $270 dollars! With your driveshaft it's only $859.99 SHIPPED TO THE DOOR!!!
Old 2/8/07, 12:24 AM
Former Vendor

DashHawk orders:

1 - $299.99
2 - $289.99/pc.
5+ $270/pc.
Old 2/8/07, 12:23 PM
Former Vendor

People should be recieving their DashHawk's now!

CR
TillmanSpeed
Old 2/8/07, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Nevermind
Old 2/8/07, 09:51 PM
Former Vendor

Everything alright? You get your order okay?
Old 2/11/07, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Got my DashHawk yesterday, fast shipping, nice!

Overall, I'm pleased with it. A pleasant suprise was the MyColor type of display color adjustability. You can set the RGB code to match exacty the dash gauges color and brigthness and contrast.

I'm still figuring out what everything means. Some parameters I have no idea what a good/bad reading is, or if I should even bother monitoring it. The manual could be a little better. There is 5 pages of actual instruction, and 12 pages of vehicle application lists.

EDIT: The user's manual is on the CD, about 70 pages long, and even has a complete list of Diagnostic Trouble Codes. NICE!

I'm still trying to figure out a few things, such as timing. I don't think it is reading in degrees, because it reads around 40 most of the time, and I know my tune goes to 16 degrees max, so it must be some kind of percentage.

EDIT: The timing is reading accurately. AT WOT, it reads down in the teens, just like it was programmed on the dyno. I just never realized cruising around at partial throttle that timing is way up in the 30's and 40's.

And fuel pressure is in kPa, which 1 Pa (Pascal unit) is 145.04 x 10−6 of one psi. That's all cool, but it doesn't matter, because all that shows up on the display is "N/A". Several parameters such as fuel pressure and MAP are coming up "N/A", but I expect that they will be available with future updates.

But, the alert features are pretty cool. You can set Max coolant temp, speed, and RPM limits, and a few others. I got it blinking at an undisclosed double digit speed trying it out on the interstate. And you can set the RPM limit to get it to act as a shift light. The screen turns red and starts flashing so it's impossible to miss.

As far as mounting, somebody smarter than me will have to come up with a better place to mount. I tried on top of the steering column, but the hump in the middle made it tough to balance level. And the wire attaching from the rear comes out exactly on the tach pod chrome ring, which makes it tough to center. Not to mention, I knew I'd be playing with it a lot while driving (not a good idea, I know) and reaching through the steering wheel didn't sound like a good idea. Once I get all the parameters and displays set up the way I want, I will probably move it back there. I'm sure it possible, using more velcro than supplied with the kit, and bending the wire down or something.

So I just moved it over to the side. It's pretty stable there, and my knee doesn't hit it, and it just makes a couple of buttons on the radio tougher to get to, but no big deal. This is just temporary location anyway. It's held on with a single piece of velcro, but pretty stable since all the button are on the left side, right in front of where I mounted it.

Also, the point it hooks up into the OBDII could be a little more "low profile" IMO. Believe it or not from the pics, I never touched it with my leg on a 150 mile trip yesterday, but it's close when the clutch is pushed in.

Still have to play with it some more, and figure out what all the parameters mean, but regardless of my above complaints, I'm happy with the product for the price. I can clear DTC's on the fly now!

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/7/08 at 05:09 AM.
Old 2/11/07, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=Hatchman;841169]Got my DashHawk yesterday, fast shipping, nice!

I'm still trying to figure out a few things, such as timing. I don't think it is reading in degrees, because it reads around 40 most of the time, and I know my tune goes to 16 degrees max, so it must be some kind of percentage. And fuel pressure is in kPa, which 1 Pa (Pascal unit) is 145.04 x 10−6 of one psi. That's all cool, but it doesn't matter, because all that shows up on the display is "N/A". Several parameters such as fuel pressure and MAF are coming up "N/A", but I expect that they will be available with future updates.

Hatchman, thanks for the quick review.
I dont have one of the units now. I'm paying close attention to the reviews before purchasing.

I would have hoped that the "measure units" would be user definable.
I am surprised to learn that the unit doesnt display "MAF"
Also surprised the unit isnt displaying "timing"

The unit should be capable of reading all (allowed) inputs that the ECM is seeing.
Maybe there is a reset feature on the unit? Try resetting and see if this helps.

As far as mounting goes, the unit could be mounted on the far left on the bottom side of the windshield with one of those suction cup swivel things that has a cradle for the device.

Hopefully MSD will make some changes.

Going to wait for more reviews.
Old 2/11/07, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor

Yea give it a week or two, as this is a brand new unit. MSD is going to be releasing updates, and I'm sure those features will be available. They told me on the phone that for Ford vehicles, MAP Pressure and Short Term fuel trim, etc should all be programmed in. I could give MSD a shout for you. The update might already be available, just not on their website. I'll post back Monday morning. Glad you're happy with it, though! THANKS FOR THE REVIEW!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/11/07, 11:10 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

http://propods.com/new_products_edge.htm Too bad they don't make these for the mustang yet.
Old 2/11/07, 11:19 PM
Cobra R Member

That's similar to what I was looking for. Although, a nice center dash pod with the square instead of 2 round gauges would be nice as well. Unfortunately, my wallet is telling me to stop buying stuff.
Old 2/12/07, 10:33 AM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Got my dashhawk last friday. Took only 4 days to get here (europe). Nice little device. Very easy to use. Just gotta figure out where to put it. I'm thinking of something with a gooseneck.
Thanks for the fast service CR.
Old 2/12/07, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor

That wasn't UPS. That was me flying over you with a box and a parachute!

Old 2/12/07, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Still waiting for mine...............

Hate being on the west coast and all my mods come frome the east coast
Old 2/12/07, 08:14 PM
Former Vendor

You should have got yours today, let me know and I'll call UPS and rip them a new one! They've been failing me all week, and I'll add it to my list of complaints!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/13/07, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Got mine today, THANKS CR !!

Quick Reply: MSD DashHawk