GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mods and their gains

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/06, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to order my car a few months ago, but some circumstances prevented me like cash problems and school stuff. Now i think the car is back into the picture and need advice on mods, as some new stuff has come out since i had last researched. My goal for my car is to have a daily driven, reliable automatic coupe with over 300rwhp with no forced induction or nitrous. So basically it is just going to be bolt on for me as far a performance goes. Heres my question: will a jlt cai, brenspeed or bamachips tune, steeda ud pullies, borla exhaust, and Pypes off road h pipe achieve the over 300rwhp mark? Also will a cat back exhaust add any thing over a axle back?

Also in addition to power mods i would like some handling ones as well. I was thinking about the Saleen suspension, Steeda lc arms, steeda upper 3rd link, steeda g track brace, steeda strut brace, steeda bumpsteer, steeda panhard bar, and steeda camber plates. Will these modes be too extreme for daily driving? And will they be ok at the drag strip?

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.
Old 1/12/06, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

No one has any opinions on this? Come on guys........as doctor evil says, "Throw me a frickin bone here" lol
Old 1/12/06, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

if you want 300 HP to the rear tires---without forced air---a tune and intake and a catback will not get you there---i have about 283 to the wheels with that----not sure if headers, pulleys and charge motion plates may get you there on top of it- -as well, i am running 93 octane---
Old 1/12/06, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I have an opinion.

The mods you list will not get you to 300 rwhp unless you are on a very generous dyno, especially with an automatic. Mine is a manual and I dynoed stock @ 245 on a very stingy Superflow dyno. After the JLT and custom tune I was @ 262. The pulls were made about an hour apart on a very humid 88 degree day. My tuner took the DTP 93 octane tune I got from JLT and tweaked it a bit. Your results may vary, but I got 17 rwhp and 25 rwtq for this combo.

My Borla catback added some high quality decibles, but nothing more. The only difference between the catback and axle back is the shiny new pipes. IMO, they look just like the stock pipes (only shinier!)

I don't know first hand, but UD pullies will net you single digit hp by most accounts.

H-pipe = not much without longtubes.

In the suspension department I am stock so I have nothing to share.

Final thoughts........

Forget the dyno #s, throw in some gears, a CAI, a tune and go have a BLAST!
Old 1/12/06, 04:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by cmm101@January 11, 2006, 6:37 PM
Heres my question: will a jlt cai, brenspeed or bamachips tune, steeda ud pullies, borla exhaust, and Pypes off road h pipe achieve the over 300rwhp mark? Also will a cat back exhaust add any thing over a axle back?

In a word: Yes. But it may be close with an automatic.

To get 300 at the wheel, you need:
CAI
93 octane tume, prefer custom after all mods on
UDP's
Brenspeed (Pypes) o/r H pipe (or similar)

That should get you there, my car had 286 at the wheel with just the CAI and custom tune. I should note I picked up about 10hp from just going with a custom dyno tune from Doug at Bamachips over the generic 93 octane tune I got from SCT. UDP's good for around 10 more, as is the offroad H pipe from Brenspeed (he dyno'd it at 10hp gain, and I trust him).

A/B's won't give you anything measurable, nor will a throttle body spacer or throttle body, but the later two are good for throttle response. The stock pipes from the stocklcats to the A/B's are pretty good, with a nice h, so replacing them isn't going to give you much either, except a different sound if you go with an X pipe. The Pypes H pipe will replace the stock cats, and is dyno'd for a 10 HP gain.

Nice list of mods, should work well. Don't worry too much about the 300 number. A dyno is just a tuning tool, not a measure that one car is faster than another.
Old 1/12/06, 05:12 PM
V6 Member

ok thanks for the input guys. i no its all about having fun, but i have no idea why im stuck on this 300rwhp mark. I guess i just want to show a lt1 f-body how its done, mabey even an ls1, that is the main reason. Any one have any experience with their 05's up against at lt1 or even a ls1, i really just want to no what it takes to beat one. My friend has a 2003 gt and he has o/r x, 3.73's, intake, and tune, he gets wasted by an lt1 auto with just a cat-back.
Old 1/12/06, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Clem@January 12, 2006, 3:33 PM
Forget the dyno #s, throw in some gears, a CAI, a tune and go have a BLAST!
Nicely said!

And you can add the axlebacks for the appropriate "growl"...

p.s. With an auto trans, I'd recommend you call Doug at BamaChips and get the "Auto Magic" tune. You won't regret it!! Trust me!
Old 1/12/06, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

don that was my idea to get that auto "magic" tune from him after i read your thread about it a few weeks ago. I was orginally going to get a tune by Lido at AA(im in detroit), but i hate the idea of only the c&l being the only option.