The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Moroso Catch Can up close (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/moroso-catch-can-up-close-478813/)

fdjizm 12/3/09 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409 (Post 5772988)
I believe that's the UPR one. You only need one for the driver's side and make sure it's 5/8ths fittings & hose not the 3/8ths they normally send you.

Gotcha so this would work fine? i guess some people just like serious amouints of bling and some people just go to home depot lol

JedCranium 12/3/09 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by fdjizm (Post 5772966)
I am looking into these catch cans.. do you need two? one for each valve cover? i get that from these ebay pictures...

Passenger side
http://www.upr-images.com/ENGINE/5032/5032-03.gif
Driver side
http://www.upr-images.com/ENGINE/503...an-install.gif

??

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409 (Post 5772988)
I believe that's the UPR one. You only need one for the driver's side and make sure it's 5/8ths fittings & hose not the 3/8ths they normally send you.

I like this unit also it just didn't have the drain feature. I would stay clear from the "Home Depot" solution that's just my personal opinion. Whatever you do the thing has to work first and foremost. Second if it can look good than that's a plus.

69Mach1-409 12/3/09 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by fdjizm (Post 5772990)
Gotcha so this would work fine? i guess some people just like serious amouints of bling and some people just go to home depot lol

I've had it on my Whippled GT for a few months now. It's worked fine.

I too suggest staying away from the 'Home Depot' ones.. they hold too little and, from what I've read, often cause more problems then they solve.

cdynaco 12/3/09 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 5772941)
Are you talking about this unit...>

NO - the one you pictured is NOT the BKU unit and you can tell by how the inlet and outlet is necked down creating a restriction.

Dude there is no comparison to the Moroso unit. This is exactly what I'm getting away from a Home Depot style solution.

You know, you shouldn't be slamming a vendor that you obviously know nothing about. BKU's is not that crap springloaded air compressor water separator made of plastic that sucks the screen into your intake. And while you may like your shiny aluminum can, you can't get a visual nor is it flow tested for your engine specs.

BKU Motorsports is a race shop and Brett has a lifetime history with Ford. These are special made OIL separators designed to withstand higher temps of the engine compartment. He flow tests the unit to meet the cfm specs for the 4.6 3V (and other engines) to maintain the proper flow rates. The petcock is a threaded brass drain with an O ring. And he can set them how however you like depending where you want to mount it for not much money. And ask about the extra service he has provided other members.

http://www.charliehorse.com/BKU%20install%203%20w.JPG

70MACH1OWNER 12/3/09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5773172)
You know, you shouldn't be slamming a vendor that you obviously know nothing about. BKU's is not that crap springloaded air compressor water separator made of plastic that sucks the screen into your intake. And while you may like your shiny aluminum can, you can't get a visual nor is it flow tested for your engine specs.

BKU Motorsports is a race shop and Brett has a lifetime history with Ford. These are special made OIL separators designed to withstand higher temps of the engine compartment. He flow tests the unit to meet the cfm specs for the 4.6 3V (and other engines) to maintain the proper flow rates. The petcock is a threaded brass drain with an O ring. And he can set them how however you like depending where you want to mount it for not much money. And ask about the extra service he has provided other members.

Yeah Jed...got to agree with Charlehorse on this one. I also have the BKU Motorsports oil separator. It does everything as advertised. While I agree it doesn't have the "Bling" factor of your Moroso at least I can see the crap in mine and empty it as needed without taking the whole thing apart to see what I have captured. Just another opinion. And at $60 bucks shipped with exta hose and fittings !!

06GT 12/3/09 05:40 PM

Someone please post a link to where we can buy this BKU Motorsports setup. Googling "BKU Motorsports" turns up nothing.

topoffGT 12/3/09 05:51 PM

Are you talking about this unit...>

Dude there is no comparison to the Moroso unit. This is exactly what I'm getting away from a Home Depot style solution. This is just an off the counter part (w/ to many adapters) that is semi effective and leaky at times if you run synthetic oil. Cost effective yes, but effective MEH. If you're motor is blown that's even more reason not to go down this path. I know a lot of people take this route but it's not for me this unit doesn't raise the bar to me as a separator, plus it's FuGly!

http://www3.telus.net/albrecht/oil_s...of_the_box.jpg

Based on the feedback in this thread, the BKU unit seems to be a high quality piece. Speaking from experience, you should definitely stay away from the Home Depot/Northern Tool type units that are actually designed to keep moisture out of air compressor lines. Mine dripped oil out of the bottom onto the headers which really STUNK!

I switched to the UPR oil separator and it works fine. I did add hydraulic hoses because the supplied hoses will collapse under vacuum. All I had to cut the hydraulic hose was a hacksaw, and it was a PITA!

cdynaco 12/3/09 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT (Post 5773344)
Someone please post a link to where we can buy this BKU Motorsports setup. Googling "BKU Motorsports" turns up nothing.

I just dropped him a note through the ebay email form. I'll post his new contact info when he replies.

TacoBill 12/3/09 09:51 PM

I just run K&N breathers... done. :p

JedCranium 12/3/09 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBill (Post 5773501)
I just run K&N breathers... done. :p

:topic::p

colbymh 12/4/09 01:25 AM

What charlie said. And i posted his phone number on the 1st page. Doesnt get more simple than that. He is now located in tennesse

King Taco 12/4/09 11:53 AM

dude that moroso looks sweet but i can't find it on the lethal performance website

where can i get it installed? I'm in socal as well, thanks.

fdjizm 12/4/09 12:17 PM

Well went to home depot, got a husky filter, modified the element a bit to breathe better, sealed up the bottom nipple good. went to napa got some 1/2 fuel line, went to ace got some 1/4 brass fittings.

Filter: 12.00
Fuel hose: 3.00
fittings: 2.00
clamps: 3.00

Total 20 and some change. i have heard nothing but good things about the simple husky filters, anything wrong was due to the installation. this should do the trick as it has for many others simple :)

cdynaco 12/4/09 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by fdjizm (Post 5773715)
Well went to home depot, got a husky filter, modified the element a bit to breathe better, sealed up the bottom nipple good. went to napa got some 1/2 fuel line, went to ace got some 1/4 brass fittings.

Filter: 12.00
Fuel hose: 3.00
fittings: 2.00
clamps: 3.00

Total 20 and some change. i have heard nothing but good things about the simple husky filters, anything wrong was due to the installation. this should do the trick as it has for many others simple :)

Well good luck with that WATER separator with 1/4" fittings, its low temp plastic bowl in your engine compartment, and suckable screen filter for your intake. I mean 1/4" - yeah that's about the size of the PVC tube you're replacing right? ;)

fdjizm 12/4/09 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5773729)
Well good luck with that WATER separator with 1/4" fittings, its low temp plastic bowl in your engine compartment, and suckable screen filter for your intake. I mean 1/4" - yeah that's about the size of the PVC tube you're replacing right? ;)

There is no screen filter... it's a sintered brass/bronze (w/e it's made out of) cylinder that i drilled holes in facing the output side.

i drilled enough that when i blow through it matches the "freeness" of the stock piece :)

and if you actually look through the stock pvc pipe it's not much larger than my brass pieces at all. havent heard one complaint on the thing and people have been using it for years, you figure one would have melted or something right? lol or broke or w/e

JedCranium 12/5/09 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by King Taco (Post 5773709)
dude that moroso looks sweet but i can't find it on the lethal performance website

where can i get it installed? I'm in socal as well, thanks.

It's a new product so it may not be on there web site. Try calling Lethal Performance directly and tell them you want the Moroso "kit" for the catch can used on the Hemi Charger. The part number I got from Doug at Moroso is 85472. You can install it yourself it's fairly ez with basic skills and a little pre-planning save yourself some dough. If you think this install is more that you want to handle Greg at RET (Racers Edge Tunning) or GTR Performance can install it based on where you live in SoCal RET's in Downey and GTR is in Rancho Cucamunga. The unit is installed on the drivers side of the engine, you can connect it to the cam cover using you stock quick connect that you have already.

JedCranium 12/5/09 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 5773299)
Yeah Jed...got to agree with Charlehorse on this one. I also have the BKU Motorsports oil separator. It does everything as advertised. While I agree it doesn't have the "Bling" factor of your Moroso at least I can see the crap in mine and empty it as needed without taking the whole thing apart to see what I have captured. Just another opinion. And at $60 bucks shipped with exta hose and fittings !!

Sounds like you're happy with the unit and that's all that's all that really matters. Each person is entitled to an opinion base on their own likes and experiences. This topic of oil separators, catch cans, breathers seems to be a passionate topic on this fourm and just about every other automotive fourm out there. We all have different needs applications, ways of serviceability we want to deal with these system. Luckly the basic principal of the catch can is not rocket science like some believe.

JedCranium 12/5/09 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5773172)

Please elaborate on BKU Motorsports. When you do a web search all you get are Ebay comments. You mentioned a "Race" shop where and what do they specialize in? I did a BBB search and got nothing. "Flow tested to your engine specs" Please...I have some beach front property in Alaska if you're interested (Humor). :D That said I do respect you're choice if your happy with the unit great! I just found some of parts to this tale let's say interesting. :)

cdynaco 12/5/09 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by JedCranium (Post 5774111)
Please elaborate on BKU Motorsports. When you do a web search all you get are Ebay comments. You mentioned a "Race" shop where and what do they specialize in? I did a BBB search and got nothing. "Flow tested to your engine specs" Please...I have some beach front property in Alaska if you're interested (Humor). :D That said I do respect you're choice if your happy with the unit great! I just found some of parts to this tale let's say interesting. :)

Brett and his wife race in the Lighnting series. They moved from FL to TN this summer and I haven't been in contact with them since they moved. We lost several threads on this subject during the TMS crash.

So you don't believe there's an engineered design with the PVC system? Then why aren't both the left and right bank tubes the same size?? Especially with the 4.6 not having an actual PCV but merely an open tube...
From the factory, the 'intake' (passenger side) is very small to allow venting but not allow free backflow of crankcase gasses. The 'outlet' (drivers side) is larger so the flow of gasses is exhausted here back into the intake. If you neck down your separator & lines to 1/4" you don't think you'll be building excess back pressure? You don't think you'll be countering engineered specs?

You really think Brett would make up b.s. to sell a unit for a lousy $50 or 60 bucks - with transmission line? (I paid $45 back in April w/petcock added, w/o trans line, w shipping.) There's not that much margin in it. Once you hold it in your hand you realize its a quality unit. And he bench tests & modifies his units depending on NA or FI to stay within spec. And there's plenty of horror stories from people that didn't buy a properly designed unit.

bigray327 12/5/09 06:55 AM

If you're motor is blown that's even more reason not to go down this path.

If you have forced induction, you really should be running a breather/catch can system, and delete the PCV system altogether. There are numerous threads about it here and elsewhere. Blown users will find that no system that feeds back into the intake does the job completely.

If you want to see my breather/can set-up, with a video of air coming out of the breather while the car is idling, see here.